Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 27, 2021 7:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Generator Exciter Winding Capacitor
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 1:16 am 

I'm working on a Kenowa 4500W generator. Runs fine, but no power output. I decided to check the no-brand/no-place-of-manufacture exciter winding capacitor block, mounted on the reverse side of the front control panel first, and found it open.

I decided to remove and open the capacitor block to see what was inside. I cut the plastic case open, poured out the fine white sand, and found four identical radial metalized(I believe) capacitors wired in parallel. 395K/250F markings, I take that to mean approx 4uf/250v. The wire from the capacitors to one of the case connectors was open.

All the capacitors tested ok, but that total only adds up to 16uf, not 24uf, and at only 250v, not 450v. The connecting wire was extremely thin, much lighter than the capacitor leads.

Have I got something wrong here, or was this capacitor block seriously chintzed when it was made?

Post subject: Re: Generator Exciter Winding Capacitor
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 2:13 am 

My Mexican sweetheart bought a used generator at the market, it runs but no electricity output,which exactly your situation.
Now I have a good idea what is wrong or where to start looking first.