Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 1:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 2:12 am 

Scota4570 wrote:
Engine and exhaust changes are illegal and violate smog laws.

Not all of them are, and it depends where you live. A decent number of the products they sell today are actually CARB compliant. And, the people that live where they don't have emissions testing don't have to worry about it. In this area, the only thing that they might check is to see if you still have a catalytic converter installed.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:00 pm 

I think the worst part now is that the "Brodozer" trend seems to have gotten the attention of the main line manufactures. Take a look at the new Tundra:

https://jalopnik.com/2022-toyota-tundra ... 1847710581

That is so indescribably obnoxious looking. And its not just them. The new Silverados are the same. Giant gaping grills with a sea of chrome plated plastic.

Whatever happened to trucks looking like... trucks?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:24 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
I think the worst part now is that the "Brodozer" trend seems to have gotten the attention of the main line manufactures. Take a look at the new Tundra:

https://jalopnik.com/2022-toyota-tundra ... 1847710581

That is so indescribably obnoxious looking. And its not just them. The new Silverados are the same. Giant gaping grills with a sea of chrome plated plastic.

Whatever happened to trucks looking like... trucks?

Just downright ugly. But who am I? The Lexus was the one that first got my attention with that huge gaping open grill that looked like a whale scooping up krill. Bumper? What's a bumper?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:10 pm 

Some years ago I noticed trucks were getting all "puffy" with bulging fenders and body panels just to make them look big. Somebody pumped too much air into them was my comment.

Even more worthless to me are the "lowriders" that scrape pavement. Wonder what happens when one style meets the other in an accident.

Oh well, boys will be boys!
:wink:

Attachments:
lowrider.jpg
lowrider.jpg [ 183.81 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 7:34 pm 

Scota4570 wrote:
Engine and exhaust changes are illegal and violate smog laws.

Noise too..............

My property is backed up against a county road. The knuckleheads seem to run no or very minimal mufflers. They stomp on it and the roar echoes across the canyon. It really sucks at 4:00AM when they wake up dozens of people just to demonstrate their lack of consternation for others. The cops used to give tickets for cut outs and glass packs.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:57 am 

Fashion, fads come and go and yes, I seldom see any pickup with anything in the back or being towed. "The bigger they are the faster they go" is a mantra I coined driving on freeways. Full size pickups and SUV's, without exception, pass you no matter what.

Burning as much fossil fuel as possible is a whole different discussion. The jacked up trucks are a safety hazard: Unless you are driving something comparable the front bumper of the truck will pass right over all the structure designed to protect you in the event of a collision. They pass over all the crumple zones right into your windshield. I'm amazed that this stuff is legal.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:23 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Just for the record, so that there are real life dimensions to compare to .....

My 2021 Ram 2500 is new, and is factory stock, unmodified in any way. I went out and measured it for y'all.

Back bumper, ground clearance = 22".

Front bumper, ground clearance under the "metal bumper" = 19", and I disregarded the plastic air dam that sticks down underneath the metal bumper as the air dam will just rip off if it hits anything.

cheers, happy complaining :)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:46 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Just for the record,...

John, I think that most of the "complaining" is about ridiculous modifications to trucks that are already quite large.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:58 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
Just for the record,...

John, I think that most of the "complaining" is about ridiculous modifications to trucks that are already quite large.

"Ridiculous" is in the eye of the beholder. "Safe and/or legal on the public roadway" is governed according to the laws of the society we live in. Argue the safety laws and their lack of enforcement all you like. Bashing people's legal hobbies is ..... silly. Unfortunately it's becoming one of the more popular internet sports.
cheers

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 2:23 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
Just for the record,...

"Ridiculous" is in the eye of the beholder. "Safe and/or legal on the public roadway" is governed according to the laws of the society we live in. Argue the safety laws and their lack of enforcement all you like. Bashing people's legal hobbies is ..... silly. Unfortunately it's becoming one of the more popular internet sports.
cheers

Gotta have the last word? Oh well, I really think that it is easy to distinguish ridiculous to functional. :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 2:28 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Bashing people's legal hobbies is ..... silly. Unfortunately it's becoming one of the more popular internet sports. cheers

Not just hobbies, but bashing people. Bashing people for hobbies, their problems, and any other excuse. Having a civil discussion about any issue these days is impossible and don't even think about having it on the internet with someone you have never met face to face. I know two people who have siblings who have not spoken to them in over a year because they disagree politically. Whatever happened to the idea that reasonable minds can differ? I heard a discussion on a ham radio repeater the other day between two people who belong to the same club and know each other wherein one of them wished death on the other because they disagreed about the current political issue. At that point I just pressed the "off" button and did something else.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:16 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
"Ridiculous" is in the eye of the beholder. "Safe
and/or legal on the public roadway" is governed according to the laws
of the society we live in. Argue the safety laws and their lack of
enforcement all you like. Bashing people's legal hobbies is ... silly.
Unfortunately it's becoming one of the more popular internet sports. cheers

