Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 3:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ben Tongue's Crystal Radio Articles
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 1:23 am 

Whew, Ben Tongue's treasure trove of articles is still up at http://kearman.com/bentongue/xtalset/xtalset.html.

Given recent events, what is the best way to archive these and make them publicly available and known?

Post subject: Re: Ben Tongue's Crystal Radio Articles
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 1:37 am 

Good news, indeed!

Rich

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:17 am 

Archive.org has already done it. Why re-invent the wheel?
https://web.archive.org/web/20160720004 ... alset.html

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:51 am 

Perfect, thank you Bob!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:23 pm 

I was honored to know Ben Tongue and Issac Blonder who both were members at the New Jersey Antique Club. Ont time I purchased a NOS B-T UHF converter at a swap meet and I showed Ben and he proceeded to explain in detail how it worked, why some parts was used etc. I asked him how the heck do you remember all that, and me looks at me and said proudly "I designed it!" .

Here I am with Ben on the left and Issac on the right and a picture with a BTR-98B they both signed for me, about 20 years ago..

Sorry for the off topic.

Sal

Attachments:
salbt.jpg
salbt.jpg [ 41.87 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]
btr98bsign.jpg
btr98bsign.jpg [ 30.29 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:43 pm 

Sal Brisindi wrote:
I was honored to know Ben Tongue and Issac Blonder who both were members at the New Jersey Antique Club. Ont time I purchased a NOS B-T UHF converter at a swap meet and I showed Ben and he proceeded to explain in detail how it worked, why some parts was used etc. I asked him how the heck do you remember all that, and me looks at me and said proudly "I designed it!" .

Here I am with Ben on the left and Issac on the right and a picture with a BTR-98B they both signed for me, about 20 years ago..

Sorry for the off topic.

Sal

Actually Sal, I think that is quite on topic and I love hearing and seeing that. I never had the honor to meet Ben but we corresponded by email quite a bit when he was developing his double tuned crystal radio detailed in his articles.. I agreed to beta test it for him and I built it according to his specs. Ben was incredibly clear in his communication and serves as a role model for technical writing.

He agreed to test my Macrohenrydyne radio and provided both precise and glowing comments about it as well as ea positive comments in one of his articles about a signal generator that I designed that's powerful enough to test grounding systems. Whenever I feel like Jimmy Stewart on the bridge in It's a Wonderful Life, I think back to my interaction with Ben, his kind and humble collaborative approach, then I f feel some hope that maybe I have contributed enough to make a difference. I'll never forget how good he made me feel.