Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 1:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Keeping a car battery charged
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:58 pm 

kc8adu wrote:
napa is no different than any other retailer.
they are made by whoever of the big 3 gave the lowest bid.
so johnson controls(clarios),east penn deka,or exide.

Then there's no sense paying more just because it says Crapa "The Legend" on it. :lol:

I don't know who supplies their other parts, but some of them are in fact garbage. Sensors and other electrical parts seem to be the worst. Their Belden plug wires are so bad that our shop quit buying them. After putting several of their defective parts on my vehicles, I mostly quit buying from them. I thought I was going to burn up the starter on my Ford because their crappy solenoid kept sticking on. :evil: I ended up replacing it with a Ford one from the junkyard.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 11:03 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
kc8adu wrote:
napa is no different than any other retailer.
they are made by whoever of the big 3 gave the lowest bid.
so johnson controls(clarios),east penn deka,or exide.

Then there's no sense paying more just because it says Crapa "The Legend" on it. :lol:

I don't know who supplies their other parts, but some of them are in fact garbage. Sensors and other electrical parts seem to be the worst. Their Belden plug wires are so bad that our shop quit buying them. After putting several of their defective parts on my vehicles, I mostly quit buying from them. I thought I was going to burn up the starter on my Ford because their crappy solenoid kept sticking on. :evil: I ended up replacing it with a Ford one from the junkyard.
Yeah, I've noticed the local NAPA sliding closer and closer to AutoZone level of crappiness...except with more ornery staff. The one exception are their "gold" oil filters, which are made by Wix and good quality.

Speaking of crappy car parts, the *worst* are those Cardone reman jobs. Total junk.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 11:50 pm 

fifties wrote:
I live alone and have two cars, a 2005 T-Bird V8 and a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo, V6. I have gotten down to doing very little driving, almost all locally, in the past few years.

Most of the time I drive the T-Bird, once in awhile the Chevy, esp when I buy groceries and a need a larger trunk.

I had bought a new battery for the Chevy in March of 2020, a NAPA Legend Professional with a 75 month warranty. In November it wouldn't start the car, so pulled it out, returned to NAPA for a warranty replacement, and installed the new one. In August of this year, same routine, battery wouldn't start, and measured 7 volts.

From November to August I had only put on 875 miles, or less than 100 miles a month. They again gave me a replacement, and also sold me a trickle charger. I've had the trickle charger on almost continuously, but did do a 20 mile trip yesterday, and haven't connected it back yet.

So the burning question is, if I do at least a 20 mile trip, how many days before I should then connect the trickle charger back on? The cars are always garaged, and here in SoCal, we don't get many nights of freezing temperatures during the winter.

I think its best for you to find the best return warranties. If you are not driving much, just start vehicle a few times during off season and if it don't start take back.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:11 am 

ttx450cap wrote:

I think its best for you to find the best return warranties.

I believe the 75 month warranty I got was the lengthiest they offered.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:16 am 

fifties wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:

I think its best for you to find the best return warranties.

I believe the 75 month warranty I got was the lengthiest they offered.

best bang for buck, might make sense.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 3:36 am 

Fifties asked,

Quote:
...Can you post a link to exactly what you bought?...

Sure, you'll find them HERE. The style has changed several times since I bought mine, but this is the current iteration.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:23 am 

tym wrote:
Yeah, I've noticed the local NAPA sliding closer and closer to AutoZone level of crappiness...except with more ornery staff. The one exception are their "gold" oil filters, which are made by Wix and good quality.

Speaking of crappy car parts, the *worst* are those Cardone reman jobs. Total junk.

I've actually had decent luck with AZ's stuff. I've been buying pretty much all my parts on Rockauto in the last couple years, though. Better selection and usually much cheaper.

Our Napa guys are a little grumpy, but at least they have some automotive knowledge. Some of the folks at AZ are totally clueless and get pissy with you when they can't find something in the computer and you have to show them how to find it. :roll:

I have four Cardone reman brake calipers on my van. So far, they are OK. I heard that most of their stuff is junk, though. Especially their alternators, starters, and axles.

Lately, I've been buying Supertech oil filters from Wally World. They are supposedly good quality and they are even made in the US. :shock: I'm not too picky about oil filters, but I wouldn't buy a Fram if I was being forced at gun point. I've seen the carnage that those orange death cans can cause.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 47 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3