Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 6:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Silent Noise Floor-Where Should I Go?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:58 am 

I recall hurricane Sandy. We had no power but AM radio sounded spectacular. There was no stray RF for miles. Do you think it is feasible to drive to the middle of a field/forest and experience the same? Has anyone besides Shango066 done this?

Post subject: Re: A Silent Noise Floor-Where Should I Go?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:31 am 

The castaways on Gilligan's Island!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:44 am 

I used to live just a few miles west of you, in the north end of Lawrence Township! Actually just taking a portable AM radio outside will eliminate most rfi, unless power line noise is bad. At my last condo location there was a hash type noise below about 1000 KHZ, which I could only null out in one direction. There was also attenuation of reception in every room except the living room. Now I'm in a different condo, and fortunately no attenuation or rfi for the most part. I'm also across the street from the beach, so that's another place for listening to dx. Even at my last residence just taking a radio outside, even two steps away from my door there was no rfi.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:59 am 

Zenith Royal wrote:
Actually just taking a portable AM radio outside will eliminate most rfi

Even at my last residence just taking a radio outside, even two steps away from my door there was no rfi.

Exactly, although I have to go maybe 15 feet out, past my front overhang. Nearest neighbors are several hundred feet away, but there's a big difference from being inside the house.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 5:01 am 

DarrenWGaransi wrote:
I recall hurricane Sandy. We had no power but AM radio sounded spectacular. There was no stray RF for miles. Do you think it is feasible to drive to the middle of a field/forest and experience the same? Has anyone besides Shango066 done this?

It is feasible, I have a "secret test site" at an undisclosed location far away from cities and power lines. Results are astonishing, first time I turned on my H500 transoceanic, I thought it was broken, dial around and crystal clear Radio Australia.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 1:09 pm 

IF the enforcement of the issue of unintentional radiators is no longer a concern in this country, and all populated areas are becoming a radio desert and only those fortunate enough to be able to afford a country estate can hope for comfortable reception, there is not a lage enough audience left and this could help usher in the era of HF and MW being abandoned airspace and unknown to nearly everyone. And alot of radios becoming useless dust catchers of no value to anyone.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 1:59 pm 

find a place with no electrical grid for about 5 miles in any direction.
when i want to work hf i go to a piece of unimproved land obtained just for dirtbike/quad riding,camping,and hf/swl.
nice hill perfect for catching bullets.
only power there is generated with solar.
best of all is no cell service.
shut the dammed thing off and leave it in the camper!
what noise floor?
you will think your receiver went deaf.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:12 pm 

fortunately the lifespan of a fruit fly is longer than that of most of these trashy cheap china devices.
hardly a week goes by without me getting out "mr smashy" the 30lb hammer to "repair" some rfi producing trash item.
and the biggest offenders often take out other parts when they blow up.
save $20 on a power supply for your new pc build only to have it go BANG!!!! in a few weeks and take the motherboard and gpu with it.
the word gets around as i seldom see those cheap and nasty units anymore.
wazz wrote:
IF the enforcement of the issue of unintentional radiators is no longer a concern in this country, and all populated areas are becoming a radio desert and only those fortunate enough to be able to afford a country estate can hope for comfortable reception, there is not a lage enough audience left and this could help usher in the era of HF and MW being abandoned airspace and unknown to nearly everyone. And alot of radios becoming useless dust catchers of no value to anyone.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 5:56 pm 

wazz wrote:

MW in the city is acceptable for strong local stations, but HF is more-or-less unusable and has been for a long time. HF is a dead medium already.

AM/MW is about local stations, the ability to skywave across the country is considered more a defect than a feature. Far from it, far more stations can be licensed if you limit the effective range. AM is full to the brim already, without another expansion of the band (which is inconceivable) clean up all the interference and you would have thousands of conflicting mutual stations. This idea is not new, they chose FM frequencies to keep everything local.

So, no one (aside from maybe a few hobbyists) cares about long-range reception, it is just a problem that has been coincidentally solved by 200 million switching power supplies.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 6:47 pm 

I do this all the time. My main activity with radio is outside the city. Nothing complicated, but pure air and good mood are guaranteed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqtDrc1rTM

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 7:10 pm 

My family use to go to a cabin up in the hills of PA. No power lines for miles around. Even with a cheap Short Wave Solid State radio and a wire thrown up into at tree the reception was fantastic.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:45 pm 

wazz wrote:
And alot of radios becoming useless dust catchers of no value to anyone.

I hate to point it out, but we're already there AFA AM only receivers belonging to the general population.

I took a cruise on eBay last night, viewing crystal, Transistor, and tube radio auctions.

The dearth of bids was really surprising, as compared to previous years. For Transistor sets, only a couple of rare and unique Japanese models, a few Zeniths, and a few micros were about the only ones receiving bids.
Tube radios getting bids were just the shined up Bakelite and Catalin offerings, for the most part. I don't think I saw a bid on one single console.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 9:02 pm 

fifties wrote:
The dearth of bids

An interesting trend. In Ukraine, now, on the contrary, at local flea markets, there are a lot of offers of old radios in various conditions at low prices. What exactly are you interested in? I can search.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 9:06 pm 

US7IGN wrote:
What exactly are you interested in? I can search.

Thx, but I was just window shopping, LOL! I really don't have room for any more radios.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 12:40 am 

Penzias and Wilson did some testing on this and found that there is no place in the universe without radio noise!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_mi ... background

lol

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 1:39 am 

I built a natural radio receiver to try to catch whistlers.
It was worthless in town because of all the noise. I took it on a family trip where we drove to Santa Fe. Outside of Lubbock population started getting pretty un-dense. The further we got we were just out in the middle of nowhere. After driving several miles seeing no power lines anywhere I pulled off the side of the road and walked about a hundred yards into the scrub. It was wonderful. All I heard were the clicks and sferics that I'm supposed to hear. And then I would hear some whooshing that corresponded to the cars going by. I figured out it was the static of their tires against the pavement 100 yards away.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 2:05 am 

Have you turned off the main breaker to your home? You might be surprised how much of your noise is home grown.

If not, like others have said, distance from civilization is key. Although natural noise can be a bummer in any location. 40 meters had terrible noise today from a CME.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 7:07 am 

Sometimes it is enough to go to the local park. Noises rise and fall exponentially.