Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 15, 2021 10:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 2:26 am 

tubes4life wrote:
With Windows, you don't have to create any directories, they're already there. Linux is not intuitive at all

Crying because you had to create a couple directories to put your files in is some serious nitpicking, and it's not even an issue anymore. :roll:

BTW, the Windows file system structure wouldn't be any more intuitive if you had never used it before or come from a different OS. :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 2:37 am 

beat_truck wrote:
fifties wrote:
beat_truck wrote:
Many users, like me, just wanted an alternative to Micro$oft's nagging, spying, control freak crap.

Now I'll be damned; I never even knew that, and I've been on PC's using different versions of Windows for 23 years.

Learn something new from you youngsters everyday.

Yes indeedy, every day...

Well, I guess you must have missed Winblows 10's forced updates (some of which break things or change your settings without asking), restarts / waiting to shut your machine down, popup / nag windows for various things, idiotic warnings about software that you shouldn't / can't install, bloatware / adware, etc, etc.

I guess I'm just not as observant as you are. I haven't had any problems with WIN 10 on any of my two desktops, laptop, or tablet. Ergo, no complaints.

beat_truck wrote:
And you definitely haven't read the user agreement then. I read it several years ago, and it came right out and told you that M$ collects your data and does whatever they see fit with it, including deleting it from your machine or taking it to the authorities.

Tell ya a funny story; I was in the process of renting a house to a new tenant some years ago, and had met him at the premises with a lease agreement and keys, in exchange for his rent and security check.
I gave him the lease to read and sign. He simply went to the second page, dated and signed it. I asked, "don't you want to even read it first?" He said something to the effect that it didn't matter. If he didn't sign it, he wouldn't get the house.

Same here. If I don't agree to their terms, I don't get the OS. And what do I care if they get my data? Don't make no never minds to me.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:04 am 

fifties wrote:
I haven't had any problems with WIN 10 on any of my two desktops, laptop, or tablet. Ergo, no complaints.

Yep pretty much the same here.

I had a few sound cards that Windows 10 wouldn't support and neither would Linux and $10.00 per sound card on Ebay solved that problem.

Have had a lot of problems with Nvidia graphics cards and Nvidia proprietary graphics card drivers with Linux.

Ain't never had no problems with Windows 10 or Linux when using desktops with all Intel Inside.
fifties wrote:
Tell ya a funny story; I was in the process of renting a house to a new tenant some years ago, and had met him at the premises with a lease agreement and keys, in exchange for his rent and security check.
I gave him the lease to read and sign. He simply went to the second page, dated and signed it. I asked, "don't you want to even read it first?" He said something to the effect that it didn't matter. If he didn't sign it, he wouldn't get the house.

Yep.
fifties wrote:
Same here. If I don't agree to their terms, I don't get the OS. And what do I care if they get my data? Don't make no never minds to me.

Yep that's the way it works.

Everybody's collecting user data so what difference does it make if Microsoft collects my user data I'm not doing nothing illegal and I ain't got nothing to hide so big deal I don't care.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:10 am 

fifties wrote:

I do care about who pilfers my data and where it goes. If you don't, that's on you.

Anyhow, I don't agree to their terms or want their crummy OS, so it's no loss to me either way. :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:14 am 

poorguy wrote:
Everybody's collecting user data so what difference does it make if Microsoft collects my user data I'm not doing nothing illegal and I ain't got nothing to hide so big deal I don't care.

I don't have much of anything to hide either, but it's still nobody else's damn business what I have on my machine, what I use it for, what sites I visit, etc.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 4:40 am 

beat_truck wrote:
poorguy wrote:

I don't have much of anything to hide either, but it's still nobody else's damn business what I have on my machine, what I use it for, what sites I visit, etc.

I think you're missing something, little buddy. If one is on the internet, whatever he displays knowingly or unknowingly becomes public property. That's "just the nature of the beast".

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 4:52 am 

fifties wrote:
beat_truck wrote:
poorguy wrote:

I think you're missing something, little buddy. If one is on the internet, whatever he displays knowingly or unknowingly becomes public property. That's "just the nature of the beast".

I'm not missing a damn thing. :roll:

Just because some information gets sent out to certain places, doesn't mean that it has to be an absolute free-for-all.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 4:58 am 

beat_truck wrote:
fifties wrote:
beat_truck wrote:

I'm not missing a damn thing. :roll:

Just because some information gets sent out to certain places, doesn't mean that it has to be an absolute free-for-all.

Well not to be argumentative, but in the larger picture, even though one may be successful in cloaking some of their information, enough slips out via other openings that the hidden data is really infinitesimal. Every time you use a search engine, that quest gets recorded, and eventually sold.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 5:05 am 

fifties wrote:

Every time you use a search engine, that quest gets recorded, and eventually sold.

Duckduckgo, and a few other privacy respecting search engines claim to not do that. Google and others like Bing, Yahoo, etc sure do, though. That's why I will only use Google as an absolute last resort.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:33 pm 

Probably every app you use, including apps on your phone, collects data, 'calls home' and delivers it, so they can make use of it. The reasons are probably benign enough: to fix any glitches in the app's operations, or to sell you stuff. But it bothers some people.

I recently saw a YT vid where there was discussion over how smart phone data is used to sell you stuff. I.e., your phone convos are monitored for key words, and voila! There's an ad for a related product on your favorite social media site.

Many of the comments below the vid had people mentioning how even when the phone was 'off', and they were talking about a particular product, related ads would show up during their next internet surfing. If there's any truth to these stories, data is being sold, traded, shared, etc. at a large pace.

