Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Everything USPS/UPS/FedEx Topic
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 1:37 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
As far as the one that is on the vehicle, I'm about ready to fall up in the local terminal and show my rear end, and I'll let them know that I'm not leaving until my package is found.

Pack a lunch.

The trouble with Fedex is that most last-mile deliveries are carried out by independent contractors, not actual Fedex employees. I speak from authority, as my neighbor is a supervisor for one of those contractors - - who has 12 trucks/crews. Not a good system, since accountability just ain't there. Best of luck.

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 2:25 am 

About 30 years ago, a friend was laid off from his job and took a job with UPS. He said that at that time, you were not allowed to bring a truck back unless it was empty and it didn't matter how long it took. He said UPS was very serious about deliveries being on time and even today, my UPS deliveries have generally been on time. There's only been one lately that was a day late and an occasional late delivery is understandable; but, this constant crap of stuff being late with FedEx is inexcusable.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 11:05 pm 

Yet, another day goes by and no packages. I just left some commentary on their Facebook page that I can't repeat here and I let them know that the time for being nice is over.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 12:01 am 

FedEx at the south bend IN location seem to have there problems. About a month ago, I had a package from west coast stating in transit from Chicago to SB for about a week, maybe a 1hr drive. Now another pkg from west coast, came in fine and seems to be camping in the SB terminal. When you call them they say, they are having problems at that location. Must be having issues with several locations. FedEx maybe bit off more then it can chew?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 12:30 am 

ttx450cap wrote:
FedEx at the south bend IN location seem to have there problems. About a month ago, I had a package from west coast stating in transit from Chicago to SB for about a week, maybe a 1hr drive. Now another pkg from west coast, came in fine and seems to be camping in the SB terminal. When you call them they say, they are having problems at that location. Must be having issues with several locations. FedEx maybe bit off more then it can chew?

A sign of being overly greedy.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:03 pm 

USPS small parcel sits in Jacksonville, FL for a week. Are you kidding me?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:14 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
USPS small parcel sits in Jacksonville, FL for a week. Are you kidding me?

How about the parcel that sat in West Huntsville, AL of mine that sat for over 5 weeks!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:05 pm 

And, yet another day has gone by with no FedEx truck; but, the UPS truck got here right when they said it would. I'm getting closer to going to FedEx and showing my rear end, and another thing that ticks me off is they no longer have a local number. Used to, they had a local number and if you had a problem, you could call it and someone local would take care of you. Now, you have to dial the 1-800 number, push buttons and stay on hold for 30 minutes (or longer), and then end up talking to someone in India who can barely speak English. I knew a lady who worked the counter at FedEx; but, she retired a few months ago because she got tired of all the crap. Before she left, I was having a problem with them and I asked her if they had a local number. She said she was sorry; but, the home office would not let them give out that number. I can tell you this.....I'm not wasting my time with a 1-800 number. When I get fed up (and, I'm almost there), I'll go down there and give them an earful, and I'm not leaving until they hand over my property.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:47 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
And, yet another day has gone by with no FedEx truck; but, the UPS truck got here right when they said it would. I'm getting closer to going to FedEx and showing my rear end, and another thing that ticks me off is they no longer have a local number. Used to, they had a local number and if you had a problem, you could call it and someone local would take care of you. Now, you have to dial the 1-800 number, push buttons and stay on hold for 30 minutes (or longer), and then end up talking to someone in India who can barely speak English. I knew a lady who worked the counter at FedEx; but, she retired a few months ago because she got tired of all the crap. Before she left, I was having a problem with them and I asked her if they had a local number. She said she was sorry; but, the home office would not let them give out that number. I can tell you this.....I'm not wasting my time with a 1-800 number. When I get fed up (and, I'm almost there), I'll go down there and give them an earful, and I'm not leaving until they hand over my property.

Sounds like the same person I talked to.. Although, on my second call to them (first was for them to trace?) I requested a call back and they said they would. I could never get a local number out of them. I did not get a call back, but my package came a few days later. This was after the pkg sat in SB, IN for about a week. Right now I have another pkg sitting in SB - 2 days now.

Last edited by ttx450cap on Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:48 am 

radiotvnut wrote:

No, it is a sign of the complete impossibility of hiring enough employees.
Right now there is nothing that they can do to get more workers.
Yelling at them will do nothing.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:49 am 

Tom Schulz wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

No, it is a sign of the complete impossibility of hiring enough employees.
Right now there is nothing that they can do to get more workers.
Yelling at them will do nothing.

I think he was going to show them his rear end..

