Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 29, 2020 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Some people will believe anything....
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 3:11 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
k3msb wrote:
So John, don't assume that if someone is a Christian that they believe in a young earth and man coexisting with dinosaurs.

I don't assume what you suggested. I didn't use the word "christian". I didn't say what you posted.

What I said was that I have met people with a religious faith who believe certain things. That's all. Don't infer anything else.

EDIT :: from your post, I have to think that you have met some of those same people that I have ... ?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:05 pm 

Steve Johnson wrote:
I want this shirt...

[]

I love it---where can I buy 100?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:16 pm 

I'm periodically reminded of one "magic moment" in college: A student was struggling with getting a lab report that would satisfy the teacher. The basic issue was that he didn't address the technical issues correctly, and then covered it up with "fluff". In discussing how to get the "right" report, the teacher said:
"If you get good results and can explain them, then an elaborate report is not required. On the other hand, if you somehow manage to disprove Ohm's Law, we're going to need a more comprehensive writeup."

So, if you want to demonstrate that some aspect of current knowledge is false, take it back to first principles, lay out your logic, and then submit to peer review. All of the early pioneers in science had to stand up to peer review---why should we change the rules now??

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:38 pm 

The resurgence of irrational beliefs like flat earth sure seems to be on the rise, along with all sorts of conspiracy theories. Like Pix said, peer reviewed science for the win. I wear this shirt often:

Attachment:
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg [ 41.98 KiB | Viewed 873 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:58 pm 

I get my funny science shirts from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HW ... UTF8&psc=1

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 303.26 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:08 pm 

Here is one that references the flat earth.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 199.95 KiB | Viewed 862 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:14 pm 

For the Flat-Earthers..... How does one put a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around a flat earth? Or do you also not believe in satellite TV?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:28 pm 

Paul, I have the never trust an atom one, slightly different version. But I need the "that sucks" one!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:46 pm 

One recent inquiry into flat earthers revealed that a lot of these folks also tend to buy into other conspiracy theories. In such cases, being a flat earther would be simply a symptom of the more encompassing phenomenon of being attracted to conspiracy theories. Similar to what a previous poster stated, there's something about consciously choosing what to believe that feels empowering.

In the grand scheme, it takes all kinds, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:12 pm 

There is a theory that we only exist in a simulation, which in case the earth could be a cube, or a tube, or a whatever you could simulate on a computer modeling software. Oh why did I even get into this discussion, it's only simulated reality anyway. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:14 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Macrohenry wrote:
In the grand scheme, it takes all kinds, doesn't it?

As my younger and much smarter brother observes ....

... it may not necessarily take all kinds, but there is no denying that there are all kinds ...

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:22 pm 

Jim T. wrote -"The second example is anthropogenic global warming. Again insupportable by the hard facts and mathematics."

Anthropogenic global warming insupportable? Let's see....

Fifty years of scientific studies supporting it...
193 out of 195 countries and their scientists....
NASA and countless other scientific and environmental groups worldwide.....

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. The best opinions are the one supported by facts, and the facts are overwhelming.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:06 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. The best opinions are the one supported by facts, and the facts are overwhelming.

People can be very creative in the process of denying something they are not comfortable with....typical human behavior that is--to some extent--shared by all of us.

The problem with the overwhelming facts of climate change is that we can't see and touch them. To be sure, the changes are obvious---but the average man in the street can't identify with the science that predicts both qualitatively and quantitatively the cause and effect between human activities and what is happening. Add to this the activities of individuals who have some motivation to influence public opinion, and you've got the recipe for the "underinformed denial".
What's especially troublesome is to see people with a technical background that can't (or won't) connect the dots between some pretty basic principles of chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, etc. Let's see now: The energy balance of the Earth depends on the optical properties of the atmosphere; things like CO2, CH4, etc. change the optical properties; those same gases emanate from human activities. I've known 6th-graders that could connect the dots......

Early on in what NASA called the "Mission to Planet Earth", I was shipped of to a seminar on the emerging science. The point was clearly made that the Earth has gone through all kinds of cycles--with and without Homo Sapiens--and has survived.
The keeper quote from the presenter:
"The Earth will survive---the human race--I'm not so sure."

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 8:06 pm 

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Will Rogers

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:56 pm 

I don't think anyone really believes the earth is flat. There are those who get a kick out of jerking your chain to make themselves relevant. Just look at this, they have us talking about this nonsense and even arguing about science that has nothing to do with it. Scientific studies and theory's have been wrong in the past since the data was not complete or inaccurate so it's good to question them and who is paying or benefiting from the funding.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 11:38 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
I don't think anyone really believes the earth is flat. There are those who get a kick out of jerking your chain to make themselves relevant. Just look at this, they have us talking about this nonsense and even arguing about science that has nothing to do with it. Scientific studies and theory's have been wrong in the past since the data was not complete or inaccurate so it's good to question them and who is paying or benefiting from the funding.

I'd like to believe you, but: My experience is that there is a significant percentage of the population that--after talking to them for maybe an hour--you would have no clue what they understood or believed---about anything.
Which Is more ludicrous?
--believing the Earth is flat
--believing that Homo Sapiens and the dinosaurs coexisted

Homo Sapiens??---not always ;)

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 11:44 pm 

CaveRat wrote:
For the Flat-Earthers..... How does one put a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around a flat earth? Or do you also not believe in satellite TV?

Forget that---how about just trying to reconcile with the basic laws of motion, mass, gravity---all that annoying stuff??

And how do they explain plate tectonics?

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:27 am 

Pix, I wouldn't spend more than 30 seconds talking to any of these people, no sense in both of us acting like an idiot.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 2:11 am 

I'm convinced a majority, or a significant minority, of the so-called flat-earthers are a bunch of kids looking for an excuse to get together and buy T-shirts and party. Unfortunately, other examples of pseudo science are less benign and only serve to perpetuate ignorance at a time when such ignorance can be dangerous. Think of the idiots that rail against "government vaccines" and needlessly expose kids to serious yet preventable illnesses such as measles and whooping cough.

Separately, evolution has not been debunked either mathematically or biologically. The theory has certainly evolved since Darwin's day; most scientific frameworks have over 100+ years. But unlike nonsense such as "irreducible complexity", it still continues to be supported by actual evidence.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:22 am 

I learned not to argue with stupid people for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. :)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next