I personally haven't experienced any of this. As far as Win10 goes, I could do without the updates slowing my computer to Windows 3.1 levels. Hit the delay/pause button, and things turn back to normal. At least they have that. :-)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:04 pm 

Not that I use my phone much, but I've de-Googled it and locked it down as much as possible. I've deleted all the stock apps that it will allow me to, and replaced them with open source ones from Fdroid that don't track you or show ads. I also installed an app from Fdroid that gives full control over what is tracked on the installed apps.

I would like to get a Linux phone, but they don't quite have them quite debugged and ready for the general public yet. :(

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:33 pm 

beat_truck wrote:
Not that I use my phone much, but I've de-Googled it and locked it down as much as possible. I've deleted all the stock apps that it will allow me to, and replaced them with open source ones from Fdroid that don't track you or show ads. I also installed an app from Fdroid that gives full control over what is tracked on the installed apps.

I would like to get a Linux phone, but they don't quite have them quite debugged and ready for the general public yet. :(

Android and Google Chrome** are both Linux-based.... One of Google's smartest moves in the early years was figuring out how to make the Open-Source SW movement profitable. For a peek into their strategy, do a search on "Google summer of code"

**Same as Chromium????

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 9:47 pm 

pixellany wrote:
beat_truck wrote:

Android and Google Chrome** are both Linux-based.... One of Google's smartest moves in the early years was figuring out how to make the Open-Source SW movement profitable. For a peek into their strategy, do a search on "Google summer of code"

**Same as Chromium????

I know they are. They have Google's data collection BS baked in, though. I don't want that. :wink: I agree that it was a smart on their part, though.

I use Firefox because I like it and a lot of the extensions I use aren't available for other browsers. If I was going to use a Chromium based browser, it would be Ungoogled Chromium or Brave. Brave comes de-Googled and has ad and tracker blockers built in. I actually have it on my phone right now.

Some Android phones can have the stock OS wiped and a custom ROM installed, but I don't think my LG Net10 (Tracfone) can. For as little as I use it, it doesn't really make that much difference anyhow.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 12:45 am 

tubes4life wrote:
Linux guys and MS guys fall into two groups---those that like to tinker and those that don't. Linux guys like computing and programming in general, and enjoy using Terminal to write programs and execute commands. The average MS user couldn't care less about computers or software, they just want to be able to use it out of the box. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Hmmm, I wonder where I fit in? I've been using Linux for the last 6 years or so and I don't like programming and have severe difficulty whenever I have to use the terminal. Did you know that there is also a terminal in Windows? There is; except microsoft chose to call it the command prompt. Anyways, I digress. I just want something that works! I have an HP xw-8600 workstation that I purchased new eons ago and it is my every day driver. Recently upgraded to the latest Linux Mint (20.2), (take that Microsoft, Mint has got you by 9 versions) :D . It recognized my HP 2311x monitor and installed what was needed to run it, same goes for my LaserJet Pro 400 printer. When I plug in my Iphone 7 into it the icon pops up and I can transfer my pictures like I used to do on my XP machine. In fact the cinnamon desktop was so much like XP that it was very easy to get up and running. Even my Epson plug & play scanner was recognized when I plugged it in. Now giving full disclosure: If I do happen to run into a problem I go to the internet and do some research where I can usually find a solution. It will take a little commitment to learn things like the file system and so on but I don't know of too many people who did not have to take the time to learn Windows. For me, Linux mint does everything that I need it to except for doing my tax return and that is the only reason that I own a windows machine. Of course everyone is different and what works well for me might not work well for you and that my friends is why we have this thing called choice. If you don't like it then don't use it. Find something that suits you better. I find that my time is better spent learning something new than complaining about something that will not likely change anytime soon, but again, this is just my perspective on the matter.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 12:52 am 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
Tell me about it. When I was in school, The computers they had were chomebooks.

When I was in school our " computer" was a teletype machine that was hooked up via a modem to the local collage running a PDP-8. We stored our programs on paper punch tape. A few of us in the "computer" club collaborated on writing a program that made little banners from those paper tapes. We thought we were the schizit.

Oh, for the simple days of youth..........

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 1:49 am 

scott.hettel wrote:
Mr. Highlander wrote:
Tell me about it. When I was in school, The computers they had were chomebooks.

When I was in school our " computer" was a teletype machine that was hooked up via a modem to the local collage running a PDP-8. We stored our programs on paper punch tape. A few of us in the "computer" club collaborated on writing a program that made little banners from those paper tapes. We thought we were the schizit.

Oh, for the simple days of youth..........

How about programming in Fortran for an IBM 360----waiting overnight to see if your program worked........I can still hear the rhythm of the key-punch machine

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 9:48 pm 

Specs that MS published today don't look too difficult unless you are running with a really old piece.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 10:17 pm 

A three year old computer (Core i7, 7th generation) is not a really old piece.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Specs have not changed. MS is still stating an 8th gen Core i3/15/17 or newer processor is required to run Windows 11. 7th gen and earlier? Too bad, so sad. Go buy a new computer. :roll:

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Or you could just keep using Windows 10 for the next few years until your current computer needs to be replaced and upgrade when you get new hardware. 10 is not obsolete now and will continue for a few years still. Unless you absolutely need some feature that 11 has, there is no need to switch now.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 12:35 am 

Exactly Alan, that's what most people probably do.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 287 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next