Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abuse of our language
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 5:58 pm 

jrehkopf wrote:
“Ohmed out” and “continuity “ live in the same tent. I always follow up with “…what are the actual resistance measurements?”

It often reveals that the poster does not know how to use or read the meter. Or where to make the measurements.

Every so often, someone posts a reading of---eg----"0.L". This gets one the RTFM prize of the week

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:01 pm 

pixellany wrote:
jrehkopf wrote:
“Ohmed out” and “continuity “ live in the same tent. I always follow up with “…what are the actual resistance measurements?”

It often reveals that the poster does not know how to use or read the meter. Or where to make the measurements.

Every so often, someone posts a reading of---eg----"0.L". This gets one the RTFM prize of the week

Speaking of abuse of language, what is RTFM?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:06 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
My mother always got fighting angry when someone used the term "Eye Dropper" She said it doesn't drop eyes!

I say, life is too short for anger and frustration over silly things like this. Smile and move on :D

-Steve

Did she also become incensed when she heard "electric can opener"? After all, when was the last time you had an electric can?
John

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:33 pm 

OldWireBender wrote:
azenithnut wrote:
My mother always got fighting angry when someone used the term "Eye Dropper" She said it doesn't drop eyes!

I say, life is too short for anger and frustration over silly things like this. Smile and move on :D

-Steve

Did she also become incensed when she heard "electric can opener"? After all, when was the last time you had an electric can?
John

My mother was a senior officer with the language police.......

moving on I am.........

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:34 pm 

OldWireBender wrote:
azenithnut wrote:

-Steve

John

I don't think she ever said a thing about that one :wink:

Hear about the guy with a wooden leg named Smith?

Yeah, what was the name of his other leg? :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:41 pm 

J. Hill wrote:
pixellany wrote:
jrehkopf wrote:

Has to do with instruction manuals---and the reading thereof.....;).

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 6:46 pm 

When I worked at Sperry, we would refer to it as C&R. Continuity and resistance.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 7:21 pm 

J. Hill wrote:
pixellany wrote:
jrehkopf wrote:

And of course, the ground school instructor that I had would often walk over to a confused (or is it cornfused?) student and say, "RTFQ".

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:21 pm 

We had girls and ladies making cableforms, probably 40 plus wires in each cable, all different colours. They then got passed to an inspection bench where the lacing and routeing were checked - and the correct route continuity was checked by two girls with a "Buzzer"! and the check list said "Buzzed out" with a tick or not.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 3:29 am 

I was stationed at Ft. Bliss in the early days of fielding Patriot (early '80s). We had a terrible problem with cable reliability. All kinds of cables, ranging from single coaxial cables to cables with multiple tens of mini-coaxials and twisted pairs. The problem was that the people building them used ohmmeters to test them.

Factory devised some new testing procedures using TEK 1502 TDRs. We had about 1500 - 1600 cables in our supply system. The military people worked a week around the clock testing the cables. About 10% failed testing.

It really sucks when you cannot trust your repair parts.

John

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 3:40 am 

OldWireBender wrote:
John

One problem is that people are sloppy about how (and where) they placing modifying phrases when they write and speak:
I saw a house driving down the road. (Possible, but not likely that you DID see a house moving down the road.)
Driving down the road, I saw a house.

And "electric can opener". Is it "electric" "can opener", or is it "electric can" "opener"? Odds are that it is the former.

John

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:11 am 

KX5JSC wrote:
OldWireBender wrote:
John

One problem is that people are sloppy about how (and where) they placing modifying phrases when they write and speak:
I saw a house driving down the road. (Possible, but not likely that you DID see a house moving down the road.)

And "electric can opener". Is it "electric" "can opener", or is it "electric can" "opener"? Odds are that it is the former.

John

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:29 am 

KX5JSC wrote:
OldWireBender wrote:
John

John

I have a dim memory of an English teacher going on at great length about "misplaced modifiers". We see these all the time from people that don't have "english" ----or maybe "writer"-----in their job description

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:30 am 
Site Admin

KX5JSC wrote:
Possible, but not likely that you DID see a house moving down the road.

https://youtu.be/v0gDmLX6vkE

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:53 pm 

Having read these posts I feel more educated. Don Cavey used "Heresy" and Klipsch in same
sentence in one of his posts and got my attention. I have spent time with Paul Klipsch and installed some of his speakers. He told how the "Heresy" got it's name.
Very interesting cross section of people on this site. Sure beats watching TV.

Harold

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 3:19 pm 

Harold Wright wrote:
Having read these posts I feel more educated. Don Cavey used "Heresy" and Klipsch in same
sentence in one of his posts and got my attention. I have spent time with Paul Klipsch and installed some of his speakers. He told how the "Heresy" got it's name.
Very interesting cross section of people on this site. Sure beats watching TV.

Harold

How about telling us how those speakers (Heresy) got their name please, Harold.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:08 pm 

Hell. Just in the US of A if you go from one section to another sometimes people speak as if they're in a foreign country. I was born in the South, moved to Boston ( Baastan ) and then to California. I've also traveled through the Midwest. In Boston if something was unusually amazing one might say " Wicked Pissah!" . Back home they might say " Welll.... I Be durned!" In California? " Well that's totally far out man!" Different regions with totally different phrases that all mean the same thing.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:00 pm 

It is not only different parts of the US, but if you go to the UK, or even Canada where certain words or expressions mean one thing in one country mean something totally different in another country. Decorum prevents me from some really strange examples that are common language on one country but vulgar or even obscene in another. Hand gestures are another example.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 1:20 am 

Don Cavey

See PM I sent re: Heresy.

Harold

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 2:54 am 
Site Admin

First introduced in 1957, the Heresy® was arguably the first-ever center channel loudspeaker, used with the Klipschorn in three-speaker stereo arrays. Legend has it that an acquaintance told PWK this design was in direct violation of his own fully horn loaded principles and amounted to acoustic heresy.
-- https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/Klipsch-Heritage-Range

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 102 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next