Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Radio Board (TRB) has gone dark
PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:39 pm 

Yes true that
there are people from around world
and most of them know only for that facebook groups
and probably most of them prefer facebook over forums.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 9:14 pm 

aurel wrote:
Yes true that

I'm in those groups and don't like the way Facebook works. There are no forums withing a group because FB isn't set up that way. People post pictures or ask questions, and maybe you'll see them and maybe not. If you go back later to a post, you'll be scrolling and scrolling trying to find it, and I find that I just forget about what was posted a week or a month ago.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 10:06 pm 

SkyKing wrote:
aurel wrote:
Yes true that

I'm in those groups and don't like the way Facebook works. There are no forums withing a group because FB isn't set up that way. People post pictures or ask questions, and maybe you'll see them and maybe not. If you go back later to a post, you'll be scrolling and scrolling trying to find it, and I find that I just forget about what was posted a week or a month ago.
+1, My houses of worship use Facebook, it appeals to a certain "spontaneous" need. I would not claim that everyone is on facebook. I once set up a Yahoo group for my HS class. Withing in a couple of months most users abandoned it for facebook. It was that hello/goodby that they wanted. The group was left active, but unused until Yahoo closed all groups.
As of today TRB has not come back :(

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 11:53 pm 

Hello friends,
The reason that theradioboard.com is unavailable is that the owner of the domain (Jim Kearman) didn’t renew the domain name. This caused TRB to stop working. Jim has owned the domain name for several years and had planned to move TRB to his own host. But problems happened in the transfer, so I agreed that TRB could remain where it is.

Jim has had a long illness, since mid 2020. I sent him an email, and there was a response. Unfortunately this showed me that he is still quite ill.

So I expect that TRB is now history.

73, Dave
N2DS

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 12:30 am 

Nothing lasts forever!

Thanks Dave.
73 de Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 2:36 am 

Dave Schmarder wrote:
Hello friends,
The reason that theradioboard is unavailable is that the owner of the domain (Jim Kearman) didn’t renew the domain name. This caused TRB to stop working. Jim has owned the domain name for several years and had planned to move TRB to his own host. But problems happened in the transfer, so I agreed that TRB could remain where it is.

Jim has had a long illness, since mid 2020. I sent him an email, and there was a response. Unfortunately this showed me that he is still quite ill.

So I expect that TRB is now history.

73, Dave
N2DS

Greetings, fellow radio enthusiasts. I'm a long-time member of TheRadioBoard (TRB), but first-time poster here in ARF. I saw Dave's post here about TRB and was hoping to join the discussion.

I'm sorry to hear about Jim's condition, and I hope he gets better.

It would be a shame if the TRB community just dissolved and went away. To me, TRB is interesting because it includes not only old radio technologies, but also newer radio and radio-related technologies like SDR, microcontrollers, 3D printing, measurements, and so forth. There were always good dicussions to be had. I hope that the TRB community can continue, either with the existing site under a new name, or, if that is impossible, under a new site.

As an emergency backup measure for TRB members, I've created a free groups.io group called TheRadioBoard here (remove the space after "https:"):

https: //groups.io/g/TheRadioBoard

If TRB members have nowhere else to go, then perhaps groups.io might be one place to continue discussions. The groups.io group is empty for now. What happens next is up to you!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:01 am 

Sad news after all these years!

I enjoyed TRB immensely and learned so much from it. It had an international following. After our disastrous wildfire of 2017, TRB members sent me books, components, and even home-brew radios to help replace my losses. Some from as far as Australia and NZ.

TRB almost never had any contentious issues; everyone was an experimenter but had various degrees of training or experience. Dave and Jim might disagree as moderators, but they made it work for us and I am very thankful.

73 TRB fans!

Rich

PS: Looks like all the old posted photos and drawings are gone, too!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:46 am 

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
Sad news after all these years!

I enjoyed TRB immensely and learned so much from it. It had an international following. After our disastrous wildfire of 2017, TRB members sent me books, components, and even home-brew radios to help replace my losses. Some from as far as Australia and NZ.

TRB almost never had any contentious issues; everyone was an experimenter but had various degrees of training or experience. Dave and Jim might disagree as moderators, but they made it work for us and I am very thankful.

73 TRB fans!

Rich

PS: Looks like all the old posted photos and drawings are gone, too!

+1

I hope someone will continue to maintain the archive of Ben Tongue's articles. They were a sticky on TRB.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:19 am 

Hi Folks,

I created a SKIP-DNS bypass to access the TRB forum.

