Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 7:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Humor
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:02 am 

That’s a Hurst shift kit.

I repaired many MG Midget transmissions; no synchro on first gear. 1st and reverse are straight cut gears. When you shifted gears, you were doing exactly that.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:29 am 

Ken Doyle wrote:
My first car was a bottom-of-the-line 1969 Rambler which had no synchro on 1st gear. If you stuck in in first gear while you were moving, there's a good chance you would break the little Borg Warner T-96 gearbox. Cars of the past were simply not as idiot-proof as the cars of today.

Ford introduced a in house, full syncro three speed for the 1963 model year, those boxes were tough as anvils. As a 18 year old, I never did break mine(beat it savagely). During mid '60s some of the GM divisions used it as base transmission. That trans was father of Ford's own Toploader 4-speed, fabled for it's toughness.

The World Class Borg Warner T5 in daughters Mustang had a checkerboard fiber based lined cones inside syncro. Could upshift the little half motor(4cyl)without clutch and it came back for more. It's achilles heel was weak cluster gear on third, my 5.0 Mustang used same model trans beefed for V8. Yep I shucked the teeth off cluster during a full throttle(power) shift from 2nd to 3rd. I bought updated(stronger) gear kit and rebuilt it, had no additional issues.

Last edited by 35Z5 on Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:38 am 

And all this time I thought the thread topic was "Humor" ;-)

Roses are red, Violets are blue. I'm schitzophrenic, and so am I.

Psychoceramics ... the study of cracked pots.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:03 am 

Now if Barry ^ will just stop hijacking our original hijack, LOL!

I learned on my dad's '61 VeeDub, with no synchro in first. Learned real quick as I slowly rolled up to a red just turned green light, and tried to shove it into first (as in, "grind me a pound"). :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:44 am 

fifties wrote:

I learned on my dad's '61 VeeDub, with no synchro in first. Learned real quick as I slowly rolled up to a red just turned green light, and tried to shove it into first (as in, "grind me a pound"). :wink:

Yeah, can't complain about someones own hijack... Image

The statement about '61 V-dub non syncro 1st answered a 52 year old question. Girlfriend had '60 non syncro & I bought a wrecked '62 parts car for engine that 1st was synchronized. Wound up swapping '62 engine & transaxle into the '60.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:55 am 

35Z5 wrote:
fifties wrote:

Yeah, can't complain about someones own hijack... Image

The statement about '61 V-dub non syncro 1st answered a 52 year old question. Girlfriend had '60 non syncro & I bought a wrecked '62 parts car for engine that 1st was synchronized. Wound up swapping '62 engine & transaxle into the '60.

Funny you mentioned a '62;
when I was stationed in West Germany, I bought one, and didn't give a second thought to the fact that it had a synchro first, as opposed to the old man's '61.

I had advanced the timing to "soup it up", and with a 3 day pass in hand, was heading to Heidelberg on the Autobahn (no speed limit) when I threw a rod. Called and got the motor pool to tow me back. Paid a local national to pull the engine and swap in another used one. 160 DM (40 bucks, parts and labor) in '68.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:04 am 

Ken Doyle wrote:
My first car was a bottom-of-the-line 1969 Rambler which had no synchro on 1st gear. If you stuck in in first gear while you were moving, there's a good chance you would break the little Borg Warner T-96 gearbox. Cars of the past were simply not as idiot-proof as the cars of today.

There weren't as many idiots back then :)

Dale

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:31 pm 

fifties wrote:
I had advanced the timing to "soup it up", and with a 3 day pass in hand, was heading to Heidelberg on the Autobahn (no speed limit) when I threw a rod. .

Yeah you hear how great the old VW were, after that '60, I never wanted t deal with another. It dropped a valve destroying piston, head, jug & bending rod. Was just as well, the old 36Hp oozed oil in every direction(clutch slipped because it was so oil soaked). The '62 had the 40Hp engine & syncro 1st was a plus, no major leaks, made a different car out of it. Still the 40Hp was far from bulletproof. Couple months after installed, the studs holding rocker arm assembly broke off deep inside head(actually one striped, one broke). That required taking head to machine shop, yep pull engine again.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:29 pm 

I had to put my car in the shop for repairs and my neighbor offered to loan me one of his. I told him I wasn't sure I could drive an automatic.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:07 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
fifties wrote:
I had advanced the timing to "soup it up", and with a 3 day pass in hand, was heading to Heidelberg on the Autobahn (no speed limit) when I threw a rod. .

