Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 18, 2022 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bought an antique chaise lounge
PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 12:59 pm 

Got this off of kijiji.ca. Seller was asking $400 (CDN), and I offered $300, and they accepted it.

The lounge has a lot of support, as the stuff underneath the fabric is quite hard. Finally, a piece of furniture with a little SUPPORT in it, unlike this crap they make these days that feels like you're sitting suspended in a bunch of fluff.

Last night I slept on it, and I think I'll be sleeping on this a lot, so I made a beanbag pillow for it too, lol. The pillow is made to use as little space as possible so that my feet don't hang off the lounge when I'm laying down. Thank goodness I'm short! :P

What do you guys think something like this would be worth?

Attachments:
IMG_20210514_182742.jpg
IMG_20210514_182742.jpg [ 879.31 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
IMG_20210514_182806.jpg
IMG_20210514_182806.jpg [ 962.48 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
IMG_20210514_182757.jpg
IMG_20210514_182757.jpg [ 894.33 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
IMG_20210514_182814.jpg
IMG_20210514_182814.jpg [ 843.42 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
File comment: A beanbag pillow that I quickly made with 5kg of red lentils inside. Will be eventually getting fabric to match the lounge.
IMG_20210515_074156.jpg
IMG_20210515_074156.jpg [ 763.79 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bought an antique chaise lounge
PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 1:15 pm 

Nice ! :wink:

Though I believe it is called a Settee.
After a brief perusal of EBay, my guestimate is $500 - $700.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Likely horse hair and cotton batting. Very common in older upholstery.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 1:38 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:

Thank you! Then you have to consider shipping, too!

Quote:
Likely horse hair and cotton batting. Very common in older upholstery.

Whatever it is, I love it. This thing is so sturdy.

Okay, I was just looking online and found that this is a French style Louis XVI chaise lounge. This is the closest I've found to resembling mine:

https://frenchaccentgallery.patternbyet ... ted-chaise

This one is valued at $3500 CDN.

Attachments:
il_fullxfull.1458860338_cwhk.jpg
il_fullxfull.1458860338_cwhk.jpg [ 584.24 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 1:56 pm 

bedtime wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:

Thank you! Then you have to consider shipping, too!

Quote:
Likely horse hair and cotton batting. Very common in
older upholstery.

Whatever it is, I love it. This thing is so sturdy...
Okay, I was just looking online and found that this is a French
style Louis XVI chaise lounge. This is the closest I've found to
resembling mine:

https://frenchaccentgallery.patternbyet ... ted-chaise.
This one is valued at $3500 CDN.

Wow. 8)
Welllll....shows ya what I know! :oops:

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 3:53 pm 

Weren't these sometimes called a "daybed" or "fainting couch"? That's what my Great Aunt Hannah called hers.

Dave

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 4:34 pm 

I've heard them called that, too. But let's not start on sofa vs. davenport vs. couch. :)

Nice piece. As Alan said it'll be stuffed with horsehair. It's been reupholstered, but hard to tell how recently from the photo. Check the underside and try to make a good evaluation of the the webbing. We bought a living room set in perfect condition, couch plus four chairs for $1200 a few years ago in Pennsylvania. Well, it didn't stay perfect. The couch bottomed out. I wound up ditching the horsehair and springs for a quality piece of firm foam and poly batting, held in place with a 3/4" shaped & stained piece of birch ply. If I hadn't been so lazy and had been more proactive the job would've been a lot easier.

Modern Victorian furniture is being made. A friend bought her bed in this style. Drop-dead gorgeous, but $$$$.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 4:37 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Settee, Davenport, Daybed .....

Regardless, if someone wants to use the French name, it is NOT a chaise lounge ..... it is a chaise longue (long chair).

cheers

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Welllll....shows ya what I know!

Well, I don't know much either about this stuff. Still learning. :P

Tim Mullen wrote:
I've heard them called that, too. But let's not start on sofa vs. davenport vs. couch. :)

Nice piece. As Alan said it'll be stuffed with horsehair. It's been reupholstered, but hard to tell how recently from the photo. Check the underside and try to make a good evaluation of the the webbing. We bought a living room set in perfect condition, couch plus four chairs for $1200 a few years ago in Pennsylvania. Well, it didn't stay perfect. The couch bottomed out. I wound up ditching the horsehair and springs for a quality piece of firm foam and poly batting, held in place with a 3/4" shaped & stained piece of birch ply. If I hadn't been so lazy and had been more proactive the job would've been a lot easier.

Modern Victorian furniture is being made. A friend bought her bed in this style. Drop-dead gorgeous, but $$$$.

I wonder the age of this thing. Any ideas? Ballpark? I posted some pics below.

This is going to be awesome for parties (unless someone ends up throwing up on it...) A great conversation piece, to be sure. :)

Oh, and I hear from that other site that this piece was hand-made. Lets say it was, they couldn't have hand-carved that, could they? Think of the labor and cost.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/602150503/french-style-louis-xvi-tufted-chaise?frs=1

Quote:
Settee, Davenport, Daybed .....

