Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 19, 2020 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just My Luck
PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 7:29 pm 

When I get the Laptop I've ordered, I'm going to take it to computer repair shop for an examination and an estimate. If it proves to be too expensive to repair, I'll remove it's memory devices and drive over it with my truck. If it's cost effective, I'll give them my audio output board and have the thing repaired to be my new music library to replace my good ol' Compaq N610C. I'm leaning toward it being a pie in the sky prognostication.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 30, 2019 1:12 am 

My new 2 me laptop arrived the day before thanksgiving and works well. The power supply from the bad laptop runs it just fine as well. It's in nice shape for a grade 2 refurb.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 4:35 am 

19&41 wrote:
I'm leaning toward it being a pie in the sky prognostication.
Or a cowpie on the side of the road? :lol:

Glad you found a solution. Could be worse. My Acer has a battery but there is no access to it short of dismantling, ie, umprteen screws and pop the keyboard up, I imagine? Knock on wood, this one has been good since 20015.

I use it on battery only for a few hours a week, elsewise it is on the charger 24/7. That works for me.
My Compaq still had a decent battery when I sold it after 8 years of faithful service, always plugged in.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 1:09 pm 

10.7Megahertz wrote:
Was it made in China? Welcome to my world.

Let's have a reality check here: Where was the object in question designed?
And--what price point was it designed for?

I'm not going to waste bandwidth listing all the things designed in the USA and manufactured elsewhere. The (obvious?) point is that quality and reliability start with the design. In this context, that includes the architecture, the choice of materials, and what is sometimes called the "manufacturing engineering"---which is the planning of how the thing will be built.

A knee-jerk reaction to "made in China" is often wrong, inappropriate, or both........

PS:
As part of my inventory of "information appliances", I have 2 relatively new Chromebooks---one Dell, and one HP. I also have a Lenovo "normal" laptop which is maybe 15 years old and has endured unspeakable abuse. Other than needing a new battery, it is still going strong.
And then there is the iPad mini which has been retired ONLY because Apple no longer supports it.
And the dark times of the "PowerMacs" that would crash every time you sneezed....

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2