Yeah you hear how great the old VW were, after that '60, I never wanted t deal with another. It dropped a valve destroying piston, head, jug & bending rod. Was just as well, the old 36Hp oozed oil in every direction(clutch slipped because it was so oil soaked). The '62 had the 40Hp engine & syncro 1st was a plus, no major leaks, made a different car out of it. Still the 40Hp was far from bulletproof. Couple months after installed, the studs holding rocker arm assembly broke off deep inside head(actually one striped, one broke). That required taking head to machine shop, yep pull engine again.

I had a 68 VW Beetle and loved it.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:17 am 

Bill Harris wrote:

I had a 68 VW Beetle and loved it.

in 1968 VW entered the "good" era, made earlier models look like wheelbarrows.

My grandfather bought a new '68 as 2nd car, best I remember it gave good service. It was mostly used by one of my grandmother's friends to take her on errands(she didn't drive). Her friend had a '52 Ford that was barely fit to drive to junkyard.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 8:43 pm 

My first car was a '54 Ford Mainliner; smoked like a train and ran when it felt like it.

It was the first year Ford used the OHV configuration from what I understood, and apparently the rods weren't connected well to the pistons. A point I discovered at 16 years old when I tried to do a speed shift and threw a rod.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:14 pm 

Is Canadian humour better than United States humor? What would Red Green say? Just give him a rustbucket or two.... Craig

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 5:58 pm 

analog.tv wrote:
Is Canadian humour better than United States humor? What would Red Green say? Just give him a rustbucket or two.... Craig

And some duct tape and he will fix it up to like new.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 8:23 pm 

TPAairman wrote:
All of this talk about shifting without the clutch got me to try it. Quick YouTube search and we're good to go. I had driven the MINI to work, so on the way home I gave it a try. Not too hard up to fourth gear. Going to Fifth it doesn't like. It's really hard to push it from neutral into gear. Sixth gear is shot, so no idea on that. (The replacement transmission is sitting in the garage. One of these days I'll finally swap it out.)

Send us a photo of the Mini when you get it all taken apart. I've heard that to get the transmission out you practically have to take everything off of the front end. We bought one anyway.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 12:52 am 

Greetings, All!

There was a news story out of Portland awhile back. A young lady was car-jacked at gunpoint. The car was a stick shift. The car-jackers managed to get it a block away or so and abandoned it.... none of them could drive a stick. The young lady walked to where they had left her car and reclaimed it. She told the interviewing reporter that after this, she would never under any circumstances own anything but a manual transmission car. I guess what they say about criminals is true.... most of them really are stupid.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:09 am 

Dennis H. wrote:
TPAairman wrote:
All of this talk about shifting without the clutch got me to try it. Quick YouTube search and we're good to go. I had driven the MINI to work, so on the way home I gave it a try. Not too hard up to fourth gear. Going to Fifth it doesn't like. It's really hard to push it from neutral into gear. Sixth gear is shot, so no idea on that. (The replacement transmission is sitting in the garage. One of these days I'll finally swap it out.)

Send us a photo of the Mini when you get it all taken apart. I've heard that to get the transmission out you practically have to take everything off of the front end. We bought one anyway.

It's either that, or jack it up, and take the subframe off from the under the engine, which requires removing the exhaust. But there can still be a good bit of take apart on the front. They call it front end service mode. My daughter has a 2007 Cooper, and I ha to put a new head on it, which required front end service mode. It sounds daunting at first, but there's a few good YouTube videos, and it's actually not as bad as it sounds.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 12:12 pm 

Before the era of synchros you would double clutch.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 2:08 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
tomb123 wrote:
I still keep an old dial phone around because I was told that that would work if the power went out.

Your cell phone will work as well. Cell towers have backup batteries and generators to keep them up and running during power losses.

Usually, but, when hurricane Micheal went through Panama City Fl. we were without Verizon cellphone for 3 months. I had to get an AT&T cellphone just to have contact with my insurance company. Yes, cable/internet was out for months and we had no electricity for 8 days.
Mikek

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:14 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
If it's true that the government
is trying to put chips into us all, I want mine to be Doritos.

:lol: I love it.
35Z5 wrote:
You're not foolin me, that was written
by a doctor... :wink:
Attachment:
Vintage-Ads-Doctors.jpg
Vintage-Ads-Doctors.jpg [ 230.53 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

On the std transmission, Natalie will soon get her learners
permit & wants to learn to drive a stick shift. Already knows
how to ride, use clutch & shift gears on a dirt bike, I told her
it'd be a piece of cake.

The first car my daughter @ 16 drove was a stick-
1991 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet
A few bumps and grinds, but she got it. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 40 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2