Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any calculator collectors out there?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 5:18 pm 

MarkPalmer wrote:
Excellent work 787Geoff. I use my HP 85 calculator/computer with HPIB interface and companion 9121D disc drive to control and data log from several of my 1980's era pieces of test equipment- all just in the name of fun more than any necessity ;) I have a HP 1000/2113B 16 bit 8 unit serial timeshare minicomputer also, running RTE-6VM when it reluctantly wants to.

Attachment:
IMG_1669.jpeg

-Mark-

Thats really cool! Sometimes you just have to use the old stuff no matter what to keep them alive! I always try to find a purpose and use for any of my old things!

Todd

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 7:24 pm 

787Geoff wrote:
Ha, great, just restored one replacing two led blocks. Replaced caps in power supply as well as lubricating all printer parts. Ribbons are available, just installed one.

Nice work! Where'd you get the LED blocks? It reminds me I have an old Radio Shack calculator with a bad segment in one of the LED displays.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 8:14 pm 

I have a Litronix calculator from the 70s that has some bad segments in the LED display. , I would sure love to replace those. The segments are tiny, sharp, and bright, and look like they're in a little glass bubble

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 9:06 pm 

I got my bubble LED display from Poly-Paks, then realized it wasn't useful for non-mutiplexed use.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:11 am 

mblack wrote:
I got my bubble LED display from Poly-Paks, then realized it wasn't useful for non-mutiplexed use.
Thanks. I took a closer look at the RS calculator. It uses a single 8 digit multiplexed display, so probably not worth the trouble to replace for the single bad segment.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:45 am 

tym wrote:
787Geoff wrote:
Ha, great, just restored one replacing two led blocks. Replaced caps in power supply as well as lubricating all printer parts. Ribbons are available, just installed one.

Nice work! Where'd you get the LED blocks? It reminds me I have an old Radio Shack calculator with a bad segment in one of the LED displays.

Keep an eye out on ebay. A few types of HP calculator displays: for calculators some have blocks of 3 while some 4. Decimal place on some take a whole display as in the desktop 45 while others the decimal is in the bottom right corner of a display:

8 . 8888 versus 8.8888

Bowmar was firstly an LED producer which branched into calculators, similar to TI.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 5:57 pm 

Hello,

I just got a TI-5025 yesterday. It does not turn on, looks to be missing the charger. But there are male connectors where the charger was supposed to hook up to on the side, so I was wondering if I could hook up a battery to them.

does anyone know the voltage this model needed and which prong is positive and negative?

Thanks

Henry

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:44 pm 

Yes, but make sure you identify the positive and negative posts!!!

Check out this URL:

http://www.datamath.org/Desktop/ti-5025.htm

Cheers, Geoff

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:06 am 

Thank you, Geoff

From the link you posted, it looks like this one takes 12.5 volts. Any idea on how to know which post is positive and negative without taking it apart?

At a swap meet, I found a bag full of calculators. Some TIs, a Rockwell, and a little apf.

I really like the late 70s US-made TIs, I guess I am a collector now!

Henry

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 69 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4