Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Some people will believe anything....
PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:21 pm 

Not to get too deep in the mud here, but let me say it is very easy to accept the theory of your choice as long as you disregard the evidence presented against it.

I am waiting, but not holding my breath, to see all coastal cities underwater, or the detailed description of how life formed that does not include a line something like, "and then a miracle happened".

The arguments here are not new, and I expect will outlive me. My life is easier if I don't let myself get too excited about it.
I think it is past my bedtime.

John

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:30 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
Pix, I wouldn't spend more than 30 seconds talking to any of these people, no sense in both of us acting like an idiot.

Somehow--without really thinking about it--I've managed to avoid the real Looney Tunes. With age, one learns when to react to some absurd statement, and when to just utter something pleasantly non-committal and just walk away.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 1:06 pm 

I haven't come across any serious wackadoos but I have known some seemingly intelligent people who surprised me with their ignorance of things typically taught in grade school or easily learned by just being alive and awake.

RRM

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 1:27 pm 

Even the "serious wackadoos" often know when to keep their mouth shut.....

One magic moment in my past:
Sending money to my son who was living in Prague. I'm at the bank.

"I'd like to send some money to Prague."

"Huh? where's that?"

"It's a city in the Czech Republic**."

.....Blank stare......

"In Europe (voice showing first signs of stress...)"

"Europe.....is that a country?"

"Could I speak with a supervisor"

many years later, I was confronted with a claimed statistic about the percentage of USA children that could not find the USA on a world map.....

**When my son arrived there, it was still Czechoslovakia

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:40 pm 

tubemaster wrote:
I am waiting, but not holding my breath, to see all coastal cities underwater, or the detailed description of how life formed that does not include a line something like, "and then a miracle happened".

John

Darwinian evolution does not attempt to explain how life formed. It instead describes how life evolved into the rich diversity of plants and animals we have today. So far, there's been nothing found in the fossil record to disprove Darwin's theories.

Obviously, the fossil records have gaps, which is to be expected given that we're talking hundreds of millions of years. And there is a lot yet to understand, much like everything else around and even inside us.

With regards to the formation of life: there have been experiments that show how amino acids can form from basic elements found on earth. There is of course a long way to go from such experiments to producing a single cell living organism, which is unlikely to be achieved in our lifetimes. Who knows, we may never get there, but the journey is what is fascinating to people that follow science.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:41 pm 

Two thoughts come immediately to mind.

One- all too many people believe something and then migrate towards those who support their preconceived notions or beliefs

Two- and perhaps related- you cannot fix stupid

Perhaps towards a solution to both of the above would be a better education system? Further thoughts on this I’m afraid would get the thread locked so ;-x

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 4:21 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Two thoughts come immediately to mind.
Two- and perhaps related- you cannot fix stupid

Stupid isn't really the problem. Nor is smart a cure.

I work with developmentally disabled people. Not one of them I know is a conspiracy theorist. I'm not saying there aren't any but I know many and as far as I know, none of them are.

A friend, fellow ham and electronic enthusiast that I know is a total conspiracy guy. Really smart, good guy but willing to believe any conspiracy you can come up with. In my small circle of ham friends I know at least one more conspiracy guy. He is also smart and educated. One of them is from one side of the political spectrum and the other from the opposite end.

Where it comes from I am not sure but it isn't because of stupidity.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

Flat Earthers are just as smart as non-vaccsers...cut from the same stump.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3