Regardless, if someone wants to use the French name, it is NOT a chaise lounge ..... it is a chaise longue (long chair).

cheers

Here I am sitting on a pile of gold, and I don't even know what it is! :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: Sorry, crappy pic, but it appears to be either new or near perfect shape. The nails are perfect.
IMG_20210515_115828.jpg
IMG_20210515_115828.jpg [ 770.16 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
File comment: Another pic. There are several dings in the spots that would be typically dinged during moving it, but this piece shows very little or no true wear from use.
IMG_20210515_115904.jpg
IMG_20210515_115904.jpg [ 612.13 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 5:20 pm 

In modern French the term chaise longue can refer to any long reclining chair such as a deckchair. A literal translation in English is "long chair". In the United States the term lounge chair is also used to refer to any long reclining chair.

French for “long chair,” chances are good you've mispronounced the word “chaise longue” at least once in your life (“Shez Long” is the correct way to pronounce it, by the way). And though the accurate spelling is “chaise longue,” it's more commonly spelled “chaise lounge.”

Maybe you need to get out more. lol
Greg.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 8:18 pm 

egg wrote:
And though the accurate spelling is “chaise longue,” it's more commonly spelled “chaise lounge.”

Only by people with zero curiosity who never stop to wonder where the name came from. There was a world before the US existed and the French were only one of many more sophisticated societies.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 11:31 pm 

bedtime wrote:
Oh, and I hear from that other site that this piece was hand-made. Lets say it was, they couldn't have hand-carved that, could they? Think of the labor and cost.

[Caveat: I am not a furniture expert!]

Not handmade. This stuff is not uncommon in the northeast US, and due to the unwashed masses having poor taste, isn't in style and thus those of us with superior fashion sense :lol: have our pick -- my Gothic friends go bananas over it.

Date-wise I've always guess turn-of-the-(last)-century. As you say, the scrim underneath looks fairly new, which means the reupholstery was done recently. A good thing. If you get bored peel back enough of the fabric to take a peek at the webbing and make sure it's not frayed.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 11:33 pm 

egg wrote:
In modern French the term chaise longue can refer to any long reclining chair such as a deckchair. A literal translation in English is "long chair".

An ex lived on Lange Niezel in Amsterdam, which I always thought meant long nose. :)

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 11:49 pm 

egg wrote:
In modern French the term chaise longue can refer to any long reclining chair such as a deckchair. A literal translation in English is "long chair". In the United States the term lounge chair is also used to refer to any long reclining chair.

French for “long chair,” chances are good you've mispronounced the word “chaise longue” at least once in your life (“Shez Long” is the correct way to pronounce it, by the way). And though the accurate spelling is “chaise longue,” it's more commonly spelled “chaise lounge.”

Maybe you need to get out more. lol
Greg.

So much I need to learn! :shock:

Quote:
[Caveat: I am not a furniture expert!]

Not handmade. This stuff is not uncommon in the northeast US, and due to the unwashed masses having poor taste, isn't in style and thus those of us with superior fashion sense :lol: have our pick -- my Gothic friends go bananas over it.

Date-wise I've always guess turn-of-the-(last)-century. As you say, the scrim underneath looks fairly new, which means the reupholstery was done recently. A good thing. If you get bored peel back enough of the fabric to take a peek at the webbing and make sure it's not frayed

Would be cool if it was handmade, but that's okay... I'm not curious enough to peel back the bottom yet, but eventually I will be.

Found a cool video that introduces the layman, like me, to King Louis XIV, XV, and XVI type furniture. Quite interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5WaJ2oVQiw

Next purchase might be a canopy bed. Not sure how many canopy beds are made for double mattresses,but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 1:31 am 

Half-testers are sexy. This is similar to what my friend bought, but hers is darker.

https://www.fabulousandbaroque.com/prod ... 7705499717

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 3:59 am 

bedtime wrote:
I wonder the age of this thing. Any ideas? Ballpark? I posted some pics below.

The only way to date something like this for certain is to look at it with the upholstery off. That said, it looks to be machine made, which would put it in the 20th Century. I'm thinking it's 1930s or 40s. The French-inspired furniture designs went through a brief revival in this era.

Original pieces from the 18th and early 19th Centuries were hand-carved. Those took a long time to make and no two are exactly the same. Machine-assisted carving started appearing in the 1840s and by the end of the 19th Century, virtually everything was machine made.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 1:19 pm 

Tim Mullen wrote:
Half-testers are sexy. This is similar to what my friend bought, but hers is darker.

https://www.fabulousandbaroque.com/prod ... 7705499717

That looks awesome, but I don't like the ideas of only covering half the bed with a drop. Why not just do the full thing?

Quote:
The only way to date something like this for certain is to look at it with the upholstery off. That said, it looks to be machine made, which would put it in the 20th Century. I'm thinking it's 1930s or 40s. The French-inspired furniture designs went through a brief revival in this era.

Original pieces from the 18th and early 19th Centuries were hand-carved. Those took a long time to make and no two are exactly the same. Machine-assisted carving started appearing in the 1840s and by the end of the 19th Century, virtually everything was machine made.

Thank you so much for this. I now have a much better idea of wood-working for antiques. Have to say, the engraving is just a little too perfect to be done by hand. Possible, but not probable.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 1:45 pm 

bedtime wrote:
That looks awesome, but I don't like the ideas of only covering half the bed with a drop. Why not just do the full thing?

You're supposed to run your netting or drape (summer / winter) from the half top to the footboard, giving you room above your head where you need it and not wasting it above your feet where the room is not needed.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 1:54 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
bedtime wrote:

You're supposed to run your netting or drape (summer / winter) from the half top to the footboard, giving you room above your head where you need it and not wasting it above your feet where the room is not needed.

Ah, makes sense.