Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 8:21 pm 

processhead wrote:
From a practical standpoint, the newer full size pickups boxes look like a pain to load and unload.

The bed rails are too high to set anything of significant size over the edge and I'm 6'2".

I would think the guys in the construction trades would be screaming about that alone, but I guess it's all about form over function.

Some of these guys seem to be either too dumb, proud, or both to want form over function. I see them in the parking lot at Lowes struggling to load supplies in the beds of their jacked up pickups while I load stuff in the back of my stock height 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy or my minivan with relative ease. :)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 9:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
bobwilson1977 wrote:
And seeing as how a lot of the areas I was driving through had little to no economy other than lumber you've got to wonder how some of these guys who probably make 1/4 of what I make can afford to buy a $70,000 truck along with the campers, the dirt bikes and other toys. I'd wager 75% of these guys are one job loss away from having all of it taken away via collection agencies.

Yaa ...... maybe not. If you drove thru the area I live in you might think the same, this area being primarily blue collar with jobs in the forestry and mining (aka : resources extraction). The kids with any ambition but no academic skills are coming out of high school, doing a one term "common core" basic education as preparation for underground work and then they go to work, starting as labourers and working up. Within a couple of years these kids can be making (in CDN $) upwards of $100k and the ones who want to travel to inland camps (fly in) can double that. The mines are perpetually short of "good" employees. It's always been that way up here. When I was 20, 21 and 22 years old I worked in one of the oldest gold mines up here. I was a gold miner and did all things that gold miners do. I drilled, loaded, blasted, mucked with machinery, hauled ore with electric locos, shoveled muck runs by hand, etc, etc, etc. The last year I worked there was 1980. My gross from Jan 1 to Aug 31 in 1980 was just shy of $35k ...... extrapolate that and you get an annual of about $51k .... at the age of 22, fourty one years ago. I spent every nickle, but I learned what money can buy and I never forgot it, so ......

There's lots of money and lots of jobs if the people get off their duff and go get them. The banks know that, so they happy lending money for cars and trucks. If there's a default, there's another buyer standing in line.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 9:44 pm 

If the last recession is any indicator of what typically happens with these folks who lack a higher education but are making bank in the logging/construction/contractor trades is that yes, the money is great but they also spend EVERY penny on crap. There is absolutely zero money saved or put away and when the inevitable recession hits these kinds of jobs are the very first to go. That's why for a time period you could take your pick of any full sized truck off the lot for a fraction of what it cost new. I saw countless examples of these guys hauling a $90k Camper with another $50-$75k in toys being pulled by a $70k truck. Literally 300k on wheels all at once. We pulled over to have a beer in one small town and there was an endless parade of this. These trailers were HUGE things. Not your garden variety family camper. No. It was more those giant 35 footers with a fold down "garage" to fit all the toys and fold out rooms on the sides.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:12 pm 

The way I see it, It all has to do with ego. The bigger the ego, the bigger the truck. The bigger the truck, the more aggressive the driving. It seems like a good portion of the jerks, on the road today, tend to drive big, pumped up, blinged out, pickup trucks. Most of the other jerks, on the road today, tend to drive cheap little sedans that you know were designed to ultimately become pizza delivery vehicles.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:16 pm 

I'd rather drive the older junk that I do and have some money built up in the bank for a rainy day than have flashy toys that I don't really need. :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:17 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
If the last recession is any indicator of what typically happens with these folks who lack a higher education but are making bank in the logging/construction/contractor trades is that yes, the money is great but they also spend EVERY penny on crap. There is absolutely zero money saved or put away and when the inevitable recession hits these kinds of jobs are the very first to go. That's why for a time period you could take your pick of any full sized truck off the lot for a fraction of what it cost new. I saw countless examples of these guys hauling a $90k Camper with another $50-$75k in toys being pulled by a $70k truck. Literally 300k on wheels all at once. We pulled over to have a beer in one small town and there was an endless parade of this. These trailers were HUGE things. Not your garden variety family camper. No. It was more those giant 35 footers with a fold down "garage" to fit all the toys and fold out rooms on the sides.

