Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 2:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Probably WON'T Be Able to Use Windows 11
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:53 am 

Agreed.

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 11:23 pm 

KW4H wrote:
Me and my MacBook Pro don't care. Of course, Apple is its own version of corporate obnoxiousness -- and as far as I'm concerned MS and Apple are nothing more than two sides of the same coin.

But they have both demo'ed how to mke money with 'closed systems---be it closed HW, OR closed SW.

Make no mistake, these are not cutting-edge technology companies, and make their money mainly through marketing, strategic partnerships,etc. (At one time, Apple ....and Adobe... owned the desktop publishing market....Iwonder what stops the Linux / Open Source axis from stepping in here?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 12:30 am 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/w ... d=msedgntp

I found this article on Windows 11 quite interesting, especially since the author is running the very same processor which I have in the big tower computer I built for myself two years and not quite 11 months ago - a 7th generation Intel Core i7-7700K.

Based upon this article, it looks like I will be able to run 11 on my less than three year old machine after all, but I may have to sign a waiver with Microsoft before they will allow me to do the upgrade.

After a few years I can then upgrade to a newer processor and motherboard. I like that idea better than being forced to do so right away.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 1:17 am 

Hello Ron,
Quote:
Microsoft before they will allow me to do the upgrade

I won't say thing here .
My Machine At work is a 3 year old dell windows pro Icore7 8th gen with 16 gigs ram but heard from the IT guy in December we are getting all new computers .
My home computer just turned 3 years old this month and it also is running the 8th gen too .
Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 3:53 am 

Richard, if you have 8th gen Core processors, you should be good to go and have no problem doing the 10 to 11 upgrade.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:11 am 

Hello Ron,
Yes, I know but I will wait it does not excite me .

Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:24 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Ron,
Yes, I know but I will wait it does not excite me .

Sincerely Richard

And that's just it. 11 doesn't offer any huge improvements over 10, so why do it until you have to?

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:55 pm 

Me and my eight year old + Toshiba laptop are humming along just fine running Win 7. No pesky updates. No special hardware updates, no viruses, and a built in dvd/CD
burner. So much for "progress"!

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 8:56 pm 

decotronix wrote:
Me and my eight year old + Toshiba laptop are humming along just fine running Win 7. No pesky updates. No special hardware updates, no viruses, and a built in dvd/CD
burner. So much for "progress"!

If Linux hadn't been a good option and the one I chose, that's exactly what I would be doing too.

The doomsday crowd say "OMG, you can't run an unsupported OS that doesn't receive updates!" Pfft. :roll: Yes, viruses and crap do happen, but I never did updates, ran 7 for years, and had zero problems. If I did, I would have just wiped the disc and did a reinstall.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Or maybe you will be able to use 11 anyway:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... uirements/

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 2:41 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Or maybe you will be able to use 11 anyway:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... uirements/

From the article.
Anyone who decides to use this bypass should be aware that this is an unsupported method to install Windows 11 and could lead to performance issues or other bugs when using the operating system. Furthermore, Microsoft may not provide security updates to unsupported devices, so your installation will likely be less secure.

Therefore, you should only use this method in test environments and not on production devices.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:15 pm 

I've been running Windows 11 in an Oracle VirtualBox VM, but Microsoft recently made changes to enforce TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot even in VMs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... albox-vms/

I have Dev Build 22454 and, sure enough, it was refusing to update to Dev Build 22463 because of this.

I ran the Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd script, and now it is upgrading.

A tip: Run the script, then do not reboot - immediately run Windows Update after running the script, and it will allow the upgrade to continue. It won't work if you reboot between running the script and running Windows Update to install the latest dev build.

I don't know if anyone else here is running 11 Preview in Oracle VirtualBox. But in case anyone is, I thought I would mention it.

H/T to Alan for the link to the script.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 6:51 pm 

One of my friends works at a famous hardware/software company as a senior engineer who is probably more informed than most people in the industry. According to him Windows is hot garbage. Tear into its back end and how its coded its pretty sloppy with layers and layers loosely cobbled together. The last few times I have used a windows machine wound up being an aggravating experience.

Another thing is about to happen that is going to dramatically change how PCs work. Most processors in your typical generic PS uses processors using the old X86 architecture. There is a limit with what you can do with that. That's why Apple, Google, and probably eventually everyone else will be heading towards ARM architecture. Its a far more efficient design. It was first used in mobile phones due to its power consumption reduction. But its also more flexible and faster at point to point operations. I am about to order a new Google Pixel 6 phone that will have Google's own ARM chip called "Tenser".

