Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 10:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 1:10 am 

Yup, kids being kids, as John said. I happen to agree with the sentiment of the trucks being ridiculous, but their drivers probably think stuff I'm into is pretty silly, too. Different strokes.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 3:08 am 

This happened about 3 weeks ago, guy escaped police by driving over the hood of a cruiser. :x

https://driving.ca/auto-news/crashes/mo ... affic-stop

Will they need to mount spikes on cop cars to protect them or will they ban modified suspensions? I don't know which way it will go.
When I was a lad, you could get pulled over for a leaky exhaust pipe.

One day at the pumps, guy climbs onto the back bumper, pulls out a step ladder, carries it around to the front so he can reach the dipstick and check the oil. :D
It was just an old F-150 with high miles on it, a jacked up, oil-burning wannabe.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 10:28 am 

Haven't seen any new trucks like that, and the few I've seen which are older are rebuilt by guys that go off-roading, and there are a few guys like that in the PNW, with all the mountains, woods, and the like that aren't too far from the cities.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 2:02 pm 

Welp - guilty as charged :P

I'm 57 and just bought a 2018 3/4 ton Ram diesel with stick-shift. Got it from a dealer who had taken it in trade from a young guy who lost his job and couldn't keep up with the payments. It has 37" tires, bigass bumpers and a leveling kit (rather than a body lift) and has been fully emissions deleted. I paid $50k (Canadian) and the prices of these vehicles has exploded in the last few months - I was offered $65k for in the the supermarket parking lot the other week.

My excuse is that this is rural Alberta - I live down several miles of graveled country lanes.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 3:12 pm 

Tim Mullen wrote:
Yup, kids being kids, as John said. I happen to agree with the sentiment of the trucks being ridiculous, but their drivers probably think stuff I'm into is pretty silly, too. Different strokes.

I think that sums it up, Tim.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 6:27 pm 

I suspect some of the huge pickup trend can be explained by a persistent memory from childhood, by which I mean part of the brains of these 20-something not-so-mature males is re-living their time as 5- and 6-yr old little boys playing with their toy trucks in a sandbox while saying "zoom!" and "b-z-z-z." The difference 20 years later is that they can go "zoom!" and "b-z-z-z" in actual motor vehicles for which they pay massive monthly payments.

Tom

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 6:41 pm 

...and massive payments at the gas (or diesel) pump. I can remember hearing the guys at work complaining about fuel costs, while my little Nissan was getting nearly double the mileage. Of course, in a little Nissan, it's harder to intimidate other drivers.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 7:17 pm 

allthumbs wrote:
I suspect some of the huge pickup trend can be explained by a persistent memory from childhood, by which I mean part of the brains of these 20-something not-so-mature males is re-living their time as 5- and 6-yr old little boys playing with their toy trucks in a sandbox while saying "zoom!" and "b-z-z-z." The difference 20 years later is that they can go "zoom!" and "b-z-z-z" in actual motor vehicles for which they pay massive monthly payments.

Tom
As one ages, the toys just become larger and more expensive...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 11:02 pm 

We have some older trucks that are jacked to the max and look like it was done in their backyard. Most are new and it looks like a professional job. Florida is Ford country, but they love those big Dodge Rams and I mean big. The gas ones are just as loud as the diesels. I saw one with 3 universals. There was a bracket hanging down in the middle area. For some the toys haven't changed. Just cost more.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:30 am 

Get your truck off my lawn. Kids will be kids, chronological age or other!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:06 am 

J. Hill wrote:
I think that if you took a look at the drivers you would find that they are very young males. When I was a kid, the thing to have was a car with the rear end jacked up about a foot, wide tires and very loud exhaust. Of course you also needed a 4 speed transmission and 411 gears. That went out of style and now I see that the kids in my area all have BMWs. Go by the high school parking lot and it looks like a BMW car lot.

That's because used BMWs aren't worth very much, and the older they are the more electrical issues, and other stupid problems, they have.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:09 am 

AdrianR wrote:
Welp - guilty as charged :P

I'm 57 and just bought a 2018 3/4 ton Ram diesel with stick-shift. Got it from a dealer who had taken it in trade from a young guy who lost his job and couldn't keep up with the payments. It has 37" tires, bigass bumpers and a leveling kit (rather than a body lift) and has been fully emissions deleted. I paid $50k (Canadian) and the prices of these vehicles has exploded in the last few months - I was offered $65k for in the the supermarket parking lot the other week.

Why didn't you take it? The local Dodge dealer near me is full of them.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:30 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
If the last recession is any indicator of what typically happens with these folks who lack a higher education but are making bank in the logging/construction/contractor trades is that yes, the money is great but they also spend EVERY penny on crap. There is absolutely zero money saved or put away and when the inevitable recession hits these kinds of jobs are the very first to go. That's why for a time period you could take your pick of any full sized truck off the lot for a fraction of what it cost new. I saw countless examples of these guys hauling a $90k Camper with another $50-$75k in toys being pulled by a $70k truck. Literally 300k on wheels all at once. We pulled over to have a beer in one small town and there was an endless parade of this. These trailers were HUGE things. Not your garden variety family camper. No. It was more those giant 35 footers with a fold down "garage" to fit all the toys and fold out rooms on the sides.