Try manually entering:

Attachment:
Skip-DNS.JPG
Skip-DNS.JPG [ 10.95 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

then save the address in the browser

(the board won't let me enter an actual URL)

Thanks to Bob for solving the DNS mystery.

.........Zim

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 5:14 am 

Able to login and post using local Aussie fix.
Link posted with permission from creator.
http://r1rl8.skipdns.link/rb/index.php

Hope Jim is ok and that Dave can keep us on air.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 1:19 pm 

Quote:
I'm in those groups and don't like the way Facebook works

hmm i am on few and i never see your nick-name there

I am not fan of facebook but on the other side comunication there is much faster than
trough forums ,then there is messenger ...fine for me.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 1:37 pm 

Not sure how… but that works.
----http://r1rl8.skipdns.link/rb/index.php----

but what happens in the future?

I could download the entire site with sitesucker - - but what the heck am I going to do with such a large download.

I know, too many buts. lol
Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:49 pm 

Well, I don't quite understand what the problem is. If the payment for the domain name didn't go through and someone else now owns the domain, why can't another domain name be used? For instance, a quick search shows "theradioboard.net" and ".info" are available. Even "theradioboards.com" can be had.

Is the forum so dependent on the name that it can't be easily redirected to a new name?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:59 pm 

An immediate problem is that people know the old name, search engines give results from padt messages. How do people find it under a new name?

Some bit of information still seems missing. Did a third party pounce on the name? How much ransom do they want? And who's willing to pay it?

But if Jim forgot to renew the name, it should be a reversible event. Unless someone else grabbed it.

But maybe Dave's comment is based on information we don't have, that Jim is no longer up to keeping it going.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:20 pm 

aurel wrote:
Quote:
I'm in those groups and don't like the way Facebook works

hmm i am on few and i never see your nick-name there

I used my real name when I created my FB account, Mike Simpson.
As Facebook began to die off and fewer and fewer people made personal posts I joined several groups, mainly science, history and space related.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:33 pm 

mblack wrote:

But maybe Dave's comment is based on information we don't have, that Jim is no longer up to keeping it going.

There is a post from Jim, a year old, titled "I'm going offline for awhile." He stated the Covid virus had hit him hard. A month later (Sept, 2020) he posted gibberish, followed by an .mp3 stating, "can not make word make sense."

In October 2020 he posted:
"To such of severe blow and it's a stroke by and it my injured to the brain."

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 8:45 pm 

SkyKing wrote:

I took that to mean that he had suffered a stroke. After that, he rarely posted except for a short sentence or to post a link to something. It's not uncommon that after a severe stroke the ability to communicate in various ways is affected. For example writing and typing, though speech may be unaffected. I'm hoping all the best for Jim, but it doesn't sound good.

Even in the worst case, the Radioboard site is still intact, because it's residing on Dave's host for another year. The problem with it is that when Jim attempted to move it to his own hosting service, he found that it was too big to transfer with the software tools that he had available. So, it remained on Dave's server. I'm sure that with enough effort, someone could find a way to transfer it somewhere else. However, at this point, it's a question of ownership. Who actually owns the content? I assume that when Dave turned the forum over to Jim, the content became Jim's property, and it would still be Jim's property.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:02 pm 

BobWeaver wrote:
SkyKing wrote:

I took that to mean that he had suffered a stroke. After that, he rarely posted except for a short sentence or to post a link to something. It's not uncommon that after a severe stroke the ability to communicate in various ways is affected. For example writing and typing, though speech may be unaffected. I'm hoping all the best for Jim, but it doesn't sound good.

Even in the worst case, the Radioboard site is still intact, because it's residing on Dave's host for another year. The problem with it is that when Jim attempted to move it to his own hosting service, he found that it was too big to transfer with the software tools that he had available. So, it remained on Dave's server. I'm sure that with enough effort, someone could find a way to transfer it somewhere else. However, at this point, it's a question of ownership. Who actually owns the content? I assume that when Dave turned the forum over to Jim, the content became Jim's property, and it would still be Jim's property.

You could just leave it on that host, and point the new domain name there.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:18 pm 

golfguru wrote:

Doesn't work for me on Firefox, Chrome, Samsung phone browser, Dolphin browser. Is it a moving target that must be refreshed from time to time?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:21 pm 

Macrohenry wrote:
golfguru wrote:

Doesn't work for me on Firefox, Chrome, Samsung phone browser, Dolphin browser. Is it a moving target that must be refreshed from time to time?
Sorry to hear that, I have FireFox 88 on Ubuntu MATE, this works for me:

Chas

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 97 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next