Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 3:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Linux Mint package installation questions
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 3:37 am 

I'm trying to install EOS Movie Recorder (for astrophotography) on my Linux Mint machine. It requires two additional libraries.

The first is libgphoto2, which itself requires the second, libusb. Apparently I've installed libusb successfully. I can see the library files in /usr/local/lib, consistent with the screenshot below. BUT I can't finish installing libgphoto2. It wants to use those libusb packages and it can't see them. I don't understand how to get libgphoto2 to find and use libusb. My problem is understanding last few lines in the following screenshot.

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 114.66 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]

How do I "use" the -LLIBDIR flag? What is LIBDIR? How do I add it to the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' and do the next line?

With my limited knowedge, these instructions are barely more than a hint. Further hits are in the error messages when I try to install libgphoto2. You can see where I've tried the suggestions circled in red, as I've told it where to look, circled in yellow. The paths circled in yellow are what I put in the command line to try and accommodate the suggestions below. Are those paths entered incorrectly?

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 130.01 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]

How do I get libgphoto2 to find, recognize and use libusb?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post subject: Re: Linux Mint package installation questions
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 3:58 am 

Did you use the libtool like was suggested?

Unfortunately I have found with Linux, you need the correct distro for your linux,else you end up spending a lot of time trying to get it to work correctly.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:12 am 

What version of lib usb is installed?

What are you using to install this? Is it not in the Mint sofware repos?

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:09 am 

[tl;dr As I continued to type my imbroglio of verbiage I realized I wasn't really answering the O.P.'s question, but rather giving a rundown on shells and variables for anyone not familiar and interested. As someone else said, use a package for your distro. Unless you're talking about something really unusual (which gphoto certainly is not), these days it shouldn't be installing in /usr/local.]

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is evil. Don't do it. If you must, put a wrapper around the executable.

Shell variables: they're what they say, a variable that's set in your shell. By convention environment variables are upper case, local variables lower case. When setting a variable you use its name, when referencing use its name prepended by a $.

[tim@centos ~]$ foo="bar"
[tim@centos ~]$ echo $foo
bar

An environment variable is one that will be inherited by children of your shell, such as a program run from your shell. In sh, bash, etc (the type of shell you're likely to be using) this is done by the builtin "export":

[tim@centos ~]$ export VAR=1

Now let's instantiate another shell and see that our variable VAR came along:

[tim@centos ~]$ bash
[tim@centos ~]$ echo $VAR

But where's foo?

[tim@centos ~]$ exit
exit

foo was a local variable, so it doesn't reappear until we return to our original shell:

bar

Now, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is an environment variable set in some systems to tell the runtime loader where to look for libraries. This can cause you all kinds of unholy hell. See if it's set by:

[tim@centos ~]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Phew! The modern way to do this is by directives to the linker, which are flags like "-L", and "-R" which sets the runtime path for where to look for libraries.

BTW, you can see all set variables by the command "env". Find out what shell you're running by:

[tim@centos ~]$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:13 am 

I am not at my regular Mint machine, but in Linux Mint Debian Edition, those both appear to be available through the Synaptic Package Manager. They are also already installed on this machine. Mint should be the same.

If you don't get an answer here, try the Linux Mint forum. They are pretty helpful and knowledgeable over there.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:56 am 

I don't use debian based distros like Mint much any more, but seems to me I recall
having to do:

'sudo ldconfig'

quite often immediately after installing something that wasn't pulled from their repos?
Or maybe it was immediately after installing something I had compiled from source.
See the manpage:
'man ldconfig'

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:05 pm 

mrx wrote:
Did you use the libtool like was suggested?

Not yet, as I spent hours trying to work with what I knew already and what I thought I could figure out. I'll have to look that up.

SHenion wrote:
What version of lib usb is installed?

What are you using to install this? Is it not in the Mint sofware repos?

libusb 2.4.10. It's an old version. I expect new versions are supposed to be backwardly compatible, but not knowing for sure I wanted to eliminate that variable so I just installed what it was asking for.

EOS Movie Recorder is not in the Mint distros. Although it's used by a lot of astrophotographers, it's been several years since the developer has supported it, so a lot of Linux has passed it by. I have it working on two Windows computers as a test, so I know it works there. I just need it on my Mint computer.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:36 pm 

Thanks, Tim, for the tutorial. I'll need to study that more, as my type of dyslexia slows down my brain when presented with bunches of notation I need to live with some before I actually get it.

master_of_none wrote:
I am not at my regular Mint machine, but in Linux Mint Debian Edition, those both appear to be available through the Synaptic Package Manager. They are also already installed on this machine. Mint should be the same.

Wow, I never used the Synaptic Package Manager. Sure enough, libgphoto2 is installed there, albeiit a newer version than EOS Movie Recorder specifies.

Attachment:
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 133.01 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

So here's what happens when I try to compile EOS Movie Recorder with the installed version of lilbgphoto2.
Attachment:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 112.71 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

What does this suggest? Where do I go next? libtool? I'll study up on that if the consensus is that it would work.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 7:29 am 

I don't know if you looked at this option [url][/url]https://mediaconverting.blogspot.com/2016/11/play-canon-5d-mark-iv-4k-on-vlc.html . I am not sure of this is what you are trying to get to or not /

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 7:47 am 

I think majortom has it, ldconfig.

