Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 11:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 3:46 pm 

My wife and I just got back from a road trip up north in Oregon. Lovely area and we sure had a great time. But one thing I definitely noticed was a huge preponderance of "Bro-dozer" trucks. Now granted anyone can buy whatever they want and do with with it what they want. And large trucks are definitely a choice as well. But these things are ridiculous. Its not just your garden variety F-150 or RAM 1500. Its more like people buying the absolute hugest models ( F-250 Super Duties and whatnot) and THEN jacking the things up and putting them on giant wheels, loading them up with light bars, loud exhausts and plastering them with "Scary" looking stickers and so on. So high up in the air that good luck getting things into the beds without a ladder. The effect in the end is supposed to look all scary and intimidating. To me it just looks really stupid and makes me automatically think the truck and the person driving it are overcompensating for something I can't mention here.

Whatever happened to trucks being used as you know- Trucks? My Uncle also drove an F-250 , with a diesel. But his usually looked like crap from literally going out into cow pastures full of cow crap and then having to haul things like cotton seed and hay bayling machines. Sure- a lot of people use them for hauling and work. That's totally understandable. But none of the lifted trucks I saw likely ever see a single day of actual work. If anything they're used to haul a vast assortment of other toys like giant campers, 4X4's and dirt bikes. And seeing as how a lot of the areas I was driving through had little to no economy other than lumber you've got to wonder how some of these guys who probably make 1/4 of what I make can afford to buy a $70,000 truck along with the campers, the dirt bikes and other toys. I'd wager 75% of these guys are one job loss away from having all of it taken away via collection agencies.

Post subject: Re: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:00 pm 

I think that if you took a look at the drivers you would find that they are very young males. When I was a kid, the thing to have was a car with the rear end jacked up about a foot, wide tires and very loud exhaust. Of course you also needed a 4 speed transmission and 411 gears. That went out of style and now I see that the kids in my area all have BMWs. Go by the high school parking lot and it looks like a BMW car lot.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:02 pm 

Welcome to the real world. the lifted crew cab 3/4-1 ton trucks out number everything else on the road during my morning commute and best of luck to ya if you get in front of one of them and their god given right to drive 80 in a 55.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:05 pm 

I don't understand it either. To me a pickup truck is for work or when you need the room for hauling something. Certainly not for showing off. Besides, when people jack them up so high you need a ladder to get in, the ride quality is horrible. You couldn't pay me enough to put up with that. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. The other vehicles I'd never own are the Jeep CJ-5. I've ridden in two, and you literally bounce down the road. The college crowd thinks they're great. Another vehicle they can keep.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:18 pm 

When I see those things I think "Big truck, tiny manhood".

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:48 pm 

Not always! :wink: I know several ladies around here who love that style of ride and have one (or more) as their preferred mode of transportation. Kinda funny watching a tiny "5 foot two, eyes of blue" getting in and out of their monster truck.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:45 pm 

Ed's right, the cowgirls love 'em.

Russ

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:47 pm 

Don't forget "rolling coal." :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:52 pm 

Bob,

I see that in New England too... It is an expression of power, not necessarily in good taste.

However, I will defend the right to be able to choose the vehicle I wish to drive so long as no road rules are broken...

If and when specific vehicles ownership rights are mandated, it will be a sad day for all...

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:54 pm 

There used to be laws about the height of bumpers and such. And back in my day you got a ticket for having a blown exhaust gasket which causes noise. And I always thought insurance companies refused to insure "modified" vehicles. It amazes me when I see a 20 year old half ton pickup with 6 thousand dollars worth of huge tires and fat wheels on jacked up suspensions driven by kids today! They can't be safe on the highway! Any sharp manuever at speed.....

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:15 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
When I see those things I think "Big truck, tiny manhood".

You beat me to it. I was going to say teenie weenie syndrome. :wink:

Not long ago, I had one of these a-holes pass me on the berm at ~90 MPH. :roll: I disliked them when I was young, but now I wish there were way more cops around enforcing traffic laws.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:18 pm 

A lot of these modifications are done by the owners who have no clue what they are doing. I have repeatedly seen some of these on the side of the road with either broken suspension components or in one case a wheel that had simply come off. Some of these really affect the handling, braking, and ride dynamics off the vehicle by throwing off the center of balance, affecting steering radiuses and the time it takes for brakes to stop the vehicle. Let alone also affect gas mileage, which I assume isn't really important to these folks. Looks wise in some cases the trucks simply look like a cartoon. Sort of like a wannabe bigfoot or something.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:27 pm 

Bob, I agree and we see our share here in NE Florida. You are right, driveshafts at a tremendous angle, no universal joint could handle for any length of time. Wheels offset so that all of the weight is on the outer (smaller) wheel bearing. And also, those huge ridiculous tires and loud diesel exhaust. Your description of the owner/driver fits here as well. But As others have mentioned, who am I do decide what you can squirt your money away on?

In MD, where I grew up, it was the same thing. Cops pulled you over for a jacked up bumper and tires had to be within a wheel well. Not so down here! Some sticking out 12 inches. And we don't have emission or safety inspections in Nassau County. So you can imagine the type of rubbish we see on the roads. Blinding light bars in your rear view mirror that light up the whole interior of your vehicle.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:40 pm 

Judging by the height of the black tire marks and dent on my rear left fender, some of these people can't drive. I got this in the parking lot, while shopping at the Kroger store :cry:

Charlie

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:58 pm 

I think some of the comments about the owners of these trucks being generally bad drivers is correct. At least from what I have seen, and I admit it is a small sample, these trucks are generally driven by folks who are very aggressive in driving style and attempt to intimidate by following too close behind the vehicle in front of them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 7:09 pm 

Less is more. lol

Attachments:
1975 Mazda B1800.png
1975 Mazda B1800.png [ 792.75 KiB | Viewed 827 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 7:26 pm 

The trend is all over the place now. Where I grew up in IL farming town, the most expensive cars in the school parking lot were $10K late model Camaro's or Mustangs, with the nicest being a couple year old '89 IROC Z that I used to drool over :).... but those were far and few between. Most of the kids drove 15+ year old beaters. Now when I go back to visit and drive by the school parking lot it's mostly full of late model diesel trucks with most of them having lift kits and huge wheels. These late model diesel trucks still go for big $$$, plus the lift kit / wheel cost!...I'm amazed how these high schoolers can afford these trucks!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 7:37 pm 

From a practical standpoint, the newer full size pickups boxes look like a pain to load and unload.

The bed rails are too high to set anything of significant size over the edge and I'm 6'2".

I would think the guys in the construction trades would be screaming about that alone, but I guess it's all about form over function.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 7:44 pm 

Around here the kids don't have the money for rigs like that. They build "mudders" trucks out of older vehicles with a bit of a lift, fat tires, winches and such and then they have fun "mudding" around. I'd say good, clean fun but it isn't! They are always proud of how much mud they cake on them and only the windows are even remotely clean.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 8:18 pm 

Yes, a lot of them in my area too. A neighbors kid has one, and it attracts others of the same ilk.
A very distinctive noise as they come by the house.

I can understand the desire to modify, and enhance. When I was in high school I had a 68 Charger that I put a RoadRunner engine in, and of course glass packs.

Russ

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next