Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question and Opinions on painting cement floor in basement
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 9:53 pm 

I have a unfinished basement that has low pile carpeting. We are in this house over 26 years and the carpeting was here when we purchased this house. So far I ripped up about 30% of the carpet as I have to move a lot of things to remove the carpeting underneath. The wife and I are thinking to paint the floor as there is more dust now than before. I vacuumed the floor a few times but there is a coat of cement dust. Now my wife has allergies so I would think epoxy paint is out of the question as the smell will bother her.

Anyone here ever paint their basement? What did you use and is it durable?

Sal

Post subject: Re: Question and Opinions on painting cement floor in baseme
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 10:58 pm 

If you vacuumed it a few times and it is still dusty, you might have what is called "dusting" of the concrete. Basically, it is a failure of the surface to properly harden due to poor installation of the concrete. A paint might not stick if that is the case. See if the surface scratches easily with a screwdriver.

A floating vinyl floor is a good option. The inexpensive ones are self adhesive to one another and are really easy to install. Their durability is very good.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 11:24 pm 

I have painted several concrete floors in the past with floor paint designed for concrete. My experience has been excellent as long as the concrete surface was very good to excellent to begin with. If there is any issue with the surface before painting I think you will have issues with poor adhesion.

YMMV,
Sandy

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:14 am 

Scott,
I vacuumed the places I took off the carpeting twice and the grit feeling came back but I will vacuum it again and mop it with water to pick up all the grit and when dry I will try scratching the floor with a screwdriver. I did just try scratching it with a butter knife (closest thing I could grab) and it does not look good. I used the flooring called Allure from Home Depot in my foyer, leading up to the kitchen, the kitchen, hallway and the bathroom on my first floor about 8 years ago and the floor still looks good and I was thinking to use that in the basement, either that or laminate flooring if I can't paint the floor. I have no water problems in my basement since I installed rain gutters to move the rain away from the foundation.

Sandy,
I'm thinking I will go with laminate or Allure flooring as I don't the cement is as good as I thought. I have a 8 feet by 40 feet porch in front of my house and that concrete does not exhibit at all what my basement cement is doing...

Sal

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:50 am 

We laid a continuous Allure floor on a concrete slab in our rental suite and we really like it. It feels hard and cold if you're used to carpet, so you need a few throw rugs. On the up side, no dust, quick to mop.

For a damp basement floor, stores like HD or Lowes carry OSB (wood) squares with dimpled plastic undersides that raise the floor and provide a vapor barrier.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:07 pm 

Sal - it might be a good idea to first check how much moisture is coming up through the slab. Tape a piece of saran wrap to different sections of the floor, a square foot should do it. You'll be able to see just how much water you're dealing with. Of course, there will be seasonal variations. I would recommend Daich Coatings instead of paint. Excellent durability yet breathable. Naturestone or similar products are good alternative solutions as well, but the Daich products are very user friendly. Here's a link: http://daichcoatings.ca/home.html

Dan

P.S. - keep those caps dry!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:09 pm 

The builder of the home may have or not installed a poly barrier under the concrete floor.

Google this search term [concrete laitance removal]

I do not think you have to hire a concrete grinder.

I prepped a garage floor by first etching with muriatic acid, most thoroughly and rinsing.

Warning: Using acid to dissolve the laitance generates hydrogen gas. Turn off all pilot lights, do not smoke or make sparks, ventilate thoroughly for hours until the floor is dry.

I allowed it to dry using heated air for weeks. I then sealed using a two part epoxy, two coats a few days apart.

There will be a lot of solvent in the air same flammable issue as with the acid.

I am an asthmatic and had no issue with the fumes. The garage is above grade and all heavy than air fumes rolled out the door. When epoxy is full cured it may take a few weeks too, laid out heavy poly. A single sheet and bring the excess up the unfinished walls, cut excess latter as needed. Using 11/32" or slightly thicker, waterproof floor underlayment 4 x 8 sheets were spaced out with 1/8" gaps all around. Now the concrete was only 2 years old so I got away with using concrete nails, 1-1/4" long and a 5# sledge hammer, nailed down all the underlayment being careful not to dimple the underlayment and not have any protruding nails. I nailed every 16" or so, staggering at edges. Then installed pre-finished 1 foot square Tibbals oak parquet tiles using canned adhesive. At the time, the tiles were 25 cents each, not so today. The floor has been installed for 43 years without a problem. Obviously, the garage is my electronics lab... The tiles were 100% wood without any backing of any kind...

Such oak flooring cannot be washed by slopping water. Any oil spill will permanently stain. Grit will quickly wear off the finish and very heavy items with hard narrow casters will leave a permanent compression track.

If your home has a sump pump that often runs, wood tiles and any other engineered "woodish" product would be a disaster if wet. Waterproof underlayment would survive O.K.

If underlayment is used, stack the sheets with spacing sticks and allow to equalize any moisture for several weeks. Then the gap between sheets can be reduced to the thickness of a penny. Almost any tile could be laid and there would be no danger of tile crushing into the gaps nor the sheets expanding and buckling

Do use an underlayment that was certified plugged, no gaps internally.

The technique I used in prepping the concrete floor could accept any floor covering.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:51 pm 

Believe it or not we painted the entire concrete slab of our house with porch and patio paint. We did so because we have cats who seem to like barfing a lot and were ruining the carpet. That and wood flooring was going to cost a fortune. My wife bought a stenciling kit to make interesting patterns. The result is actually pretty cool and so far after 5 years the floor has really held up and doesn't even scratch. The paint is water based and had very little if any odor. It a Benjamin Moor product.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:44 pm 

I've taken up acres of old carpet, (was a flooring helper during some of my college time). You can't really tell what's going on with the floor until you get every bit of the carpet up and the conc. vacuumed and mopped several times. The conc. is pourus and the carpet lets fine sand and dirt fall through, so it's very hard to get clean.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:07 am 

Just to clarify, my basement and concrete floor is not damp but I will use clear plastic and duct tape just to make sure.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Sal

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:15 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Sal,

The company "Behr" makes a paint that is designed to cover concrete that might have dampness issues. It is also a bacteria killing finish that won't grow mold. I have used it a few times and it works well on concrete that did not cure as well as it should have. It seems to be absorbed by the pores of the concrete.

Just a thought...

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 11:06 pm 

While looking for a place to buy waterglass, to seal a tube base, I saw that it was used to seal

concrete. It seems to be easy to use, and has been used with success in a lot of places.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 2:37 pm 

glasdave wrote:
While looking for a place to buy waterglass, to seal a tube base, I saw that it was used to seal

concrete. It seems to be easy to use, and has been used with success in a lot of places.

A bit off topic, but we used waterglass to preserve eggs for the winter. Kept submerged in a waterglass solution, they'd remain fresh for many months - - the months the chickens weren't laying (or had been eaten. . .). It does seal concrete, and is an ingredient in many waterproofing products. Good stuff, and a natural mineral too.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 6:46 pm 

I would recommend Daich Coatings instead of paint. Excellent durability yet breathable. Naturestone or similar products are good alternative solutions as well, but the Daich products are very user friendly. Here's a link: http://daichcoatings.ca/home.html

Dan

P.S. - keep those caps dry![/quote]
Garry Sullivan of the radio home improvement show raves about this Nature Stone coatings stuff. Might be worth looking in to. However I would think winter would not be the time to do anything as you would not readily want to air out any fumes or odors at this time.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:04 am 

The thing about painting a cement floor is you need to cover your walking paths with something like indoor outdoor carpeting. Otherwise you will just wear a path in it once it starts chipping and it will look like hell.