Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Tue 30, 2021 5:17 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:05 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11101
Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
atwaterkent1 wrote:
It's all in your mind. Nothing wrong with the cover photos, but some minds might need a good cleaning. :lol:


Agreed !! I wouldn't ever have associated anything other than a grand-dad and grandson or an Elmer and protege.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:06 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 13482
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Zenith Royal wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
It's all in your mind. Nothing wrong with the cover photos, but some minds might need a good cleaning. :lol:


I think so too.

Hear, hear.

_________________
Don


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:47 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Posts: 529
This isn't a locker room. What is wrong with you guys...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 9:30 pm 
Member

Joined: Jun Sat 09, 2007 8:14 am
Posts: 5171
Location: Melbourne, Florida
John Bartley wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
It's all in your mind. Nothing wrong with the cover photos, but some minds might need a good cleaning. :lol:


Agreed !! I wouldn't ever have associated anything other than a grand-dad and grandson or an Elmer and protege.


That's because you're normal.

RRM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 10:45 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Wed 30, 2016 7:35 pm
Posts: 11297
Location: Sunbury, Ohio 43074
Gilligan wrote:
This isn't a locker room. What is wrong with you guys...

It's not? :shock:

or, to more directly answer that question ..... Where Shall I Begin ...... :mrgreen:

_________________
Preserving the hist. of electronics, one boat anchor at a time! :)
https://www.bbtvtestequipment.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:10 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Sun 15, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 7967
Location: Liberty, Missouri
I think Ben was right, "An idle mind IS the devil's playground". And unfortunately, some minds just can't seem to go any faster than "idle". The cover pics are fine. As mentioned above, it was a quieter time when pervs were a rarity.

Somewhat contemporaneously I suspect, some 25 years before the OP's cover pic.

Image

_________________
Pics, Bold & underlined text, are usually links.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:04 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10034
Location: Redlands CA
Quieter yes, but innuendo and double entendres have been snuck into various media for decades, since the beginning of Film at least.

Movies from the era of the Hays Code are loaded with them, it was a point of pride to sneak something past the Censors back in the day.

In recent times the biggest such scandal is probably the original Disney's Little Mermaid VHS cover, there's no debate about that one because the artist admitted he did it out of spite. I won't post it because it truly crosses the line, but it can easily be found online.

As for the covers posted here, maybe it was intentional, maybe not, but at least in the case of The Rifleman cover, were noticed and talked about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:27 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 16992
Location: S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 USA
The cover is ART, commercial art at that. All art is in the eyes of the beholder. Think abstract, then it is abstract to the viewer, but to suggest to others that it is abstract and say the there is a problem, is obvious it is not the art but in the eye of the beholder.

_________________
List' & I will Enchant Thine Ear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:49 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Sun 22, 2020 5:56 am
Posts: 2041
Location: Arvada, CO, 80004
Durty, Durty, Durty.

Quote:
"An idle mind IS the devil's playground". And unfortunately, some minds just can't seem to go any faster than "idle". The cover pics are fine.


Darn right. Some of my friends good below idle and run rough.....Where , offensive, and vulgar words and phrases are all that come out. But there is the occasion of something decent and funny.

You can clearly see the difference between television before and after the "Television code of conduct seal".

IMHO Hays, the FCC and The Television Code were probably the best things to happen to Radio, Film, and TV. It made many great classics, great classics.

_________________
Electronics are filled with smoke. Itā€™s my job to put the smoke back in when they fail.
Cheers,
Jay


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:54 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11101
Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Mr. Highlander wrote:
Durty, Durty, Durty.

Quote:
"An idle mind IS the devil's playground". And unfortunately, some minds just can't seem to go any faster than "idle". The cover pics are fine.


Darn right. Some of my friends good below idle and run rough.....Where , offensive, and vulgar words and phrases are all that come out. But there is the occasion of something decent and funny.

You can clearly see the difference between television before and after the "Television code of conduct seal".

IMHO Hays, the FCC and The Television Code were probably the best things to happen to Radio, Film, and TV. It made many great classics, great classics.


Wrong .... just wrong.

What is not needed is moderation of content to adults. We can make up our own minds about what we want to see without inflicting our mental/emotional defects on other people.

