Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 11:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 7:28 am 

hello everyone,
If you are using a windows base machine you need to watch this.
Microsoft has drawn an arbitrary line and declared that PCs and laptops with processors from only a few years ago (even 2018) won't work with Windows 11. This is crazy and Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

Windows 11 won't support Intel Core chips like the i3, i5, i7, etc that are older than the 8th generation or AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 processors before the 3xxx series. The Ryzen 3 3xxx only came out in 2019!

Sincerely Richard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrH4zEBmztc

Post subject: Re: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 8:05 am 

That's perfectly fine by me. I don't want to use it anyhow. Plus, it'll give us Linux users a bunch of opportunities to pick up some really nice hardware for dirt cheap. :D

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 8:11 am 

Hello beat truck,
I bet this will not go down with out a fight .

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 8:30 am 

I suppose M$ might back down if people raise enough hell. If not, someone will probably figure out a workaround. Just like the folks that have written programs and scripts that remove or disable a lot of the telemetry and bloatware BS that 10 came with.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 9:56 am 

Microcrap will do whatever it wants to until people stop buying their bloated, buggy garbage. Don't hold your breath.

RRM

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 11:57 am 

If they were smart, they'd just stick with Win10 and make it work better. XP was pretty good, and an indicator that the company is capable of producing a great OS.

But then, it looks like they have already made their decision, doesn't it.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 12:37 pm 

Makes one wonder if they are some kind of 'agreement' <wink wink> with the hardware manufacturers.... eh? Obsolete millions of computers, and create a windfall for anyone making hardware. Yea yea, a conspiracy theory . Or is it ? :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 1:13 pm 

Since I have no intention of ever "upgrading" to Win 10, Win 11 is a non-issue. The minimum hardware requirements are absurd, to say the least.

Larry

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 1:44 pm 

I ran a test and 3 of our 4 Windows 10 computers are fully compatible with Win 11, but I don't plan to jump on that bandwagon until it's necessary.

My biggest complaint about Windows is extra software "mysteriously" getting installed. Just this morning I answered a call on my cell phone, and I happened to notice a window had opened up on my laptop showing the caller's phone number and how many minutes I was connected. Not knowing what that was about, I closed the window, and the call on my cell phone actually disconnected!

Afterwards I did some checking and found a Windows app called "Your Phone" got installed June 23rd along with some other updates. All without my knowledge. To make matters worse, Windows won't let me de-install it. That box is grayed out. Well, it may take hours, but I will find a way to get rid of it!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 3:12 pm 

Teddy Roosevelt would have added a logical conclusion to that narrative, or more commonly referred to as trustbusting.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 3:21 pm 

Me and my MacBook Pro don't care. Of course, Apple is its own version of corporate obnoxiousness -- and as far as I'm concerned MS and Apple are nothing more than two sides of the same coin.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 3:21 pm 

this is the "requirement" not the rule. I am running win 10 on machines that it "would not" run on, with no issues.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 3:38 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
this is the "requirement" not the rule. I am running win 10 on machines that it "would not" run on, with no issues.
Ditto.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Microsoft has drawn an arbitrary line and declared that PCs and laptops with processors from only a few years ago
Someone will patch this... maybe...

FWIW, Linux users must keep an eye on their favorite flavor as well. Support of 32 bit systems is falling away. Major players like Ubuntu and some of their lesser forks are already shelving 32 bit. It is not just the O.S., the external writers and up-graders for popular software are no longer writing upgrades and patches for some 32 bit apps.

Ultimately, that means falling back to a Linux flavor that is still offering some support and applications still maintaining 32 bit.

That does not mean the old systems will die, means recent bells and whistles for 32 are all there is it can't improve.

As for Windows, yes, as a Linux user I often encounter hardware driver issues that the manufacturer will not provide code support for the hardware to any other O.S.

Still, the Linux community, has web sites that maintain lists of compatible hardware that is Linux friendly... That is how I found a compatible scanner, Bluetooth adapters, web cam, printer. Linux can make most junk work but not all junk... chas

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 4:39 pm 

There seems to be some confusion about CPU support for Windows 11. I think people are looking at the CPU lists here and misinterpreting what it means:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... quirements

It's true that the oldest Intel CPU listed for Windows 11 is the 8th generation Core, but it also says this:

"The processors listed in the tables below, represent the latest processor generations and models which are supported for the listed Windows Edition."

Meaning that the list is of the newest CPUs that are supported, not the oldest. Based on the way people are reading that page, Windows 10 won't run on anything older than a 5th generation Core chip. The 5th generation CPUs were new when Windows 10 was released. I know for a fact that 10 will run on a Core 2 Duo, and even some Pentium 4s (although it's slow).

The big problem for 11 is that it requires UEFI secure boot, and TPM 2.0 which a lot of relatively new systems don't have. There may be a workaround for those.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 4:54 pm 

W11 will require a Microsoft account and I won't have one so unless that changes I'll stick with W10...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/2254 ... ion-set-up

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 5:37 pm 

From what I understand, doing some reading I have done, the reasons for these extreme steps is the additional security built into the newer cpu's allows upgraded security to be included in the software.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 5:44 pm 

IMO, Windows XP pro was a very good OS. However, Vista OS changed everything and hastened my desire to move over to Mac OS.

I've been with Apple since that disaster called Vista.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 5:55 pm 

My Dell desktop is only a year and a half old, but I might buy a new desktop anyways---this Dell has been junk from day 1

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 6:08 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
My Dell desktop is only a year and a half old, but I might buy a new desktop anyways---this Dell has been junk from day 1

Wasn't there a warranty with the new Dell desktop? What issues does it have?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 292 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next