Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gateway Essential 700S With Windows XP Will Not Boot
PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 2:21 am 

install a generic 12v fan and run it on the 5 volt buss. i've done that a few times on MBs that did not require a sensor fan.

it needs a fan.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 8:13 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Can I ask a dumb question? Why put all this effort into an ancient PC that can probably barely even run a web browser? You can buy a totally stripped down PC these days for $300 that will do 100X's more than this thing will.

Don't worry, I was thinking the same thing myself :o

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 11:55 am 

jcjrf-2200 wrote:
bobwilson1977 wrote:
Can I ask a dumb question? Why put all this effort into an ancient PC that can probably barely even run a web browser? You can buy a totally stripped down PC these days for $300 that will do 100X's more than this thing will.

In my case, I recently built a computer with Windows XP specifically with SP2 to be able to transfer old family analog VHS and Hi8 with a specialized video card and software setup. ...

I realise this is not part of the solution to the initial problem. But since we seem to be heading in the right direction, may I say that I have a Nikon CoolScan V LS-50 ED that will not work with any version of Windows above XP. So, I have my Laptop from 2005 that I use for scanning my slides. Very time consuming but it works. So, I can certainly understand the reason for keeping XP.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 4:26 pm 

I decided to install the Windows XP Service Pack 3 into the Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer today along with an update, and everything went without a hitch. Actually, I can certainly go ahead and install other programs as well, but all of that will have to wait until tomorrow as I'll be out of town for the rest of the day.

Edit: I installed a few other programs before I had to leave town. I do have the Microsoft Office CD's to install also which came with the Dell XPS410 desktop, but I'll save those for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 02, 2020 10:37 pm 

Update: Chas's 'Care Package' arrived in the mail today, and it was filled with goodies. Now that I've installed the cooling fan for the cabinet, I'll proceed onto the Ethernet card.

Attachments:
Cooling Fan For Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer.jpg
Cooling Fan For Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer.jpg [ 625.72 KiB | Viewed 1930 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 02, 2020 11:23 pm 

Chas's 'Care Package' C.A.R.E.

Computer And Restorative Essentials...

:lol:

PostPosted: Jul Thu 02, 2020 11:24 pm 

Well I'm on line now with the Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer, and now I'll have to install the Avira antivirus program because I keep getting messages that my connection isn't secure. In that event, I'll proceed to install the Avira antivirus program.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 1:53 am 

Be aware many of the virus programs out there are very resource intensive. I went to help a friend with an older XP PC and it was VERY sluggish; this turned out to be a freeware virus program he had installed, which was doing some type of continuous security scan in the background. Newer more powerful PC's aren't slowed down as much.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 3:03 am 

Hmmm.......I tried to install the Avira anti-virus program directly into the Gateway computer earlier today, but without much success. Actually, my Dell XPS 8910 desktop computer will download Avira all right, but the Avira program will not allow me to transfer it to a flash drive. Perhaps I'll have to search for another free anti-virus program.

As seen in the photo, the Gateway keyboard was provided by Chas so that was very kind of him.

Attachments:
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer On Line.jpg
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer On Line.jpg [ 328.55 KiB | Viewed 1897 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 3:20 am 

Microsofts A/V program doesn't burden the system much; possibly there is an older version of their "Microsoft Essentials" available. Not sure if the newer virus definition files available work with the older 32 bit program though.

There's a GNU windows A/V program called "Clamwin" I've tried before on XP; it's a "run it when you want to" type deal, but is SLOW as I recall.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 3:33 am 

I didn't have much trouble loading the Avira anti-virus program into my Dell XPS 410 desktop with Windows XP, but that was about a year ago.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 3:06 pm 

i had a dell dimension 9100 that i used in the shop for the past 5 or so years.

it had XP on it. i installed chrome on it b/c it worked the best (which was not saying much) and over the past year, the 9100 from early Y2K became absolutely useless for the internet.

it was so slow, cantankerous, and i just rarely turned it on. it had become virtually useless.

i upgraded to a much newer Dell Inspiron 580 with a fresh copy of W7, 10 gigs of ram, and a 3.2 ghz processor.

i installed the W7 updates, turned on windows firewall and windows defender, installed chrome, but did NOT install any antivirus. i only use it for NOAA radar, arf, ebay, and radio schematics if i ever work on one again.

this computer absolutely flies and works like a champ. the HDD is ghosted so that if it were ever to get a virus, i can put a fresh copy of everything on it in about 2 hours. it is not a main computer and is only used sporadically anyway. i could not be more happy with it.

in my opinion, if you plan to use this gateway for the internet, it will be virtually worthless due to the fact that it is so outdated. adding an antivirus will make it even worse.

i just reformatted, fixed up, and replaced parts as necessary including capacitors in about 20 dell computers ranging from 2005 to 2018 XP, Vista, and W7 operating systems. i have them with only a fresh copy of the OS, the drivers, and NO updates. i will use them as music players if i ever need them for playing my extensive music collection. i have three in use right now between the house (24/7), the shop, and the office. these computers will NEVER be on the internet. they start up, shut down, and open the music player within seconds. they all have at least 4 gigs of ram too. the bottom line is that they will be stand-alone computer jukeboxes. they work perfectly for that application.

i did attempt to put the earlier XP and Vista computers on the internet just for the heck of it.

they were absolutely worthless and just could not handle it. they were mid to top line computers for their era.

i'm not saying all this to be a poop, but i just want to give you a heads up that you most likely are perhaps trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear if this computer is intended for use in today's world.

