Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 3:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: There seems to be two kinds of collector: which one is y
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 2:52 am 

OldHack wrote:

My 79 year old grandfather died unexpectedly;

His last car was a 75 Maverick with manual steering and brakes. I had to drive it to our house and I could not believe how difficult it was for me, in my late 20's, to drive it. How he managed to do it at 79 was a testimony to his "keeping busy" when he retired.

Interesting. I bought a stripped '70 Maverick in the fall of 1970 for I think it was $1600. I put a floor shifter and an AM radio in, and was quite pleased with it. Never had a problem handling it, and this was after I had gotten rid of a loaded '62 Olds.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 3:04 am 

OldHack wrote:
bobwilson1977 wrote:
I have owned my Mercury for almost 20 years. I find nothing charming about manual steering. I've gotten used to knowing it HAS to move when steering. When I first got it I would just about sweat bullets parking the thing. These days I over-inflate the front tires. I got it when I was pretty poor and stupidly sold a power steering kit that came with it. Now I'm just used to it.

My 79 year old grandfather died unexpectedly; he never bought anything but "strippo" cars, not because he couldn't afford a fancy one, but because he never had a garage in the inner part of the city and it would disintegrate in 7-10 Chicago winters anyway. His last car was a 75 Maverick with manual steering and brakes. I had to drive it to our house and I could not believe how difficult it was for me, in my late 20's, to drive it. How he managed to do it at 79 was a testimony to his "keeping busy" when he retired.

Of course, I can remember when you could immediately spot a truck driver by their wildly overdeveloped arm muscles. Now, a 105 pound woman can drive a semi with ease.

On of the ladies in our car group has a 4-speed, '68 Shelby Convertible. At 75+ she was still driving it without P/S(Originally had P/S but was removed 35-40 years ago). A little over a year ago one of her friends volunteered to reinstall P/S.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:38 pm 

Braithwaite wrote:
Type C: To learn about, preserve, restore, and document the technology. That is my motivation and I'm very selective about what I procure. Norman
That's about me, too, except I now try to acquire nothing and dispose of the less attractive stuff I already have.
Unfortunately, as a vintage tube audio fan, I still have trouble walking past "modern" junked curb-side s/s audio gear! If it's not obviously damaged I generally pick it up for a check out... quite a few are still working or fixable, so, after an obsessive compulsive fixing, I then have to get rid of it!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 1:01 am 

I buy what I like, could be look, chassis, brand, 5 tube or 12 tube. When a radio grabs you as the Beatnik would say it can make one get it. Have had sets given to me, sold to me at great price, or I go get at a meet or ebay. I still listen to over air broadcast so a good sounding set regardless of circuit I may like. We are a niche hobby, I try not to judge oters and hope not to be judged, as long as it lights up and smell electriky (is that a word) I may need it.

Paul

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 44 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3