Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Mon 30, 2020 4:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: So many radios!
PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 3:22 pm 

5 years ago I was bitten by the "old radio" bug and in that time I've seen a lot of radios. I've seen all the radios you folks post here on the forum. But last week my wife and I began watching a PBS series, "Poirot". The first 2 seasons take place in England in 1935 and 1936 and there are radios in almost every episode. My wife will see one and ask "What kind is that one?" So far I haven't recognized a single radio. It's downright depressing! If Europe imported millions of American radios you'd think one would show up every now and again but nope...and some of their radios are just plain beautiful. I've noticed, though, that their valves (tubes) are much better than ours because the instant they turn the switch, the radio plays. Weird, huh?
Doc

Post subject: Re: So many radios!
PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 3:27 pm 

Hello Doc,
thanks I will check out the show , I always look out for old radios and tv's in tv shows and movies .
Sincerely rich

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 4:37 pm 

doc612 wrote:
5 years ago I was bitten by the "old radio" bug and in that time I've seen a lot of radios. I've seen all the radios you folks post here on the forum. But last week my wife and I began watching a PBS series, "Poirot". The first 2 seasons take place in England in 1935 and 1936 and there are radios in almost every episode. My wife will see one and ask "What kind is that one?" So far I haven't recognized a single radio. It's downright depressing! If Europe imported millions of American radios you'd think one would show up every now and again but nope...and some of their radios are just plain beautiful. I've noticed, though, that their valves (tubes) are much better than ours because the instant they turn the switch, the radio plays. Weird, huh?
Doc
Ever heard of dubbing? 8)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 4:41 pm 

It's not that they had better valves, those must be battery powered sets as those tubes have a much shorter warm up time, making them basically instant on :)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 4:52 pm 

Better tubes? USA tubes are as good as British for long life. The only known better tubes are a some German made Telefunken. It was found out much later the Telefunken 12AX7 were still testing new after 50K hours use (few were ever documented for life). The oxide filament appears superior to other tubes.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 5:05 pm 

Guitar players say the British Mullards are the best.

Re: European radios, you may need to browse the British. German, Dutch and French radio forums. Also he takes trips to Italy.

This link will take you to a list of forums, it is there, but a long way down.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=201537

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 5:11 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Guitar players say the British Mullards are the best. https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 9&t=201537

Best for the sound, not necessary life span.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 10:09 pm 

In motion picture production, any audio "coming out of a radio" for the scene, is actually produced off stage, behind the camera, via audio tape playback.
Old American flicks showing a radio being turned on are always "instant on", as it would make the movie seem to drag if they had to wait for the customary tube warm up time.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 14, 2020 3:09 am 

fifties wrote:
In motion picture production, any audio "coming out of a radio" for the scene, is actually produced off stage, behind the camera, via audio tape playback.
Old American flicks showing a radio being turned on are always "instant on", as it would make the movie seem to drag if they had to wait for the customary tube warm up time.
\
True, although I caught a couple where they actually gave a short warm up time for the set to play. I like it when the actor turns the wrong knob for tuning or on/off. Also you can tell the "pilot lamp" is just a regular lamp bulb behind the dial. They're always much brighter.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 2:40 am 

Guys, my remark about the radios coming on instantly was tongue in cheek! Almost all the extraeneous sound effects in a movie are added- or dubbed- in later. It was supposed to be humorous.
Doc

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 2:49 am 

doc612 wrote:
I've noticed, though, that their valves (tubes) are much better than ours because the instant they turn the switch, the radio plays. Weird, huh?

Not weird at all. The audience doesn't want to wait the 10 or so seconds for an old tube radio to warm up and Hollywood knows that, therefor, all old tube radios are required to turn on instantly.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 3:42 am 

doc612 wrote:
If Europe imported millions of American radios …

The simple answer is "they didn't".

The reasons are many but, apart from a brief window of opportunity in the mid-late 1920's, US exports to the UK & Europe were just a small fraction of domestic production. Even after the war, domestic radio production was one of the first industries to bounce back - in 1946, production in the UK was almost equal to that of 1938-9; in the Netherlands it was about 80% of what it had been; in France, it was ~1/2. Even in Germany, where even the smallest producers who'd mostly made it through the war unscathed were flattened by the Allies in the last few months, while production was slower to restart it was pretty much back to pre-war levels by 1949-50.

edit: found this and this as illustrative examples. In 1939, total US radio exports was ~552,000 units. In 1938, Britain alone manufactured 1,400,000 units. IIRC, pre-WWII Britain was only the 4th-largest US export market for radios, behind Canada, Japan, and Australia (and Australia didn't take many at all, as by then the radio industry here was a highly-protected industry).

Last edited by Rod FeC on Jan Thu 16, 2020 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 3:43 am 

They should have a series string octal AA5 radio. Then the actors could stand around looking bored and scratching their heads for 30-45 seconds till it comes up.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 6:26 am 

Indiana Radios wrote:
doc612 wrote:
I've noticed, though, that their valves (tubes) are much better than ours because the instant they turn the switch, the radio plays. Weird, huh?

Not weird at all. The audience doesn't want to wait the 10 or so seconds for an old tube radio to warm up and Hollywood knows that, therefore, all old tube radios are required to turn on instantly.
Unfortunately true, but it always bugs me! You'd think that they could write useful dialogue to cover a normal warm-up time.
Cheers,
Roger
PS. Hollywood often screwed up time related stuff, e.g. cars and trains go around curves too fast, models don't keep to scale speeds, actors don't move steering wheels properly... model boats in old B&W movies were very badly used. Now, with CGI, they violate the laws of physics on the action stuff and nobody cares or even notices...