Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Renovated Radios Ending Operations
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 6:39 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
A good business for Barry Bennett to take over, as soon as he's done sorting out his inventory . . . :lol:

Dan

Oh Dan, Dan, Dan.... You better duck because I hear a harpoon heading your way possibly from Sunbury, Ohio! :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:04 pm 

I would buy the business but the weather in florida is too humid and a do not have a climate controlled space.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:13 pm 

cwysong wrote:
Ed, thank you for all that you have done for the radio hobby. I know that I have been a very happy customer for several years, and I'll miss not having your products around when I need them.

I wish you the very best.

For this and all the posts preceding.....+1000!!!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:51 pm 

So sorry to hear this. Ed, thanks for providing an invaluable resource to the antique radio hobby! Several of my restorations would have been impossible if it weren't for your reproduction knobs and chassis mounts. Thank you for all the hard work and time you dedicated to this hobby, and your services will sincerely be missed.

Thanks,
Sam

-Unknown

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 9:24 pm 

I want to thank everyone here who thanked me. I guess I should say, "Your welcome".

I've enjoyed experimenting and problem solving in making all the different radio parts over the years. I still enjoy it. But, as I said before, I can't do this forever.

I've had several inquiries about the business, so it looks like there might be a continuation of the enterprise, either by one person or various persons. If you are one of the ones who expressed an interest, be patient. I'll get back to you about it. I'm just real busy now that people are stocking up on parts like I recommended.

Here's what I envision happening. I keep making parts to keep up stock and fill all orders until November 1. By then, most people will have stocked up on what they will need in the near future. Then, someone takes over and starts making parts while I'm selling off the last of my inventory. I can let them know what parts are in most demand so they can focus on those. So, I'll still be selling off the very slow moving parts while the new owners are ramping up making the most common parts.

I'm optimistic that there will be a supply of radio parts well into the future.

Ed

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 9:30 pm 

Great plan and I hope the new provider(s) will update this SOON :D

Dale

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 4:45 pm 

blacksmith wrote:
I want to thank everyone here who thanked me. I guess I should say, "Your welcome".

I've enjoyed experimenting and problem solving in making all the different radio parts over the years. I still enjoy it. But, as I said before, I can't do this forever.

I've had several inquiries about the business, so it looks like there might be a continuation of the enterprise, either by one person or various persons. If you are one of the ones who expressed an interest, be patient. I'll get back to you about it. I'm just real busy now that people are stocking up on parts like I recommended.

Here's what I envision happening. I keep making parts to keep up stock and fill all orders until November 1. By then, most people will have stocked up on what they will need in the near future. Then, someone takes over and starts making parts while I'm selling off the last of my inventory. I can let them know what parts are in most demand so they can focus on those. So, I'll still be selling off the very slow moving parts while the new owners are ramping up making the most common parts.

Ed

Yes, I'm going to miss you too - you have my order :lol:

I think this is so important to the community that it be moved to "Parts" so that nobody misses it!

Now how do I get this noticed? I know! COVID, COVID, COVID Covid for breakfast, covid for lunch :lol: :oops: - - - - that should do it.

Moderator, you can delete this message if needed. Please move to parts for the community's sake - I still remember the loss of GCHQ. It would be nice if everyone can plan ahead.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 6:48 pm 

blacksmith wrote:

Ed

Thanks for all that you have done Ed and thanks for these reassuring words. I was afraid your parts would be lost forever. It would really be a significant loss to our hobby.

Just because it's a bad idea, doesnt mean it won't be a good time!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:15 pm 

Ed, I totally understand! Thank you for all that you have done for the radio hobby. I have been a very happy customer, and want to thank your for your dedication to excellent product that you have made for us to use.

I wish you the very best.

Jay at "Radio Fixer"

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:01 am 

I placed an order for the knobs I needed but never got around to ordering right after the announcement. I should have included a note to Ed, but I figured he was probably overwhelmed with orders and didn't want to take up more of his time. But in case you're still reading this, Ed, Thank You!

BTW, the order was filled the next day and arrived in no time at all. Great service!

Dale

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:53 pm 

Of course, Murphy is active everywhere, so come November 2, how many of us will discover that we need something we don't have?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 10:08 pm 

It’s a shame to hear this cuz there’s a few sets I’ve got that need some knobs, and who knows what else, I can’t remember if I ordered something from you in the past or not yet, but I knew browsing through your catalog of stuff that you had some really nice quality reproductions of many old knobs and hard to find parts.

But you gotta retire some day, extra money is nice and all but when you get an overwhelming number of orders I’m sure it sometimes feels like you never get a moment to rest or do other things you might like.

I hope whoever does buy the molds of yours carries on with making and selling reproduction parts for old radios. It’ll be a shame if they just went to waste.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 8:12 pm 

Hello Guys,
yes this will make guys like me getting some parts tuff like grommets and some knobs Grommets is number one item when restoring sets that i use and with over 200 radios and then my customers sets too .
Sincerely Rich
P.S. this is sad news and at a point i may just give up on this stuff

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 2:18 pm 

Hopefully someone or several do carry on with the business.

If more than one does it maybe it could be split into two with one doing grommets and one doing knobs and whatever else could be divided between the two or more.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 4:12 pm 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Guys,
yes this will make guys like me getting some parts tuff like grommets and some knobs Grommets is number one item when restoring sets that i use and with over 200 radios and then my customers sets too .
Sincerely Rich
P.S. this is sad news and at a point i may just give up on this stuff

It would be a shame if I can't sell the business, because someone could actually make a living doing this.
If I don't get a buyer, I'll for be sure to make these parts still available. I just borrowed my grandson's gopro and am going to make videos of how to make some of the parts. This is for any prospective buyer since if they are out-of-state, I wouldn't be able to show them and explaining over email or the phone would be a pain.

If all else fails, and I don't get a buyer for the whole business, I could sell the individual molds along with the masters to make a new mold when it wears out, and include a video showing how. I'm sure there are those who would like to make specific grommets or knobs, as a hobby that pays for itself.

So, don't sell off your radio collection, or do anything drastic. There's still hope.

Ed

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 7:27 am 

Hello Ed,
for me getting knobs is just going to be tough to come by also where live there is no radio meets or clubs .
I am the only one in my area doing radios

Hope you find a buyer
Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:57 am 

Thank You Ed for all your service to us radio addicts. You will definitely be missed and I hope someone buys your business and continues with this great service.
Oh by the way I just sent in an order. Thanks again.

Dick

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 8:51 pm 

Sigh.......end of an era :cry:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 7:19 pm 

Quote:
come November 2, how many of us will discover that we need something we don't have?
673,+/-20%

PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2021 6:45 pm 

I bought just a few things from him...knobs and escutcheon for my Philco 41-280, and was very pleased with the quality. I may have bought a few other items from him, but my forgetter is working hard.
RW

"Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #3

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 44 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next