Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 3:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Most difficult time consuming auto repair you've done?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 12:14 am 

I have worked on race cars as a younger guy. Changed motors and transmissions on older cars and trucks a few times. I think the most pain repair was fixing the alternator decoupling pulley on my exwifes 2007 Dodge Caliber. Took all nite to repair. Had to jack car up and take front passenger tire off and then pull the alt. out one of those deals where you can only see 1 of 4 bolts needed to remove. Then twist and slide and turn to get it out down below. Then using the special took and impact to remove pulley. Youtube shows it being a piece of cake. Took hours to get it to come off. Then hours to twist and turn and put back up inside and then try to put the bolts back in without seeing the holes and being tired. Not a fun deal at all!

Todd

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 1:36 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Summer of 1978. A friend had a Dodge Tradesman van, about 1972 vintage with the indestructible 225 slant 6. He wanted to "soup" it up, so he tracked down a free 318 v-8 with the transmission and brought it out to his uncle's farm where we were to do the work. When I saw the motor I realised that he'd got himself the old style wide block 318 .... pre-1967? Anyway, he'd already had the heads off and sent them for a rebuild, so we cleaned it up, replaced all the bearings and seals, buttoned it up with the rebuilt heads and new gaskets etc, etc. We did decent work with only hand tools and the local library for reference material.

The difficulty ??? It wouldn't go back in thru the hole in the front that the 225 came out thru. We had to take out the sun roof glass, use a cherry picker with a rope block thru the sunroof, turn the motor on it's side so that that massive wedge would be narrow enough to go thru the hole. Once it was in we had to rotate it back to it's correct position and drop it in. Weirdly enough, the motor mounts and throttle/shift linkages all fit .... will wonders never cease? The motor lasted about two years and then spun a bearing. We took it apart and couldn't figure how it would go 30,000 miles and then spin the bearing, so he got the crank turned and put it back in again.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 1:52 am 

I HATE working on vans. Even doing a simple tune up is usually a pain.

I worked on a ~2000 Chevy 1 ton van, and by the time I had all 8 plugs changed, my hands were all cut up because they were right up against the edge of the floor. :evil: I can't imagine working on one of the newer ones with something like the Ford 5.4 in it. At least on my crappy Dodge Caravan, the wiper cowl unbolts easily, making everything relatively easy to access. One of the few times that a FWD vehicle is easier to work on than a RWD.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 2:06 am 

Shock absorber change on Corolla--

Also, the brake light switch on that thing keeps going out. So that's "fun."

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 2:33 am 

35Z5 wrote:
In late '70s, I swapped frame under a 1970 Galaxie 500. Took better part of a week.

My daily driver turned out to be a northern refugee, frame over rear axle was al but non existent. Guy I got it from worked at Ford's Norfolk assembly plant & told me he bought it from a fellow worker. Not sure how I found his wife worked at one of the Sears stores I serviced. She told me they bought it new in St Paul & car spent two winters there. Fast forward seven years, salt accumulated inside frame decided it was time to make it's exit. Bought a local car that guy was using for his lawn service, body horrid, engine shot, grass growing in back seat, frame was great.

Around same time I had a '69 Ranchero that had been wrecked & front half from a station wagon grafted on. Work was poor at best, didn fit correctly as Ranchero used 2dr ht chassis from doors forward(different windshield angles). I had a guy look at it that could correctly rebuild wrecks, said it was easily fixable(for him). Told me to supply a donor car & strip everything on both from doors forward, including fenders, hood, drive train etc. Only windshields were still installed. He brought it back in a about a week with the two halves joined. Unless you knew where to look couldn't tell it was two different vehicles. Took me a couple months to reassemble it.

I've swapped enough engines that I can't count 'em on all my toes & fingers. Yep I've repl head gasket on 6cyl Granada. Actually was complete head as orig was cracked in valve seats. Replaced both heads on a V6 Chevy Malibu. Heads off my '69 Fairlane 428 twice for burned valves.

In '13 I totally rebuilt front suspension, steering & converted to disc brakes a '72 Mercury Comet. Also Installed new engine at same time. Burned out after a couple months, when summer broke I finally finished it. Was fresh painted(incl new glass) when I bought it but engine bay, steering etc were stuck solidly in 1972. In '17 installed power steering & rebuilt front suspension on 428 Fairlane & did so again on 302 Fairlane I bought in '19.

nice photos. OP said most time consuming.. total rebuild take many many hrs. When you work on this stuff that's all you do all day, it's for the luv for it.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 4:42 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Eric H wrote:
Rebuilding a 2007-ish Crown Victoria that had driven over railroad tracks at speed, not at a crossing, just over the tracks.

