Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I like Winter. AM radio listening
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:58 am 

I like winter. it is the only time I can pick up Am 740 from Toronto in the Chicago area. Have an 1950s RCA clock radio humming away I just replaced the filter and bypass caps on.

Post subject: Re: I like Winter. AM radio listening
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:31 am 

You can get Zoomer Radio year around on the internet;
http://www.zoomerradio.ca/

I'll sometimes get it on the PC, feed it to the stereo that outputs to one of my AM transmitters, and can then listen to it on any of my AM sets throughout the house.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:04 pm 

God,I hate winter.I would gladly give up all radio for six months per year to never experience it.Moving south just isn't feasible at this point.Here in NH,I can pick up am 740 (Zoomer radio) year round.About the only programming they have that interests me are the old radio shows at 10:00pm.

I used to like Art Bell's old show,Coast to Coast,so I thought I would check out "The Conspiracy Show" at 11:00pm on Sunday nights.Man,that show sucks.They draw you in with topics that sound interesting,but the guests just ramble and ramble on and never get to the point.When you finally think they are going to actually discuss the main subject,the host interrupts for a commercial break-like every six minutes.

I used to like "The Trivia Show" on CJAD 800 on Sunday mornings,but they have so many commercial breaks per hour now,it's just not worth listening to any more.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:04 pm 

I once heard Art talking about some apocalyptic scenario that sounded hopeless. A caller told Art that he believed in that and was so distressed that he was considering killing his whole family to avoid the horrors of whatever the looming disaster was. Got to hear old Art suddenly have to backpedal on that telling the guy it was not really that bad, don't do anything drastic, calm down, etc. But who knows the caller might have been a joker.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 4:05 am 

Heck, I can get am 740 right here in peekskill NY year round, at night. Granted it's better
in winter but it's my mainstay for listening. These days it's a two dial AK model 19 that does the
job.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 9:52 pm 

I can sympathize with trainman. During the winter, it seems that the AM740 signal comes in more strongly round here; at other times of the year, it can be a hit-and-miss affair so I often stream it. Of course some radios do a bit better than others.

I feel that the issue with hearing CFZM in the 'Chicagoland' area may be related to AM740 being partly overshadowed with a very powerful signal from WGN AM720. I am considering experimenting with wave traps to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 12:04 am 

chrisc wrote:
I can sympathize with trainman. During the winter, it seems that the AM740 signal comes in more strongly round here; at other times of the year, it can be a hit-and-miss affair so I often stream it. Of course some radios do a bit better than others.

I feel that the issue with hearing CFZM in the 'Chicagoland' area may be related to AM740 being partly overshadowed with a very powerful signal from WGN AM720. I am considering experimenting with wave traps to see if that helps.

I would suggest using a set with an air or ferrite loop, and experimenting with a tunable loop, like the Select-A-Tenna, or AN 200 by Grundig or with other labels. Or you can roll your own. It will not only increase signal reception when it's weak, but may be able to null out the competition, if coming from another direction.
I can usually get KUZZ/550/Bakersfield, and sometimes, by either re-orienting the radio or using my home brew tunable loop, can also get KFYI/550/Phoenix.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:22 am 

I do like that sort of activity in the winter. The early sunset means the local station goes off the air earlier and I can fire up the real oldies without hearing them bleed all over the dial. I bought an RC(RA/DA) in May and it had set on the shelf. The three tubes are dash A instead of 1 amp filament tubes. I was kinda afraid to mess with it as everyone says the audio trans are always bad. Mine is in superb condition. I cobbled together batteries and lo and behold the thing plays and pretty well too. It will drive a horn or cathedral good and loud but I have been using cans to save the filament battery charge. Using a ham radio dipole with it and getting DX after dark. Need to start looking at the LF beacons soon, too.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:08 pm 

Fifties, yes - I totally agree about tuned loops. I built one to Dave Schmarder's design and it makes a big difference with weak stations. It can pull in WSM 650 clearly - from here that's a comparable distance to AM740 .