...not to say that it isn't a fun challenge to make it work, which you did.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 4:25 pm 

Yes, I'm sure that you're right about the Gateway computer's limited ability to surf the Internet, and evidence of that can be plainly seen in the enclosed photo at the time that I went onto the AOL news site. What's shown is a list of AOL news articles. However, it does have some functional capability of surfing the Web, but granted not a whole lot. The Dell XPS410 desktop computer with Windows XP that I also have does perform better on the Web, but it isn't something that I would preferably use in surfing the Net. In that respect, I would normally use my Dell XPS 8910 desktop computer with Windows 10 (like what I'm using now).

Perhaps I better forget trying to install an anti-virus program into the Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with loading the Avira anti-virus software. The best that I could achieve is seen in the enclosed photo.

I'll be out of town for the rest of the day so perhaps tomorrow I'll install the DVD-RW drive that Chas so generously included with the 'Care Package'.

Note: As soon as I got onto the AOL news site with the Gateway desktop computer, I was shown this message: "You have blocked notifications from AOL"

Attachments:
AOL With The Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer.jpg
AOL With The Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer.jpg [ 329.32 KiB | Viewed 1853 times ]
Avira Trouble Code.jpg
Avira Trouble Code.jpg [ 57.67 KiB | Viewed 1853 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jul Fri 03, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 03, 2020 4:40 pm 

By comparison, this is what's seen on the AOL news site using the Dell XPS 410 Desktop Computer which is actually 5 years newer than the Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer. As everyone is aware, both computers use Windows XP.

Attachments:
On AOL With The Dell XPS410 Desktop Computer.jpg
On AOL With The Dell XPS410 Desktop Computer.jpg [ 362.16 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sat 04, 2020 5:06 pm 

Well I had a confluence of events that took place this morning, and with precious little time to install the DVD burner that Chas gave me. I managed to find a few minutes to install the device, and it's working fine as can be seen in the photo (from a Time Tunnel episode).

Attachments:
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer (DVD Burner Installed).jpg
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer (DVD Burner Installed).jpg [ 400.5 KiB | Viewed 1815 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 4:51 pm 

As it stands, I'll consider this Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer as being complete and fully functional. As you can see from the photo, I'm currently making a backup copy of a DVD film just to see how it performs, and to make any adjustments as necessary. I sort of wish that the browser of the computer could be updated, but it is what it is. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Attachments:
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer (Making A Practice Backup Copy).jpg
Gateway Essential 700S Desktop Computer (Making A Practice Backup Copy).jpg [ 351.26 KiB | Viewed 1784 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 8:20 pm 

i do the same thing here. i have about 20 xp, vista, and W7 computers that will never see the internet. they have the OS and SP installed (no updates) and are ready to be my jukeboxes if my three in use ever die.

i fixed them up with anyhing from capacitors, to power supplies, video cards, drives, and all the like to make them work.

it is a lot of fun and i have learned a lot over what i already knew.

i have the opportunity to buy more, but with the spine tumor surgery coming up on the 23rd, i won't be able to lift anything more than a video card.

i'm working on a Dimension Dell XP OS B110 now and it is pissing me right off to no end.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 9:39 pm 

My parents owned a Dell Dimension E520 desktop computer, and the computer eventually developed problems in booting up. Actually, we could boot the computer up by going through a small ritual, but we ultimately decided to give it to a friend of the family. From what I could determine at the time, the problem lied in the mother board itself. The Dell Dimension E520 in my opinion was simply a cheap computer, and I suppose that you get what you pay for.

Anyways, I finally managed to make up a practice backup copy of a DVD with the Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer. In that regard, I purposely used a more troublesome DVD to make a backup copy of. Even though I had to go through an additional program to make that backup copy, I was nevertheless successful in making one with the Gateway computer. Actually, the Gateway computer even performed better than my Dell XPS410 desktop computer did in attempting to make a backup copy of that particular DVD.

Of course, in many situations, you would want to use a DVD-RW first before making any DVD backup copies.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 10:06 pm 

this dell b110 would hang at 0% the blue screen of formatting during the fresh XP installation.

i wasted over an hour of my life trying to figure it out with all sorts of cable replacements, dvd rom drive swapping, and other messing around.

it was the HDD.

we are now up to 91% formatted after 1 hour.

all is well.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 11:27 pm 

Quote:
we are now up to 91% formatted after 1 hour.
???

I just formatted a 1/2T SATA drive using gparted, to ext4 and labeled "Documents". An empty drive that is going into an aluminum container with a USB interface. Part of a new archive/backup system.

Oh, it took all of 15 seconds to do this...

I have two more same capacity to be labeled " and "Music" and "Pictures", to be put into aluminum cans as well.

All three drives will replace the 160gb PATA drives in aluminum cans.

I do not understand why it takes so long to format a drive using Windows?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm "glad" I don't care to save films/videos, though I do like my Pictures and Music...

I had a windows 95 box with 3 hard drives, it was a bear to move blocks of music around using the windows explorer to find space from drive to drive. Back then all I had was 20gb drives.

Chas

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 247 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next