Yes, for the most part I'd agree, but I'd also keep in mind that these kids learn by doing and by watching what their peers are doing right or wrong. If they learned by book learning, they'd have stayed in school. For the most part they go thru' this phase of "earn and spend" and eventually they, like I did, learn that they need to start looking ahead. Many of them learn this lesson extremely well and end up quite wealthy because they can do one thing very well ... and that's work. Once they've learned the lessons, they rarely forget them. Most do ok and become solid citizens, and ...... like every societal cross section there's a few that ... just don't get it .... lol

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:19 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
I'd rather drive the older junk that I do and have some money built up in the bank for a rainy day than have flashy toys that I don't really need. :wink:

Wouldn't you rather have both .... flashy toys and the money to buy them without worrying that you've spent it all? 8)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:21 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
The way I see it, It all has to do with ego. The bigger the ego, the bigger the truck. The bigger the truck, the more aggressive the driving.

For the older drivers, yes, I would agree. For the youngsters I think it's just kids being kids , and todays kids do lifted noisy trucks. In my time we did cars with lots of HP ....I've been there and I've participated and I survived :)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:36 pm 

There was a time when you could buy a bare bones “work truck”. Can you still buy them? I remember a friend buying a ford pickup back in 1972 for $1800.

Dennis

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:39 pm 

Dennis Banker wrote:
There was a time when you could buy a bare bones “work truck”. Can you still buy them? I remember a friend buying a ford pickup back in 1972 for $1800.

Dennis

Yes, you can, but even "bare bones" has a few frills these days.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:40 pm 

Yea Bob, we have them here, as well. But rather than be so opinionated, you should get you one, too.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:44 pm 

What about the gravel and such thrown into other vehicles by those crazy contraptions?

Yep, I think a magnifying glass might be needed when I see such trucks, especially those which have obviously never been on a gravel driveway, much less off road.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:46 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Wouldn't you rather have both .... flashy toys and the money to buy them without worrying that you've spent it all? 8)

Yeah, it'd be nice, but I just don't need a ~$70k pickup to haul a little bit of materials form Lowes to my house, a camper because I really don't travel, or an ATV / UTV / dirt bike because I don't really anywhere to ride them. Plus, I got the off-roading out of my system years ago. I'd be happy with an old vehicle or two to tinker with in my spare time, though.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:48 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
What about the gravel and such thrown into other vehicles by those crazy contraptions?

Yep, I think a magnifying glass might be needed when I see such trucks, especially those which have obviously never been on a gravel driveway, much less off road.

...or hauled anything in their beds.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Yea Bob, we have them here, as well. But rather than be so opinionated, you should get you one, too.

You got that Generator fixed yet?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:55 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Quote:

You got that Generator fixed yet?

Nope, too busy making a living. Maybe one day, when (if) I retire.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:56 pm 

Well I'll be durned I too am making a living. I guess we musta' been shopping at the same store...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:05 am 

master_of_none wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

Some of us do use them as they were intended. I have always owned full size trucks and I have even "improved" a couple of them. This latest one is new .... as in three weeks old. Its exactly what's described in this thread, 3/4ton. 6.4L v-8, 4x4. What it isn't is ... modified, even a little bit, and it never will be other than conveniences such as swing boxes, cargo cap, mud flaps etc.

Mine works. This is it pulling my dump trailer, in a friend's, hauling manure for my garden and for my niece's garden. Not a big load, about 3000lbs per load (1-1/2 tons of cargo).

Attachment:
2021Ram.jpg
2021Ram.jpg [ 491.67 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:16 am 

Yup. That's what my Uncle used his for. In fact, back then he would buy Ford F-250 diesels with a Ford credit card. He used the same card to buy cattle feed, chemicals, fuel and equipment. After about 5-6 years the points he accrued would just about buy another truck. I remember he would pretty much wear his trucks out in about 10 years.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:17 am 

John Bartley wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

Some of us do use them as they were intended. I have always owned full size trucks and I have even "improved" a couple of them. This latest one is new .... as in three weeks old. Its exactly what's described in this thread, 3/4ton. 6.4L v-8, 4x4. What it isn't is ... modified, even a little bit, and it never will be other than conveniences such as swing boxes, cargo cap, mud flaps etc.

Mine works. This is it pulling my dump trailer, in a friend's, hauling manure for my garden and for my niece's garden. Not a big load, about 3000lbs per load (1-1/2 tons of cargo).

Attachment:
2021Ram.jpg

I and I would assume Stephen were talking about the Bro-Dozer type pickups.

I am not afraid to use my vehicles either. Hell, years ago, I had a GMC S15 Jimmy with the little 2.8 v6 in it, and I towed vehicles all over 3 different states with it. That vehicle was the best $250 I ever spent. :D

I needed some gravel, and I hauled several loads in my old Chevy 1/2 ton. I only had ~10 miles to go, and I had E rated 10 ply tires on it, so I had them load 2 tons at a time. I just took it slow and easy.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next