Don Cavey wrote:
Gotta have the last word? Oh well, I really
think that it is easy to distinguish ridiculous to functional. :wink:

LOL :lol: ohhh so you noticed?
After 'leaving' the thread 5 times. That's Johnny! :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 5:15 pm 

Just to be clear I have no problem with standard height pickup trucks. I wish I lived a lifestyle that would justify one. Boys and their toys I suppose. But a "hobby" that endangers others bears some scrutiny. Trap shooting is a great hobby but banned in urban settings out of consideration for general health and safety.

A "hobby truck" that can drive right through your windshield is not consistent with general health and safety. We all face bigger challenges. This is a rare event in our lives.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 5:50 pm 

J. Hill wrote:
Not just hobbies, but bashing people. Bashing people for hobbies, their problems, and any other excuse. Having a civil discussion about any issue these days is impossible and don't even think about having it on the internet with someone you have never met face to face.

I think the anonymity that the internet makes possible is what contributes to a lot of the lack of civility and willingness to post provocative or inflammatory sayings. I'll bet that most of the anonymous people who post in threads like this wouldn't say anything like what they post if they were face to face. Fortunately for them they are indeed "anonymous", so they can deny this and tell us how upright they are and that they would have the same grit in person ....

I wonder how many people reading this forum are also lifted, deleted, chipped pickup truck drivers and are sitting there shaking their head in wonderment ? I know we have at least one member here who has recently posted about installing a set of Cherry Bombs on his Lincoln. I didn't know you could even buy Cherry Bombs any more. When I was his age they were "the bomb" LOL. I couldn't afford them. I had to settle for Thrush glasspacks and Hedman headers instead of Hookers! Now there's a setup for you .... who's gonna run with it?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 6:15 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
I think the anonymity that the internet makes possible is what contributes to a lot of the lack of civility and willingness to post provocative or inflammatory sayings. I'll bet that most of the anonymous people who post in threads like this wouldn't say anything like what they post if they were face to face. Fortunately for them they are indeed "anonymous", so they can deny this and tell us how upright they are and that they would have the same grit in person ....
John, we can certainly agree on that. Yes, as I call it, "Hiding behind the keyboard" or the "Keyboard Commandos". Yes, some are very emboldened when they are not face to face. Thanks for that comment.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 6:44 pm 

I was told of a similar story. I got it about third hand so I can not promise it is completely true. A young man was on his way to traffic court. In California at that time and maybe it is still that way, after a certain number of traffic tickets the driver has to appear in court and give a good reason why his license should not be suspended. The fellow was running a bit late and the car ahead of him was driving the speed limit and this was quite annoying. The young fellow tail gated for a while but the other driver did not take the hint. Soon the young man passed the car and while passing extended his middle finger to show his displeasure. Imagine his surprise when the Judge entered the courtroom and the Judge was the annoying driver. The Judge recused himself and sent the driver to another courtroom.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 9:12 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Even more worthless to me are the "lowriders" that scrape pavement. Wonder what happens when one style meets the other in an accident.

They'd be fine. One would go right over the other.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 1:29 pm 

I don’t really care what people do to their vehicles style wise, but yes we are supposed to be governed by laws. I see it all with these trucks and Jeeps, as in the macho man items that violate my state’s safety inspection codes and not a single patrol officer really seems to care. “Open” tires that stick out well beyond the fenders that fling gravel and whatnot. Driving Jeeps with their doors removed, goes without saying. Every pretty colored light in the rainbow illuminating from the front of the vehicle where the only legal color is supposed to be amber, very confusing what’s coming at you at night.

-Mark-

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:12 pm 

MarkPalmer wrote:
I don’t really care what people do to their vehicles style wise, but yes we are supposed to be governed by laws. I see it all with these trucks and Jeeps, as in the macho man items that violate my state’s safety inspection codes and not a single patrol officer really seems to care. “Open” tires that stick out well beyond the fenders that fling gravel and whatnot. Driving Jeeps with their doors removed, goes without saying. Every pretty colored light in the rainbow illuminating from the front of the vehicle where the only legal color is supposed to be amber, very confusing what’s coming at you at night.

-Mark-

Mark, apparently you grew up in a similar era as did I. Tires sticking outside of the fender, tires on trucks with no mud flaps, any light other than white or amber in the front, any light other than amber or red in the back.... that stuff was summarily addressed immediately when I was a kid (60s-70s). But LEOs are not directed to enforce that anymore. Gosh, how about open headers? Fun but a quick ticket.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:13 pm 

BTW, I grew up in a western suburb of Baltimore, MD.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next