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:55 am 

Don Cavey wrote:
rocketeer wrote:
pixellany wrote:
in 1996, I delievered a widget to a project called "Mars 96"---the Russian equivalent of NASA (unmanned missions) was the system integrator. We had the opportunity to deal with both US and Russian customs officials.Guess which was more difficult.....

I ran a fulfillment center for abt 15 years for D&B. We shipped directories all over the world and the absolute two worst to deal with were Italy and Canada, hands down. If Canada was in a snit they'd park the container for 2, sometimes 3, weeks. Italy was worse. The stuff would just flat out disappear, never to be heard from again.

Larry

Kinda like my Vise-Grip pliers that passed through Las Vegas never to be seen again. Certainly not the seller's (eBay) fault. Two times, the USPS said that there was nothing that they could do!~

Well, well, well. Guess what finally showed up today? The Long Nose Vicegrip pliers that were shipped on June, 14. Almost three months. Wonder what happened? In any event, it was a surprise today!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 10:40 pm 

I have a USPS package coming from Boise ID that was scanned in at the Denver dist ctr on Sep 3rd and has not been heard from since. 7 days and not scanned anywhere, not even as departing Denver. :?

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:58 am 

We used to wait "6-8 weeks" and onky when it arrived would we know they got the order, and it was sent out.

Now we can track packages in real time, and even though most things come way faster than 6-8 weeks, there's reason to complain.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 2:03 am 

Those 6-8 weeks were the built in delay in initiating the shipping, not an excessive delay during the shipping.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:02 am 

mblack wrote:
We used to wait "6-8 weeks" and onky when it arrived would we know they got the order, and it was sent out.

Now we can track packages in real time, and even though most things come way faster than 6-8 weeks, there's reason to complain.
Right. It's not 1989 anymore.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:26 am 

Long before anything like Fedex or anything remotely like that existed... we had to wait many days for parts.
In 1972 I was here in NJ working for an L.A. company as a NJ based Computer field service tech, and my east coast customers were Bell Labs and IBM and others with important business... so if one of my systems went down needing a part from our LA home office... I'd call LA and someone would pack the part and drive it to the Airborne Airfreight office at LAX ... and they'd put it on the next flight out.
Typically the next day I'd be able to pick it up at Newark's Airborne Air Freight office and go directly to my customer for installation.

The luxury idea of Fedex didn't happen till about 1976 or so.
That began an appetite for "instant" overnight everything... even "same day" stuff.

Now nobody can seem to live without it.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:58 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Long before anything like Fedex or anything remotely like that existed...

Now nobody can seem to live without it.
Peter, for sure, I see what you are saying. My cousin is constantly trying to stick "Prime" up my nose (I cleaned that up!) and tell me how wonderful it is (without mentioning that he has to pay extra for it). He says that he ordered something yesterday and it came today.

There is very little that I order today and need tomorrow. You are right, many have become impatient. I don't get it, but then, I am retired. Heck, growing up, we ordered from Lafayette, Allied Radio, Olson or Burstein-Appleby by buying a money order (one day), fill out a paper order form (another day) mail it to the company (one week) and a week later, we got the stuff. That was about two weeks.

Are we spoiled? Some of us are! But my example of an item that passed through a post office and three months later, it shows up was the extreme. My Letter Carrier was really irritated when I told her that the PO had dismissed my request to find it two times. They told me there was nothing that they could do! She was really irritated and wanted the tracking number because she said that they should have called the PO in question. Well, it arrived so I am happy.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:19 pm 

Overnight delivery?
Humm... yes we are all very used to that kind of service or requirements now.
But how necessary is it really?

You may say, that it "saves time" ... yeah sure. But how about all the hundreds of things and devices that "save time" for us.
Things like home delivery... definitely fall in that category... okay... but what productive things do we do with that time we saved?
The TV remote control saves the time and energy to get up and turn the dial.. the garage door opener too, and battery operated clocks and watches save the time and energy it takes to wind them up.

But how do we actually measure the "saved time"... do we collect it somewhere?
Unlike money... ( we can count the physical dollars we save) ... but where do we store all the time we "saved" ?

I never say to myself: Gee now that I have saved up ALL that time by using my "time-saving" devices... I think today, I will spend that "saved up time" and use it to cut the lawn, or take hike, or a vacation. lol

Nope... I never actually get to "feel" that I have a whole pile of saved time! So where did it go?

Last edited by Pbpix on Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:21 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Overnight delivery?...
But how necessary is it really?

Exactly

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 424 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next