You install a library, but the system doesn't know about it. This utility adds the new library to a sort of directory for libraries.

I know I had to do something when adding a library, but it's long enough ago that I don't have the notes handy. I'm assuming he has the right utility, a glance at the man page looks right. This isn't something that will vary from distribution to distribution.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 2:04 pm 

Greetings, macrohenry
I am a recovering, former Windows OS user.
M$ free for six+ years.
Recommending the Linux Questions Forums, the Linux community that has been the most effective
source of help throughout my ongoing Linux journey. Please check it out.
I could not have coded my way out of a wet paper bag, but have gotten solutions there to many issues I've had to deal with.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
ciao

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 1:16 am 

Well I'll be darned, I got the software installed. However, it doesn't work with my camera in Linux although it does in Windows. Apparently the Linux versions have not been updated to keep up with the cameras. Bah, humbug.

How did I get it installed? Well I didn't do it by learning much more of those arcane Linux commands, I just kept Googling until I found other people with similar problems and saw what they were able to accomplish. It turns out that if you use sudo apt - get install with some of the earlier versions of the packages and attach -dev to the package name, it will install that component for you. I was able to do this for both the needed components and it set things up where the program could find them. I still don't understand why the synaptic package manager showed the check boxes filled saying that those components were installed, when they actually weren't acting like they were installed until I used sudo apt - get install.

Again, thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 3:18 am 

COM-NAV-ECM wrote:
Greetings, macrohenry
I could not have coded my way out of a wet paper bag,

What is it all of you Linux users are coding.
I've been using Linux for 7 years and haven't had to do any of this coding I read that you all are always mentioning having to do.
And yes I use the terminal for updating and clearing cache etc but ain't never had to do any of this coding you all say you have to do.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 4:01 am 

"Coding" sounds more impressive than "configuring"?

Or maybe it's perceived as so advanced that it seems like programming?

The way I remember it, it was more work at the beginning, but after 20 years, I need to do less, and have jotes from when I did it before

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 4:08 am 

poorguy wrote:
COM-NAV-ECM wrote:
Greetings, macrohenry
I could not have coded my way out of a wet paper bag,

What is it all of you Linux users are coding.
I've been using Linux for 7 years and haven't had to do any of this coding I read that you all are always mentioning having to do.
And yes I use the terminal for updating and clearing cache etc but ain't never had to do any of this coding you all say you have to do.

In my case I want to install a piece of software that isn't found when you search for it in the Mint list of installable software. So I must go to Sourceforge and download the zip file and follow the instructions. The only instructions that are available are the ones that have to do with manipulating things in the terminal.

What I don't understand is if a developer is going to put all the work into making an application cross-platform like Windows, Mac, Linux, I don't understand why they don't just provide a menu-driven installation for Linux just like they do in the other packages.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 4:31 am 

A zip file can be easily opened and installed using p7zip or p7zip-rar both are available from the repository.

If going to the original website to grab a download check and see if there is a deb file available as deb files install easy.

I don't ever need to install much additional software as the distros I use have just about everything I need OOTB.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 4:49 am 

mblack wrote:
"Coding" sounds more impressive than "configuring"?

Or maybe it's perceived as so advanced that it seems like programming?

The way I remember it, it was more work at the beginning, but after 20 years, I need to do less, and have jotes from when I did it before

Back in the early days of Linux you had to compile source code and actually build packages not that way nowadays.

Mainly everything I do in the terminal I copy and paste to prevent mistakes although somethings I can type in as the commands aren't that long.

There are also app-images and flat-packs available for some software.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:34 am 

Arch based distros are supposedly the way to go if you want oddball software. Between the repos and the AUR, nearly everything written for Linux is there. I have Manjaro on one machine, and it appears to be true.

On my LMDE, Mint, and MX machines, it's a combination of software from the repos, an appimage or two, some .deb packages, and one .jar Java program.

Luckily, I haven't needed any software that I had to screw around compiling.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 4:38 pm 

poorguy wrote:
Back in the early days of Linux you had to compile source code and actually build packages not that way nowadays.

If that would be the case, then I could have saved myself hours and hours trying to install this. If you would like to prove your statement I welcome you to install EOS Movie Recorder in the method that you are describing, that is, without having to compile it.

That being said, there is one distribution that some guy has come up with to install it. But it's on an untrusted site, and I do not want to install software from untrusted sites.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 5:01 pm 

Macrohenry wrote:
poorguy wrote:

If that would be the case, then I could have saved myself hours and hours trying to install this. If you would like to prove your statement I welcome you to install EOS Movie Recorder in the method that you are describing, that is, without having to compile it.

That being said, there is one distribution that some guy has come up with to install it. But it's on an untrusted site, and I do not want to install software from untrusted sites.

Now that you say you have to compile it, that explains why you need the development versions.

Normal libraries are just the library itself. Packages that use them are compiled elsewhere using the full development libs. The development info is there to allow the compiler to know how to use the lib.