Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 17, 2021 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How many battery powered devices are on your person?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:00 am 

J. Hill wrote:
Cell phone, maybe. But I am with Alan on the watch. I saw a radio collector with a shirt that said, "Real radios glow in the dark," I believe that real watches tick.

I wish I was willing to wear a watch, I always thought retrogrades were cool (and a dumb idea).

But I carry the minimum I can get away with, which means one phone. That's it.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Dale Saukerson wrote:
I wonder why people carry both a phone and watch. Fashion?

Having an analog watch is really convenient in keeping to a schedule and referencing how much time you have left to do something with just a quick glance. With my phone I have to pull it out, orientate it, unlock it, close the last app was using, swipe to the home screen, and then see the time. It's kind of an intrusive process just those if you've got much time before your next task.

I'm only aware of the number of times I look at my watch when don't have it with me. I like having an automatic watch because I don't have t wind it, nor do I have to ever change the battery. The downside with mine is it's heavy -- 5 oz.

I don't carry any kind of keys, regular or chipped. I don't have a car and my house door is electronic with a fingerprint sensor. I just grab the handle and it unlocks. It uses batteries, I just don't carry the battery with me.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 4:16 am 

I liked my old LG flip phone from Tracfone. All I had to do was pull it out of my pocket and press one of the volume buttons on the side, and it would show the time on the outer display. On the newer model, you have to open it to see the time. :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 4:40 am 

My 8 yr old i-Phone tells time with one push of the main button to wake it up. So before unlocking, time is displayed.

I'm not a fan of Apple, but was desperate for a mobile hotspot at the time for my mobile office and this phone delivered that and has been very reliable, model 4S.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:10 am 

Phone plus fob when driving the newer cars. Usually I drive my beater truck that doesn't have fob. Does have a clock in radio, I tap display to function, that said keeps perfect time..

Haven't worn a watch in 40+ years, last was a $7.00 Timex. Dropped it one day, took a licking and couldn't keep ticking. :shock:

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:32 am 
Site Admin

westcoastjohn wrote:
My 8 yr old i-Phone tells time with one push of the main button to wake it up. So before unlocking, time is displayed.

My phone's lock screen displays the time, but have a much newer phone than yours and it unlocks almost instantly for me when I pick it up, so I don't see it. My phone is then in the last state I left it in, meaning the main home screen is usually not displayed. except in small text in te top corner.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 3:14 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

My phone's lock screen displays the time, but have a much newer phone than yours and it unlocks almost instantly for me when I pick it up, so I don't see it. My phone is then in the last state I left it in, meaning the main home screen is usually not displayed. except in small text in the top corner.
Aha, phones getting smaller and faster. :x

I could have used a wrist watch yesterday, dropped wife off for just one hour, drove to Home Depot, got delayed searching for masonry bits, then stuck in traffic, she is on time, texting where are you? :x

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:58 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:

I like having an automatic watch because I don't have t wind it, nor do I have to ever change the battery. The downside with mine is it's heavy -- 5 oz.

And routine service can get expensive. I admit to being a lover of watches, but the service that a mechanical watch requites can get expensive if you have a few of them.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 10:10 pm 

Pocket light
Backup pocket light
Two automobile key FOBs
Watch
Cell Phone

So why a Backup pocket light?

I use my pocket light a lot for various things. One day at work we were installing a satellite GPS receiver into a ThermoVac chamber to perform space qualification testing. To see where I was connecting things on the receiver I had to use my pocket light for illumination (you see where this is going right?).

We buttoned up the chamber and began pulling space vacuum on it in preparation for thermal testing over the next few days.

Where's my light????

Dang!

Yep my flashlight got ThermoVac space qualified. The battery ran down, but it still works. I got a backup light to fill in for those few days I was without and still have it.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 8:45 pm 

Watch and hearing aid.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:18 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
... I leave it in my purse.
Your what? Sorry, could not resist!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 1:48 am 

Retired so none unless I'm going someplace. Then a cell phone and car fob.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3