What is needed is for some people to learn discretion and the difference between audience types. It might be ok to let a big ripper fart go in the fishing boat when you're with your buddies, but not at your niece's wedding when she's about to say "I do".

Ya know what I mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:54 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10034
Location: Redlands CA
I have deleted my offending post since it upsets some people.
Apparently even discussing the possibility that things in the past weren't always as innocent as they seemed is too much to handle.

Here are some cute Puppies to sooth any hurt feelings.

Attachment:
pups.jpg
pups.jpg [ 106.89 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:16 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11101
Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Eric H wrote:
I have deleted my offending post since it upsets some people.
Apparently even discussing the possibility that things in the past weren't always as innocent as they seemed is too much to handle.

I don't think it's too much to handle at all. It's just the wrong place.

1) I think that for the most of us, those who don't have gutter minds, the thought that this was anything other than an innocent scene would never have crossed our minds. I have to wonder about the mental workings of a person who sees this magazine cover and the first thing that their brain sees is child porn in disguise. Just what other perversions does that person see elsewhere that the rest of us don't?

2) While the majority of the members here are (sometimes) grumpy old(er) men (for the most part), this is a forum that should be able to play host to a family audience, and we shouldn't have to remind adults about that. It's not that long ago that we had a discussion about why we don't see many young people and females in the hobby .....reading this thread, is it any wonder?

As I posted before .... it's about discretion and knowing who your audience is. When you don't know who you're talking to, try using some discretion. The same applies to religion, faith and politics. If you post in a public forum, expect at least one person to have a different opinion, and understand that your willingess to express your opinion needs to be balanced by your receptiveness to hear criticism about it.

As far as I am concerned, DARE4444's transmitter threads are for more relevant and would be far better suited for discussion on this forum than this magazine cover thread. The moderators should put his xmitter threads back and remove this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 12:23 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 13482
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
John Bartley wrote:
...The moderators should put his xmitter threads back and remove this one.
Whatever...

_________________
Don


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 12:26 am 
Member

Joined: May Mon 25, 2020 7:37 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Greater Boston, MA
John Bartley wrote:
Eric H wrote:
I have deleted my offending post since it upsets some people.
Apparently even discussing the possibility that things in the past weren't always as innocent as they seemed is too much to handle.

I don't think it's too much to handle at all. It's just the wrong place.

1) I think that for the most of us, those who don't have gutter minds, the thought that this was anything other than an innocent scene would never have crossed our minds. I have to wonder about the mental workings of a person who sees this magazine cover and the first thing that their brain sees is child porn in disguise. Just what other perversions does that person see elsewhere that the rest of us don't?

2) While the majority of the members here are (sometimes) grumpy old(er) men (for the most part), this is a forum that should be able to play host to a family audience, and we shouldn't have to remind adults about that. It's not that long ago that we had a discussion about why we don't see many young people and females in the hobby .....reading this thread, is it any wonder?

As I posted before .... it's about discretion and knowing who your audience is. When you don't know who you're talking to, try using some discretion. The same applies to religion, faith and politics. If you post in a public forum, expect at least one person to have a different opinion, and understand that your willingess to express your opinion needs to be balanced by your receptiveness to hear criticism about it.
It must be nice being pure as the driven snow...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 12:34 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11101
Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
tym wrote:
It must be nice being pure as the driven snow...

That the best you can do?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 10:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Sat 11, 2015 5:30 pm
Posts: 1411
Location: West Point, PA 19486
John Bartley wrote:
Just what other perversions does that person see elsewhere that the rest of us don't?

The moderators should put his xmitter threads back and remove this one.


I can't tell you what the "rest of us" see, so I can't say. I CAN say that you and I have a different sense of humor.
What I saw, after a good belly laugh, was a perverted artist who snuck this past the people who approve the magazine cover art.
As a matter of fact, there are sites that host fake and edited book covers, and I was sure this was one of them. A quick search showed it isn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awful CQ Magazine cover January 1978
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 10:43 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Sat 11, 2015 5:30 pm
Posts: 1411
Location: West Point, PA 19486
Eric H wrote:
I have deleted my offending post since it upsets some people.




Hey, the cover of "The Rifleman" is missing from this thread. Was that the one??
I saved a copy and I posted it on facebook. Very funny. One guy thought I Photoshopped it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: foglog, Mike Toon, Pete Rossi and 33 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB