Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 10:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Or just wait until the OS EOLs the hard drive like it just did on my Windows 10 computer.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds to me like the OS is being blamed?

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 12:50 pm 

I've never heard of SW EOL.....not for OSes or applications. I do remember that I had to do a clean install of Windows maybe once per year---in order to keep a machine functional.

Yes, hard drives can fail---that's why people make backups.

In general, I think Linux will eventually be a solution for a lot of what is being discussed here.....Once it became established, the community has pretty much stayed caught up........

Back to the evils of monopolies discussed earlier......MS is simply trying to hang on to its market. I'll not be helping them..........

MAny of us hope to see the day when one goes to the computer store, selects their HW, and then selects the OS to be installed---kinda like picking a car, then the drivetrain details (Not holding my breath for this one........

PostPosted: Jul Fri 30, 2021 7:36 pm 

Well I installed Windows 11 Beta on this PC yesterday and there were no problems at all. I assembled the PC in the Fall of 2019 using an AMD Ryzen 3600 processor. Before installing Windows 11, I enabled TPM Version 2 and secure boot in the bios. It appears to be Windows 10 with a new look. There are additional security items and the start menu is updated. I had no problem finding settings, etc. My wife just told me that her Words With Friends hangs up. Got to look in to that.

Just checked and sure enough Words With Friends hangs but only when using Firefox. Edge browser works so no biggie. It is a Firefox problem probably caused by a recent update.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 02, 2021 8:05 pm 

A possibly useful tool to determine if your computer will work with Windows 11:

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

It says my Dell Inspiron All In One 2020 fails a couple of requirements; CPU Compatibility, DirectX +WDDM2, and TPM version.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 12:47 am 

pixellany wrote:
I do remember that I had to do a clean install of Windows maybe once per year---in order to keep a machine functional.
That was then, this is now - I've had two Windows 10 laptops, one I gave to my son to fix the keyboard, and this one, and both have not needed a reload in almost 7 years of almost daily starts and stops. I'm not defending the mega companies but think there is no problem with Win 10.
Vista was also good, my older PC still runs like a top and has backup files in it. Never had to reload it either.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 12:59 am 

I only did one or two full reloads per machine when I used Vista and 7, but it seemed like I had to do it frequently when I ran XP.

I've been daily driving Linux for at least 4 years now. I do have an install of 10 on a backup drive that came in my laptop, but I've only used it a handful of times. When I bought my refurbished desktop, I actually wiped 10 and installed Linux the first time I booted it up. :) I have no intentions of trying 11. It probably won't run on any of my hardware anyhow.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 3:50 am 

That's OK. I jumped out the Windows six years ago and landed in Linux. I might consider going back.
When pigs fly.

This post submitted with Linux Mint Mate 19.3 Desktop

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 6:29 am 

beat_truck wrote:
pixellany wrote:
tubes4life wrote:
Finding files was awful too. There was no "My Pictures" or "My Music"---instead, you had to dig around in Mint's generic file explorer, of which there were many sub-directories. It was maddening.

Much has changed since that time frame. To locate files, I installed an app called "Catfish File Search"
It has found every file I've searched for, and quickly.

How To: Create a new Folder, aka Directory in Linux Mint Mate 19.3
1). left-click Caja File Manager icon in Panel (Tray in Windows)
File Manager opens, default location (Folder) is “Home”
2). Left-click “File” in the Menu Bar
Options are displayed in drop-down menu, including “Create Folder”
3). Left-click “Create Folder”
A new folder, titled “Untitled Folder” appears in directory tree, highlighted.
4). Right-click over “Untitled Folder” in directory tree.
Menu appears displaying options, including “Rename”.
5). Left-click on “Rename”.
6). Press Spacebar. “Untitled Folder” is now blank.
6). Type desired folder name in blank space.
7). Press Enter.
You have created a new Folder, aka Directory.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 11:45 pm 

I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my main computer recently because for some strange reason, it reached the point where Microsoft Edge would not update. After the clean install, Edge is fine.

After changing some settings in my Windows 10 Preview, which I run in a VM (Oracle VirtualBox) along with many other OSes, I was able to successfully upgrade the Windows 10 Preview VM to Windows 11 Preview even though, technically, I shouldn't be able to do this (my main computer is a 7th generation Core i7, which does not meet Microsoft's requirements for Windows 11).

The Windows 10 Preview VM was always wonky and crashed often. So far, Windows 11 Preview is running smoothly with no crashes. And I'm on the Dev Channel, which is less stable than the Beta Channel.

Only my laptop will eventually get the final edition of Windows 11 as it is the only machine I own which is new enough to meet the requirements. I've made the decision to convert my others to Linux Mint eventually.

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 1:24 am 

For anyone who's interested (That wouldn't be me. 8) ), Windows 11 will be officially released on Oct 5th.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... october-5/

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:11 pm 

Hello master_of_none
Po,
thanks fore the link and as for windows 11 I don't care about it either !
Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 10:27 pm 

Latest news on the Windows 11 front:

M$ causes the OS to break itself due to them injecting ads into the task bar, and they are causing some people's machines that are ALREADY USING 11 to quit working because they aren't using "officially supported" hardware. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kcgIff1Ho
And, this guy is usually pretty open minded and defends Windows, even when they don't necessarily deserve it.

It's like M$ is trying to drive people away from using their crappy OS. I am sooo glad I run Linux. 8)

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 2:19 am 

Hello Master,
you said it why throw away perfectly good computers because MS wants you buy new stuff .

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 8:59 am 

I wonder if the future thread about windows 12 will be this long... Linux has long been my OS of choice for squeezing more useful life out of older computers, and I tend to favor duel booting it with the previous OS when the patches run out (its what I do with my 12 year old vista era laptop). Windows never has been resource friendly compared to other operating systems, so the fact that Windows 11 won't be natively supported on marginally dated machines is of no surprise. The same thing happened to dos/win3.1 when win9x came out, as with win9x when winXP came out, as with winXP when vista came out... Annoying, but nothing new.

