Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Consumer Cellular
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 10:43 pm 

Hello- anyone here have Consumer Cellular ?

Thinking of switching from AT&T wondering how the service / performance is ?

AT&T is getting spendy..

Post subject: Re: Consumer Cellular
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 10:53 pm 

We switched from ATT to Consumer Cellular about five years ago and have been very pleased. Consumer Cellular (at least here) uses ATT infrastructure so if ATT is working for you Consumer Cellular should also. I was paying over sixty dollars a month for one land line from ATT and a separate bill from TMobile for a cell phone. I now have two cell phones and a home base that uses the cellular network that combined costs $62.14 a month, fifty of which is for the service and the rest is taxes and fees. Our plan has unlimited calling and messaging with four gig of data per month.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 11:37 pm 

You might want to have a look at Tracfone. I am using their CDMA service and have the best coverage I've ever had. I bought my own smart phone for $49 and pay $20/month for their next to lowest tier rate.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Tracfone uses Verizon networks and Verizon is shutting down the old CDMA serviced so going that route is probably a poor investment.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:04 am 

I use CC and I pay $25/mo .... unlimited text and talk... 500mb data...
if I go over it auto switches on an extra 2gb for $5 ..I think. So the next month my bill will go up $5 and have extra 2gig... but I can keep it back at $25 and 500mb by calling them.
You can use either ATT or Tmobile networks.
I am usually always at a WIFI spot at home or in the tristate area... so I almost never need more than the regular 500mb of data use. So I turn off the mobile-data feature on my phone. I only would need it if I was using GPS while driving or such.

My TV/cable internet service includes hundreds of wifi hot spots all around the area... so this woks well for me.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:11 am 

I have CC. It is cheap!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:52 am 

I;m going into my 3rd year with C.C. No real gripe but did try a home cell base. I ordered a refurbed unit, hummed like heck when charging. Called C.C. nor ZTE could explain why. Their only explanation is I have to disconnect charger and charge every 3 days. Phooey, I sent it back... I want a wireless home base not another portable phone charge issue...

I may try again, and get a NEW unit... If I have the hum I will put the charger on a wall timer to charge from 1:am to 7:00 am, or so...

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:03 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Tracfone uses Verizon networks and Verizon is shutting down the old CDMA serviced so going that route is probably a poor investment.

My latest LG Tracfone is LTE 4G. I bought it because 3G was supposed to end months ago. It hasn't and the last time I checked there was still no firm end date.

My old 3G phone would usually not connect at my NC house. The new 4G one even works in the basement.

RRM

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:46 am 

I use T-Mobile. Two lines and all unlimited for $70.00 a month. Very happy with it.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:07 am 

Have had CC for years, no gripes with service.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 5:30 am 

I've had Consumer Cellular for ~4 years and have been completely satisfied. Their Customer Service is stateside and VERY easy to work with. My wife switched from TracFone to Consumer Cellular after comparing the customer service she was getting to what CC had to offer.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:24 am 

Been with CC several years. Best customer service we've ever had. Operates on the AT&T system. Just about any unlocked GSM phone (AT&T or T-Mobile or US) works on the network which means you're not locked into buying their phones. You can even switch your landline over to a ZTE box but still keep your number. Can't go wrong.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 12:24 pm 

We have been using CC for years. We have two of them, we leave the data off unless we need to use it, at home we use the wifi connection. We pay about $42.00 a month. We have the MOTO phones. We have great coverage.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:06 pm 

Thank you everyone for your reply's

currently I pay $120 a month, my cell is a iphone 10, and wife's is a iphone 8+.

I have unlimited text-talk-data on mine, while she only has text and talk, no data plan. Reason for this was that years ago when i Bought my first iphone - 3G I bought the unlimited plan, and wife kept the old flip phone. every few years we have updated phones but not the plan.

I talked to AT&T and was on CC website and if I switched to CC cell it was about 72 dollars a month Plus Taxes, for unlimited on both phones. They want a credit or debit card as payment. I currently have direct payment from my checking with AT&T.

So then called at&t and they want to get me on to a new plan, that was about $150 with tax for unlimited on 2 phones, plus a hotspot, and HBO streaming. not sure I need HBO , we have the option for that on our home TV /Internet package and never bought it..

AT&T is the only cell provider around us that has decent cell coverage..

Leaning toward the Consumer Cell service I guess ?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 3:05 pm 

We use Consumer Cellular, love it.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 5:09 pm 

CC user for many years. Never had a problem & reception is always good. We use the cellphone for "just in case" situations, and $15/month is hard to beat.

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 6:40 pm 

AARP offers a discounted Consumer Cellular Plan. It isn't much around $3.00 less/month. My bill is about $53/mo. two phones, we never go over the rates offered. My land line is around $47 and comes complete with all the Robo calls I can handle... :roll:

If I can ever get a homebase set up it is only an additional $15/mo. I'm a fool for keep the Verizon landline, it will have to go soon...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 10:48 pm 

Chas wrote:
I'm a fool for keep the Verizon landline, it will have to go soon...

I was paying more and more every year to Verizon for only 1 simple landline... no frills.
It started out about $15 mo and ended up near $37... phooey.

I wanted to keep that number as most people know it and it's on my photo website too.

So I moved that number to MagicJack Go for $20 per YEAR... Yep I took advantage of the pay ahead and bought 5 years for $100. Includes all features like call waiting and caller ID etc etc
It's the best...and clear as a bell.... all calls to USA and canada and PR ...are free.

But it has a great feature... a free APP that you can download to your cell phone which will then let your Magicjack home number also ring on your cell phone with a diff bell sound.. and you can call out from it too.
Even on an airplane... it works with the WIFI on the plane allowing you to make and receive calls.
Anywhere in the world you have a WIFI you can call in/out free just like you were at home.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:14 am 

3 lines, 2 cellphones, 1 house phone on a ZTE, unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, all in for $66.44 a month.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 8:49 pm 

We have Consumer Cellular for the cell phone. Quality of service is pretty good. Their flip phones however are not.

Last edited by Spivey on Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next