Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 2:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hugo Gernsback - radio amateur callsign?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 8:49 pm 

Could it be that Hugo Gernsback, publisher of Short Wave Craft, a specialty magazine aimed at amateur radio enthusiasts https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/508047/ and Radio Amateur News https://manifold.umn.edu/read/the-perversity-of-things-hugo-gernsback-on-media-tinkering-and-scientifiction/section/7e3f132e-47a9-425e-9e6e-580b6d84ea55 - didn't have a ham license? I can find no record of his callsign anywhere.

Post subject: Re: Hugo Gernsback - radio amateur callsign?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 2:34 am 

No. He was never licensed. Too busy making money and cheating his authors. ;)

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:27 am 

You shouldn't make fun of the dead, you might end up with a thumb tack in your coax… good buddy. lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:36 am 

egg wrote:
You shouldn't make fun of the dead, you might end up with a thumb tack in your coax… good buddy. lol

Greg.

There is an account of how one of his magazines went bankrupt with Gernsback paying himself a salary of $100k (in the 1920's), while the writers were not payed back wages. shrug.

Gernsback helped build our modern electronics world, and sparked the science fiction. He was a hardnosed business man as well.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:58 am 

But let no one think that radio amateurism is just a toy or a pleasant sport. You can not be a radio amateur unless you can work hard, and unless you keep up to date with the latest advances in radio, nor can you be a good amateur if you are one of those who expect to get to bed at 10 o'clock every night. Most amateurs think nothing of quitting their keys or microphones at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, and thousands of them frequently get up at 3 a.m. or earlier when special transmissions are to be forwarded or relayed. Radio amateurism keeps you on the jump and tests your mettle. It also gives a good indication of what kind of stuff you are made of.

It is significant that a vast percentage of radio leaders in the various branches of the radio industry today, were either radio amateurs at one time, or are still amateurs, even though these men may now have vast responsibilities.

Radio amateurism is today a proven test ground for the radio engineer, and the radio executive of tomorrow. To be a radio amateur conveys with it a great responsibility, and that is why radio amateurs are the serious-minded men we know them to be - the radio leaders of tomorrow.

Hugo Gernsback. March 1936
Radio Amateurism. An editorial by Hugo Gernsback.

Attachments:
Page-645 SW-TV-1936-03.pdf [62.15 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 12:02 am 

My bubble has been burst.

I had long thought radio was all about a fun hobby of communication.

Now I read it's all about the money, I'm crushed :cry:

Ralph124C41+

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 2:59 am 

His radio stations were WRNY (broadcast) and W2XAL (shortwave) which he lost when his publishing empire went bankrupt. His Radio News and Radiocraft magazine issues remain among my favorite radio pubs of the era, all now available free online thanks to worldradiohistory.

A free bio on Hugo G. can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-News/hugo_pub.pdf

--Rich