Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 17, 2021 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bagging radios?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 6:24 pm 

I lost the lease on my apartment after 20 years, and I plan to move a bunch of my radios to the warehouse where I work for storage. If I put them in plastic bags, will it damage the finish or hurt anything?

Thank you in advance for your opinions and experiences.

Post subject: Re: Bagging radios?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 6:27 pm 

I've seen people do that with good results, and with disastrous results. Make certain that the specific sort of plastic you use does not harm the finish. Some of them will stick to the finish and ruin it.

You also have to be in a place where there are no dramatic changes in temperature and humidity as you want to avoid condensation inside the plastic bags at all costs. It only takes one or two instances of condensation to rust a chassis terribly and cause wood to delaminate or finish to be destroyed. If the storage area is heated in the winter so the temperature stays close to the same year around, it would be much better.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 6:44 pm 

I would use paper bags, they will keep dust off without possible damage to the finish.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 8:37 pm 

I wouldn't use bags of any kind at all. They give no protection from handling, and as mentioned above, plastic could attack the cabinets.

Cardboard boxes would be my suggestion, maybe with some bubble wrap between the sets.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 8:40 pm 

Another alternative would be to wrap the sets in old blankets from a thrift store first, rather than just sealing them in airtight bags.

Some people use a combination of blankets or other cloth wrapping material, and heavy duty plastic storage containers as opposed to bags.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 9:07 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
If you use plastic bags, toss a dessicant pack into each bag as you tie them up. It will keep any moisture from ruining the set.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 9:24 pm 

I used to get big plastic bags at work, transparent and big enough just for large table sets. I used them to keep dust out of them in storage is all. I did not make them airtight but this was in a controlled home environment. I could see what is what because they were transparent. They were not "trash bags". I still have some of them around. More convenient than covering them with towels to keep dust off. For warehouse storage perhaps cardboard boxes would be better and shelves to keep them up off the floor. Even then it may not be the greatest long term storage. Only a dry place without humidity or temp extremes will suffice for long term. Think though of products in a warehouse, electronic products. They may be there for at least months. They are packed in a plastic bag of some sort in a box usually with fitted padding but that is to allow shipment. And sometimes they are in sealed bags with pouches of dessicant to soak up moisture.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 9:40 pm 

Whenever there are large temperature swings there is the chance of condensate forming on metal parts. That encourages corrosion of the sacrificial plating, zinc, cadmium etc. In time the plating will fail and rust sets in. Chrome plated chassis because it is single plating, has micro pits, the moisture gets into these pits and makes the classic rust worms. Moisture will also penetrate the finish, but not so much shellac. It will lift the finish from the wood or cloud the finish.

A plastic bag is not a long term moisture preventer, common plastic is porous, Teflon is much less so but is there a Teflon bag?

A desiccant is a one time and usually a short time measure and depends on how leaky the container is.

Packing the radio in a dense paper bag then into a heavy cardboard or wooden crate would work as it dramatically slows the temperature change so any moisture does not fall out onto the metal. There are some desiccants the will give/take moisture that could be used to pack with the radio to help "moderate" the moisture of that closed environment. They often have a color indicator, it can be cobalt chloride but there are new non-toxic desiccant moisture indicators. Never use a calcium chloride desiccant, as it absorbs moisture it liquefies and is horribly corrosive even local fumes are damaging.

There have been reports in past of 20's radios found still OEM crated, many in like new condition. It is the crate and paper working...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 10:46 pm 

+1 Cardboard boxes. They breath, you can write on the side, and you can double box for safety. I go to the commercial building areas on Sunday morning to pickup cardboard. Cut each piece to size and line original box with the pieces. Strong as an Ox. Now you can stack another boxed radio on top for more room.
You must have been a good tenant being there that long. To bad you have to move.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:05 pm 

I think cardboard boxes would be the prudent way to go but I don't see much trouble with plastic bags as long as you don't trap in moisture and you don't store them in an extreme environment.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:23 pm 

Be careful using bubblewrap on painted sets! I did that on one of my sets that was in storage for several months and when I got it out the painted finish had picked up the impression of the bubblewrap all over it. No way to fix it except strip and redo the paint. Storage units get very hot and the radios will survive but paintjobs won't.

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:29 pm 

Ken, exactly what kind of radios make up your collection and how original are they?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 11:31 pm 

Moisture is the enemy, so make sure they are in a dry place.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 2:29 am 

My last relocation I wrapped my radios in Packing Paper, double sheets. No damage to my radios regardless of the finish and I was able to write the make & model on the exterior so I knew what I was handling. It made unpacking easy knowing that I was unwrapping the radio/tester I wanted. I also applied clear packing slip envelopes to the cartons with the contents listed.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 6:16 pm 

Thank you all for your opinions. Boxes and paper bags it is.

Indiana Radios wrote:
Ken, exactly what kind of radios make up your collection and how original are they?

I mixed bag of 1930s-1940s radios. Everything from wood with original finish to repainted plastic cabinets. Nothing especially rare. I collect what I like regardless of resale value.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 11:52 pm 

Dont put in bags. If you are lucky and have access to a really dry area for storage you will be fine storing them in there and probably open air, cover over tops from dust, let breath, dont store on ground. If there is any condensation from the unit that would not be good. If you do not have electric option for a dehumidifier/fan (dehumidifiers don't work in the cold), then you just have to watch. You could put them in there and watch throughout the year(s) often. Check different metals.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:12 pm 

Cardboard boxes have worked well for me, but I would try to keep mice out somehow.
Had a box that wasn't closed or taped shut, mouse went in there and nibbled an output transformer.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:10 pm 

It's a reasonably dry warehouse that's heated to 48° in the winter. The radios will be on shelves well above the floor. We have an exterminator, so mice are pretty scarce. Perhaps I'll just put them on the shelves with old t-shirts over them.

Still searching for an apartment. This is no fun.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:34 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:

Have you considered buying? A house, townhouse or condo could be had for 1 to 3 percent down. Taking in a room mate could considerably cut the mortgage expense.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 11:01 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:
It's a reasonably dry warehouse that's heated to 48° in the winter. The radios will be on shelves well above the floor. We have an exterminator, so mice are pretty scarce. Perhaps I'll just put them on the shelves with old t-shirts over them.

That's maybe the best way and just keep an eye on them throughout the year.

Rent is very high... and everyone wants to rent. Homes seem to be going quick. Good luck