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:46 pm 

I put up a rather temporary long wire yesterday...much improved over the antenna I had...more short wave and more AM. I will probably redo the long wire next summer.
RW

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:37 pm 

I hate to say it, because it ruined my interest in antennas for many years, But get yourself an internet radio.
With that you can get over 40,000 radio stations, from all over the world.
I get up in the morning and listen to WABC in NY, and later switch to OTR, Old Time Radio, such as 20th Century Radio or Hanks Gumshoe, or any of about 6 other OTR station I have programed into the radio. With an Internet radio, the world is your oyster!
BTW, I have my Internet radio connected to an FM transmitter, that way with a portable radio I can listen anywhere in the house, yard or workshop. Been doing that since 2011, it works great!

I have got my antenna interest back, I'm going through the motions of laying out a BOG antenna right now. A BOG is a Beverage on Ground. I had one but lost it to hurricane cleanup, it was a great antenna, they have a high signal to noise ratio.
A little description here.
http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/20 ... 00026.html

Mikek

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 8:01 pm 

I am in northwestern Oregon. A few nights ago, I was up much later than I should have been. I noted that many frequencies on the AM dial had heterodynes from trans-Pacific stations. Even one of local powerhouses on 750 kHz was receiving interference from a station on 747 kHz. Surprisingly, KOMO 1000, which should easily be receivable via skywave, was rather weak a the time.

I have not had interest in Internet radio because the programming doesn't interest me that much, particularly if it is something that a search engine has helped me find. The fun is in finding the oddball signals.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 8:53 pm 

+1 on the RA/DA being a great distance getter. Some earlier owner replaced the first tube
filament control with a carbon pile rheostat so I can get fine control over the filament current.
I actually run this with only one tube (earphones) to bring in am 740. The fine control does
a great job of regeneration adjustment.

The biggest interference for that station is not WGN but rather a nearby station just a bit
lower in frequency that is all in french. Probably another canadian station.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 12:15 am 

trainman wrote:
I like winter. it is the only time I can pick up Am 740 from Toronto in the Chicago area. Have an 1950s RCA clock radio humming away I just replaced the filter and bypass caps on.

I'm with you Tony, I enjoy the winter. I like the change of seasons and would be bored if the weather was always the same. Christmas with no snow and temps in the 70's would just not feel like Christmas to me. Now that I'm retired and the wife is set to at the end of the year, we can just stay in if the roads are bad and crank up the fire place and enjoy the warm cozy feeling while looking out the window at the falling snow. Listening to a live AM station is so much better than using a transmitter. I have transmitters and I do use them, but picking up a real broadcast the old fashion way is far more enjoyable to me especially with a 20's battery set where there's more to tuning one in.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 6:51 am 

Mike C. wrote:
... Here in NH,I can pick up am 740 (Zoomer radio) year round.About the only programming they have that interests me are the old radio shows at 10:00pm.
That's about it for me, too!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 1:36 pm 

I know about interent radio. I thought this was an antique radio site. LOL.

dont forget about Big Band Sunday Night on 740AM.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 7:44 pm 

trainman wrote:
I know about interent radio. I thought this was an antique radio site. LOL.
If you broadcast the internet source with an AM transmitter to your favourite vintage radios it still is!
trainman wrote:
... don't forget about Big Band Sunday Night on 740AM.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 10:27 pm 

AM740 has radio drama and comedy every night. That's what I listen for.

Probably nobody here remembers WOR's CBS radio mystery theater, or Bob and Ray.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 11:40 pm 

This is the best time of the year for listening to AM. On my way to work for 6:30 I alway tune around to see what’s there. With my longwire hooked up to my 38-690, I have a lot of fun. 740 sounds great.

I have a CCrane twin coil ferrite tunable antenna that’s great on my GE E101. You can null out noise and hear different stations on the same channel.

I especially like the early part of January. Once or twice a year the conditions lend themselves to extended dX sometimes 9-10 am.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 12:29 am 

Quote:
I hate to say it, because it ruined my interest in antennas for many years, But get yourself an internet radio.
With that you can get over 40,000 radio stations, from all over the world.
Rubbish....
Thrill is perfect radio? Yup. enjoy.. .

There is the rest of us who have built and rebuilt our Aether radios for fun and pleasure. Fading and static are part of listening experience of DX reception. Our claim to fame...
Quote:
Probably nobody here remembers WOR's CBS radio mystery theater, or Bob and Ray.

I do, it was a remake but thrilling none the less...

740 is coming in at 6:30pm, fading, but not the air waves. Time for a set of batteries.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next