Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: USA trivia - Juneau Alaska
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 5:41 am 

odd ball TRIVIA
Did you know that Juneau, Alaska has no roads going to or leaving it?

"Juneau is unique among the 49 U.S. capitals on mainland North America in that there are no roads connecting the city to the rest of the state nor North America."

You can only get to it by air or ferry. It is located at the foot of a mountain so steep that no roads can lead out of Juneau to the rest of the state. So you can drive around the city but you can only get into it or out of it by ferry boat... or airplane.

Post subject: Re: USA trivia - Juneau Alaska
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 8:20 pm 

There actually are roads into and out of town...one of them is even called a "highway." But, you never leave the island.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 11:47 pm 

If Juneau was in Europe, it would have a road to it. Haines and Skagway, smaller towns, do,
so it can't be blamed on snow.

Its just that nobody wants to pay for it. The road actually goes a goodly fraction of
the way to Skagway, or with a tunnel, to Haines.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 12:02 am 

Skagway was one of the main routes to the Yukon goldrush, but you had to get through Soapy Smith and his gang. Of course, it being US territory, some thought the Klondike was in the US.

They found gold in 1896, so it took a year befote many people made it up there. In 1998, theystarted building the White Pass and Yukon railway to get from Skagway to the gold rush.

And within a few years, the goldrush was over, the action moving to Nome.

If you were in Dawson city, you had to watch out for Swiftwater Bill Gates, who sadly despite the name and Seattle birthplace, is not related to Microsoft's Bill Gates.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 5:14 pm 

It's the terrain, largely, plus not much actual need of a road connection to the rest of the continental US & Canada. Extremely mountainous, steep slopes straight down to the water in places. Actual glaciers in others. Sitka is in the same situation, as is Ketchikan, Cordova, and several other smaller cities in SE AK.

The Alaska Marine Highway system apparently gets the job done adequately, besides. And airports. It looks like even Cordova has a large, well-maintained irport.

Looking over it with a satellite map SE AK looks like a lot of forested desolation, compared to most places in the lower 48.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 6:41 pm 

I knew someone who lived there. The weather eventually drove him nuts ( it rains some 250 days a year ) and he had to move back to California.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 4:18 am 

I met a girl in college who had lived for about a year in Juneau as a little girl. Her father had been transferred there by the company he worked for. Her mother had a calendar on the wall, on which she marked the number of days she actually saw the sun.

It was something like 2 days or an equally low number of days in the entire year. Every other day was full overcast, or rain. The mother threatened divorce if they didn't move back south, which they apparently did.

And I thought Western Washington weather was a bit too gray.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:41 am 

No, I don't. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
John

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:09 pm 

Google maps shows a big airport, a Best Western, Popa John's Pizza, Well's Fargo bank, a mall, etc, etc.
Looks like an interesting place to visit. I wonder what the radio reception is like.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 5:07 am 

My neck of the woods. Living in Whitehorse , Yukon, Canada for 42 years, love it. Skagway is just down the road and Juneau just a boat ride away after that. It's isolation is not a problem for most people but this lady is having problems! https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/alaska ... ml?src=rss Klondike Road relay this weekend runs past the house. https://klondikeroadrelay.com/ Some people seem to really enjoy themselves!

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 5:12 am 

@SkyKing Forgot to mention. Most of the shortwave reception here is Russian and Japanese. Because Yukon is a very unusual CQ if you go on air, you have to ight them off with bear spray. I had an old AR-88 that I used but it was too bit to big I gave it to the Transportation Museum here. Didn't see it the last time I was there and I need to contact them to see if they every used it! Cheers.