I don't think a higher education is much protection for that, they misspend money as bad as anyone else. There is/was a program called "Till Debt do Us Part" and more often then not they were double income couples in so called "professions", that had huge car loans, and credit card debts. They would buy a house they could barely afford because it was in a trendy neighborhood, the wife would go and buy expensive clothes and shoes, theater tickets, husband would buy similar, or waste money on pro sports events, stereo equipment, a boat, they would eat out all the time, buy expensive booze, expensive cars. Financial education is severely lacking across the board.
At the same time the construction trades are a lot less insecure then they used to be, in fact there is a growing shortage of skilled tradesmen, even during busts. Plumbers and electricians are never out of work anymore, just less new work, and more repairs, renos. The reason is too many high school students were fed the fallacy that a degree meant a ticket to a good paying job, but outside of maybe the medical professions, and engineering, there is a glut of degree holders, all with tremendous student debts, and many more who couldn't finish with the same.
At least with an overpriced car or truck you can sell it to get out of debt, can't do that with an unfinished degree.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:41 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
When I see those things I think
"Big truck, tiny manhood".

Welll...certainly true between the ears.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:46 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Not always! :wink: I know several ladies
around here who love that style of ride and have one (or more)
as their preferred mode of transportation. Kinda funny watching
a tiny "5 foot two, eyes of blue" getting in and out of their
monster truck.

Years ago women were sold trucks on commercials with the
Statement: "Take a Commanding view of the road"!
It's all about Power, sitting up high (animal supremacy),
looking down on others, and reinforcement of some personal
identity they have grabbed ahold of. :roll:
All of that applies to Men, also.

If you are small, you can BUY a new "Body", ie: your vehicle.
Conversely, If you are a "Big girl" (FAT) you can buy a Mini-Cooper,
or such, and Be quick, nimble, and Small. I just saw that the other
day. Too much work changing your body, just get the vehicle that
mirrors what you would really like your Body Reality to be.
HUMANS! :roll:

Last edited by RadioNut39 on Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:47 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
RadioNut39 wrote:
Dennis H. wrote:

I am amazed at the .. intolerance? narrow mindedness? lack of understanding? that some have for other people and their pursuits/hobbies. No, I don't like the noise when they go by at 6am with straight pipes belching, and I am not a fan of emissions deletes, but otherwise, how people enjoy themselves, as long as they aren't interfering with anyone else's lifestyle, is nobody's business but their own. And .... the fact they they drive a lifted truck with oversize tires etc, probably signifies nothing .... other than that they enjoy building lifted trucks.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:00 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
Dennis H. wrote:

I am amazed at the .. intolerance? narrow mindedness? lack of understanding? that some have for other people and their pursuits/hobbies. No, I don't like the noise when they go by at 6am with straight pipes belching, and I am not a fan of emissions deletes, but otherwise, how people enjoy themselves, as long as they aren't interfering with anyone else's lifestyle, is nobody's business but their own. And .... the fact they they drive a lifted truck with oversize tires etc, probably signifies nothing .... other than that they enjoy building lifted trucks.

There he is! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist, since you are a Big Truck Guy. :lol:
Everything Humans do signifies something. :|

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:05 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
since you are a Big Truck Guy. :lol:

Only when I had a use for one. I've owned everything from motorcycles to a small car to a big truck and when the need goes away for a significant length of time and reason, so does the vehicle. I even considered buying an aeroplane at onetime, but .... I decided that being able to afford a retirement was a better idea.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:16 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
since you are a Big Truck Guy. :lol:

Only when I had a use for one. I've owned everything from motorcycles to a small car to a big truck and when the need goes away for a significant length of time and reason, so does the vehicle. I even considered buying an aeroplane at onetime, but .... I decided that being able to afford a retirement was a better idea.

Ahh...But didn't you just order a Big New Truck? :?
Sorry, I ain't buying your explanation. If it were simply the need to
use to work with the mill and logs, etc. you could buy a used one for that
temporary need, then get rid off it when "the need goes away".
But you have chosen to buy a big new truck...some may respond:
"Because I can" and that's fine. But it does bring into question the
True Why. And That can get real interesting...

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 5:56 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
If it were simply the need to use to work with the mill and logs, etc. you could buy a used one for that
temporary need, then get rid off it when "the need goes away".

Phhht ......

"Used" is for people who can't afford new or who don't care about enjoying the luxuries that custom ordering a vehicle brings, or who don't really care what they drive as long as it works, or who prefer to save their dollars, or ...... so many reasons. I can afford new. I enjoy my luxuries. Life is for living ..... and I am going to enjoy the fruits of my previous labours while I am alive.

YMMV

cheers

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next