This is why desktops are not obsolete, you can upgrade them by fitting a new motherboard-processor without throwing the entire setup in the trash (unless it is a $500 proprietary big box store job). Most laptops are designed to be throwaway units after 3-5 years, and we all know how short lived cell phones and tablets are in today's society, which is why this new requirement only annoys those of us who don't buy into planned obsolescence.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 6:22 am 

I watched some of the above linked video and it seems to me that the idea of placing advertisements in the task bar is an ingenious way of making people hate your product. I, for one, am surprised that OS developers didn't come up with it earlier, though, as it appears to be a trend.

Imagine an ad appearing on your cell phone screen every time you switch it on.... Or an advertisement appears on your laptop screen right after you log on to your computer. I fear that those days are approaching. It's the monetizing of everything.

Already, I encounter websites where I have to click several times just to get to a news or music item I want to reach -- the extra clicks count in the web and advertising world as "engagement", so a website wants you to click 10 times to read an article when in 2005 you would have only clicked once.

FB, Apple, and other companies also monitor your internet use and mine it all for data.

MS already placed a news and advertisement feed on the task bar a few months ago. I had to turn mine off, because it was causing my hard drive to be accessed 100% way too much.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 6:50 am 
Site Admin

[quote=https://antiqueradios.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=3430983#"B Shanks"]... you can upgrade them by fitting a new motherboard-processor ...[/quote]
So just put another computer inside the case. :D

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 7:28 am 

Renton481 wrote:
I watched some of the above linked video and it seems to me that the idea of placing advertisements in the task bar is an ingenious way of making people hate your product. I, for one, am surprised that OS developers didn't come up with it earlier, though, as it appears to be a trend.

Imagine an ad appearing on your cell phone screen every time you switch it on.... Or an advertisement appears on your laptop screen right after you log on to your computer. I fear that those days are approaching. It's the monetizing of everything.

Already, I encounter websites where I have to click several times just to get to a news or music item I want to reach -- the extra clicks count in the web and advertising world as "engagement", so a website wants you to click 10 times to read an article when in 2005 you would have only clicked once.

FB, Apple, and other companies also monitor your internet use and mine it all for data.

MS already placed a news and advertisement feed on the task bar a few months ago. I had to turn mine off, because it was causing my hard drive to be accessed 100% way too much.

I won't put up with that crap. It's part of the reason I don't use M$ products.

As mentioned, I use Linux, and so far, shoving ads in your face isn't a trend there. The free and open source community won't put up with it if they tried. The Ubuntu developers briefly added an Amazon link / advertisement in the OS, and people were not happy about it, so it got dropped. As for websites, they can get their "engagement" from my ad and tracker blockers. :lol:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 4:17 pm 

Quote: "So just put another computer inside the case." Basically since you can't just upgrade the chip, you have to replace the motherboard and the processor at the same time. You do get to reuse the rest of the setup, although I see your point in that these components are essentially the computer's brain and nervous system. I guess it depends on what kind of desktop you have, as a new high end processor and motherboard combo would only cost 1/3 of the total cost to replace my entire setup. Since my setup exceeds the requirements for running 11, I will probably just switch it to Linux when windows 12 comes around.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:18 am 

Microsoft has now changed their processor requirements for Windows 11 to include a very few 7th gen Intel Core processors.

That big desktop I built for myself less than three years ago has a Core i7-7700K processor.

The 7th gen Intel Core i7 processors now supported for Windows 11 include...

i7-7800X, i7-7820HQ, i7-7820X.

No i7-7700K.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

I know we have four years to make a decision...but I've already started taking action. The computer I use at my workbench now runs Linux Mint 20.2. It's a Core i5-4460S (4th gen), a 27 inch Dell XPS all-in-one with a touchscreen. Debbie bought it a few years ago and I ended up with it after she switched to a laptop. Likewise, the tiny Optiplex in our living room (6th gen i5), which we use for streaming YouTube on our TV as well as watching some videos I have stored on it, is now running Linux Mint 20.2.

I have two very old laptops which were given to me 4-5 years ago. One is being used to play music to my FM transmitter; the other is set to play music to my AM transmitter (SSTRAN) if I decide to put the SSTRAN back online. The FM computer is still Windows because I tried three Linux distros on it and none of them would open the 2000 song easy listening playlist I have. The computer set aside for the AM transmitter has a 200 or so song Doo Wop playlist, and it plays fine on Zorin (another Linux distro). So, Zorin is installed on that laptop.

In the past week I've tried Zorin, Garuda XFCE, and Linux Mint. I have all three plus Ubuntu, Debian, and other distros available to me as VMs on my main computer - the one which is less than three years old and is about to be "obsolete" as far as Windows 11 is concerned. Garuda XFCE is very lightweight and would be a good replacement for Windows on older computers. Zorin pretty much falls into the same category. However, I have found that Linux Mint is probably the most mature of the three distros. Mint will do UEFI and Secure Boot; Garuda needs legacy boot. I originally installed Garuda in our living room Optiplex but soon found that it did not recognize its HDMI audio output which I need. Linux Mint picked up the HDMI audio output without a problem.

Quote:
... you can upgrade them by fitting a new motherboard-processor ...

I will likely do that to my main computer...begrudgingly. :roll: :x But not right away - I will wait a while.

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

Last edited by Ron Ramirez on Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:35 am 

So only the expensive 7th gen processors are supported... Seems inappropriate to do this during a massive chip shortage, but then that's Microsoft for you. Might as well wait the 4 years until the current supply issues are ironed out.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 287 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next