Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 3:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 12:48 am 

If anything, 10 being out of mainstream support might be a good thing. I expect there will be fewer (if any) of those annoying "feature updates" that currently happen twice a year.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 12:52 am 

Or just wait until the OS EOLs the hard drive like it just did on my Windows 10 computer. Time to scrap the important stuff from the computer, and take it to the shooting range...Video to come. I promise.

The hard drive failed on the computer a year ago. So I sent it to be changed. Now it broke a couple of days ago. I used it like a 100 year old. Very gentle with it. And it fails. I call BS. At least I can revert back to my practically bullet proof Windows 7 computer.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:02 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Or you could just keep using Windows 10 for the next few years...

Exactly correct. We have four years to make up our minds.

As I believe I mentioned previously, I only have one computer - a laptop purchased two years ago - which will qualify to upgrade to Windows 11 (9th gen Core i7). As for our others...I don't yet know what I will do about my desktop (tower) PC which has the 7th gen Core i7 and which I built not quite three years ago, but our others will be converted to Linux Mint. I've already converted one very old laptop, which had been given to me a few years ago and which I am using as a music server in conjunction with my SStran, to Linux Mint and it is going to do just fine.

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:06 am 

When Windows 10 was released the Windows 10 checker said a lot of computers and hardware didn't meet the Windows 10 requirements however Windows 10 installed on them and runs fine.

I would wait until Windows 11 becomes a final release before I'd make any decisions as a lot of things may / will change between now and when Windows 11 becomes a final release.

Until you actually have tried to install Windows 11 than you don't really know if the computer you have will run Windows 11.

Only my opinion.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:12 am 

Point taken, poorguy. But I will frankly be quite surprised if MS lowers its processor requirements to 7th or even 6th gen Core processors.

Mr. Highlander wrote:
Or just wait until the OS EOLs the hard drive like it just did on my Windows 10 computer.

I seriously doubt the OS did anything to your hard drive. I've never had a serious issue with Windows 10. In addition, I have Oracle VirtualBox on my home office tower PC, which has VMs of older versions of Windows including 7, XP, 2000 and even NT 4. None of those VMs have ever crashed or done anything odd.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:22 am 

I could very well be. However, when it did die, the computer was running really slow (Nothing new there). So I turned it off, and turned it back on. I got a screen that said something about restoring the hard drive. I left it on for a couple of hours. Nothing, but the same screen. A day. Still nothing. At that point, it was the EOL for the computer.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:32 am 

New computer or used? New hard drive or used? HDD or SSD?

I only use SSDs in my computers, and only once has one given me any trouble. Surprisingly, it was a Samsung. And Samsung SSDs are supposed to be the best on the market. Hogwash. I found the WD Black NVMe M.2 SSD to be much better than the equivalent Samsung.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 1:55 am 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
I could very well be. However, when it did die, the computer was running really slow (Nothing new there). So I turned it off, and turned it back on. I got a screen that said something about restoring the hard drive. I left it on for a couple of hours. Nothing, but the same screen. A day. Still nothing. At that point, it was the EOL for the computer.

OSs become corrupt.

Hard drives / SSDs just fail.

It's happened to me more than once.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 2:06 am 

RAM fails when you least expect it, too. I've had it happen more than once.

Knock on wood, I've been lucky and haven't had a HDD or SSD fail yet. Even a HDD that was in a laptop that I had taken apart, found to be beyond repair, and smashed on the floor still worked when I plugged it in and tried it. :shock: I didn't dare use it for anything once I got the files I wanted off from it, though.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 2:21 am 

HD fail often. I've recovered destroyed data from a hard drive. I also rebuilt, opened up, changed the circuit board and flashed eprom to repair a HD. been lucky, its best to have backups.

the only none user problems I had/have with puters is lightening or HD failure.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 2:44 am 

beat_truck wrote:
RAM fails when you least expect it, too. I've had it happen more than once.

I've never had any Ram fail although I have burned up a few sticks of Ram by over volting it in my days of overclocking processors.

Tuition for the price of an education. :lol:

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 2:54 am 

I thought that was done on blood donations and experimental drug testing?

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 4:53 am 

It was an HDD. Yeah, OSes do fail, and so hard drives. But it is sad, because I can drive off with my 12 year old windows 7 laptop on my car, and it still works AOK. And to testify, here it is. Not to say it isn't going to fail at any moment, but, can't PC and OS manufacturers pull it together and make products better?

Attachments:
Windows 7.PNG
Windows 7.PNG [ 901.33 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 5:12 am 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
.....can't PC and OS manufacturers pull it together and make products better?

Some are good, some are junk. It's always been that way. Just like cars, appliances, stereos and TVs, etc.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 5:28 am 
Site Admin

Mr. Highlander wrote:
The hard drive failed on the computer a year ago. So I sent it to be changed. Now it broke a couple of days ago. I used it like a 100 year old. Very gentle with it. And it fails.

Mr. Highlander wrote:
It was an HDD. Yeah, OSes do fail, and so hard drives.

HDDs are mechanical and more prone to failure than SSDs, which are also pretty cheap. Maybe you should switch to one of those since you like to fling your computer off of car roofs?

I understand a HD failing, but how does an OS fail? If it has been running fine and then stops, it is probably an issue with the associated hardware and not something in the code that broke.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 5:54 am 

I don't know. When Windows 10 first came out, I got one of my Windows 7 computers (same model as this one, a Latitude E6400) switched over to see what it was like. It was slow, and glitchy. Pretty soon, it became unusable. My Mom's Samsung Laptop is slower than molasses, and it was a really expensive model 5 years ago. My dad's PC (Not a tower, but one of those monitor combo units) is slow to start, but runs well one it warms up. But he is smart, and has a back up hard drive connected. It just seems like everything Windows 10 touches, freezes up, including my brother's Laptops. They have had to replace their hard drives. My tech savvy brother got a SSD. Says it works good, but still slow.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

P.S. I don't enjoy driving off with laptops on my car. I like it, when I do something otherwise ridiculous and stupid (not on purpose) to a piece of old technology, and it survives, and proving my point of this new technology is junk.

P.P.S. This laptop was given by my Aunt for free. Sure some old things are cheaply made, and they usually don't last that long i.e. Yugos.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 6:18 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
I understand a HD failing, but how does an OS fail? If it has been running fine and then stops, it is probably an issue with the associated hardware and not something in the code that broke.

You're joking, right?

Windows is just good at breaking itself. Always has been. Especially early on, BSODs were super common, and they still happen. It doesn't necessarily need to have a hardware issue to trigger a failure.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 6:31 am 

beat_truck wrote:
Alan Voorhees wrote:

You're joking, right?

Windows is just good at breaking itself. Always has been. Especially early on, BSODs were super common, and they still happen. It doesn't necessarily need to have a hardware issue to trigger a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZQGRATlwA

Bill Gates got the blue screen of death while demoing his OS.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 8:29 am 
Site Admin

I was specifically referring the claim that a computer running Windows could suddenly stop working because the software was at the EOL--End of Life.

Hardware, whether it be a drive, printer, RAM, or whatever can fail and no longer be usable. However the OS may fail because of a software fault, but simply rebooting or, in an extreme case, reinstalling a fresh copy, will allow recovery and the OS will carry on.

With any hardware/software configuration, the software isnt going to get too old to keep running. Get sn old DOS or CP/M system and the OS will still work.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 9:07 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
I was specifically referring the claim that a computer running Windows could suddenly stop working because the software was at the EOL--End of Life.

Unless I missed it, nobody actually made that claim.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 292 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next