Computing is about to get a whole hell of a lot faster.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:21 pm 

I've been at my desktop PC's for 23 years now, and have had little problem with Windows, ESP over the last numerous years. It works just fine on MSG boards and streaming movies, so what I need a faster PC for?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 10:34 pm 

I have to have a fast computer due to my line of work. I have a loaded to the gills MacBook pro. But it has audio, video, and graphic editing and creative software, all of which requires gigs of space, gigs of ram, and tons of storage. Sure. Some people who do nuttin' but use their PCs for surfing the internet could probably use their beat to death Windows XP machines. Then again we bought a laptop for my MIL last year that was actually pretty decent. Very basic, but it was $350. A lot faster than some ancient machine, prone to bugs and viruses.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 4:15 am 

Just because a machine is old doesn't mean it is prone to viruses. As long as it's running an OS that is still patched, it's more or less a non-issue. Even if it isn't, in my experience, it's still not much of one. I really never worried about them.

As for needing a powerful machine, my main machine is ~6 years old with an i5 quad core, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD. It boots to the login screen in Linux in less than 10 seconds, and does everything pretty much instantly. My internet speed it the real bottleneck. Encoding video is the only thing that takes some time to do, and I don't do it that often. Photo and audio editing are no problem. As for storage, I tossed in a 500GB HDD that I had sitting around, and I have a couple external 1TB and 4TB HDDs.

Some of the specs on the new machines I've looked at are pretty underwhelming. Especially the lower end ones. A lot of them only come with only 4GB of RAM. What turds they must be trying to run Winblows 10. My Dell Latitude from ~2013 has better specs than some of the new lower end laptops. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2021 10:17 pm 

Today is the big day - the official release date of Windows 11.

I downloaded the Windows 11 media creation tool, made a USB boot drive from it, and proceeded to upgrade my HP Omen 17t laptop from 10 to 11. It has a 9th generation quad-core Core i7-9750H processor, and is the only computer I own which meets Microsoft's system requirements for Windows 11.

The upgrade went smoothly with no issues.

I am probably the only person in the world who liked the Windows 8/8.1 Start screen tiles, and I had 10 set up that way. The Start screen is gone now. I will get used to a Start menu again. Otherwise, the laptop mostly looks as it did before and performs about the same.

I am not upgrading this tower I built less than three years ago yet. It does not meet Microsoft's requirements (it is running a 7th generation Core i7-7700K), but that is not what is stopping me. A new incompatibility between Windows 11 and Oracle VirtualBox is the reason why I am not attempting to upgrade this machine. Since my tower has VirtualBox installed, I will hold off on trying to upgrade it until the VirtualBox issue is resolved.

The other computers here, with the exception of Debbie's, are now running Linux Mint and are quite happy.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 1:52 pm 

pixellany wrote:
glasdave wrote:
I
Keep in mind that MS/DOS was patterned after the dominant OS of the time---UNIX. The only issue was that MS got all the slashes backwards.....;)

The history of PC/MS-DOS is a bit more complex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

Originally it was a clone of CP/M with a pair of notable improvements as noted on the Wikipedia page. Any resemblance to Unix directory structure was superficial and that is where any similarity ended. That said, there is a bug that allows the use of slashes in path names in certain contexts.

As for backslashes, it is still maddening to hear some radio commercial give a URL as "domain'BACKSLASH'word". :roll:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 4:08 am 

Hello Ron,
Nice to hear you had no issues and I also worry about some my software too .
for now I am sticking with windows 10

Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 11:36 am 

I've been reading all the posting here with mixed emotions. I'm one of those wild and crazy guys that wants to USE the computer, not be used by it. I've written to some of the players over the years, particularly AutoDesk. By use, I mean use, not spend half my life re-learning things I already knew. Menus move, buttons move for no reason. "Upgrades" make things "Better" by requiring one to erase years or decades of muscle memory, and really for no reason. It would be, in most cases, quite simple to go ahead and make your software upgrades, but also allow seasoned users to keep their front end interface if they choose to do so.

But no, that isn't gonna happen, is it. So I do not upgrade unless I have absolutely no choice. I was perfectly happy with Windows XP pro :)

Yes, I understand that to most of the marketers of software (and hardware) there's a built in need to keep "improving" things so people will have to scrap what they just bought and get the next shiny bauble .... unfortunately Apple seems to be learning this from Microsoft. I switched to MAC a few years ago to avoid this crap, and now they are doing it as well <sigh>

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 292 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next