There must be a story behind this.

RRM

Not really, Deputy chasing someone, ran over tracks somehow. It was fairly common for them to tear them up.

Three CVs towed in one day with the front suspension torn up and all four wheels + axles bent. I never did get the story on that one but guessed they played follow the leader over a curb. Those were only about $2500 worth of parts (each), and they aligned perfectly after.

Then there were the five that were towed in with broken engines on a day when it rained hard. That was also a fairly common thing until the department started getting a $4000 bill for each new engine.

I miss my job, it was rarely dull.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 8:46 am 

ttx450cap wrote:
35Z5 wrote:
In '13 I totally rebuilt front suspension, steering & converted to disc brakes a '72 Mercury Comet. Also Installed new engine at same time. Burned out after a couple months, when summer broke I finally finished it. Was fresh painted(incl new glass) when I bought it but engine bay, steering etc were stuck solidly in 1972. In '17 installed power steering & rebuilt front suspension on 428 Fairlane & did so again on 302 Fairlane I bought in '19.

nice photos. OP said most time consuming.. total rebuild take many many hrs. When you work on this stuff that's all you do all day, it's for the luv for it.

Can't take all the credit, I had help. Grand Daughter showed me how to install Torino disc brakes & where the other parts went.

Attachments:
nataliehelping.jpg.jpg
nataliehelping.jpg.jpg [ 191.78 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]
cometparts2_zps6b54dbd5.jpg
cometparts2_zps6b54dbd5.jpg [ 221.26 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]
comettorinobrakes2_zpsb6294e48.jpg
comettorinobrakes2_zpsb6294e48.jpg [ 176.52 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]
cometfranklin.JPG
cometfranklin.JPG [ 539.75 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 12:38 pm 

A/C condenser replacement on my 2013 Mustang V6. Had to shimmy it out of the bottom of the car after using a rope to pull the radiator core back towards the firewall to get access to the bolts. If I had the V8, I wouldn't have had enough room and would have needed to disconnect the radiator hoses and take it out.

Then pump down and recharge the system. Took the better part of a day...especially as some of the hoses that came with the parts-store A/C recharge kit were garbage and broke, requiring a parts run.

Last edited by tym on Sep Sun 19, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 10:58 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
35Z5 wrote:

Can't take all the credit, I had help. Grand Daughter showed me how to install Torino disc brakes & where the other parts went.

Nice upgrade. Cool to see your granddaughter having fun in the garage.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:55 am 

"repair" being a repair, not a rebuilding job or collision damage or engine swap ...

Intake Manifold on a 2000-ish Honda Accord. Some internal air passages carbon up and mess up the emission controls system, which makes the vehicle undriveable. Being a FWD drive car the engine is sideways, with the manifold against the firewall. R/R required taking most of the top "stuff" off the engine, becoming a contortionist to get some of the bolts out, and then reversing the entire process. I should have let the dealer do it. IIRC it took me two 5 hour sessions, a few days apart. Some of that time might have been figuring out where all the parts came from .......

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:41 pm 

Book pays 1 hr, keep your day job :wink:

Last edited by ttx450cap on Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:15 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
"repair" being a repair, not a rebuilding job or collision damage or engine swap ...

Not sure how you came up with that, sounds like an nominal fallacy. I take it you want to argue. When you repair, fix, replace, rebuild, restore, upgrade, it is most often to fix a problem, it will need to be removed, repaired, rebuild, upgraded. Shewww...

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:43 am 

ttx450cap wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:

Not sure how you came up with that, sounds like an nominal fallacy. I take it you want to argue. When you repair, fix, replace, rebuild, restore, upgrade, it is most often to fix a problem, it will need to be removed, repaired, rebuild, upgraded. Shewww...

ummm... WHAT???? lmao... YOU are the one arguing. How about you stay out of it if you have nothing important to add.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:22 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:

I've swapped numerous engines that orig was dead or beyond hope. It ain't pretty when piston busts and rod jabs through cylinder wall, or valve drops and produces similar carnage.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:39 am 

We bought a 1972 VW Westphalia camper van for a trip to see my wife's family out East. Repairs began before we left, but that was just a primer. Day 1, as dusk fell, we saw one headlight had died. My screwdriver wouldn't take the rim off, so we parked and got it fixed Day 2. Day 3, a valve cover gasket started dripping oil. Day 4, found a new gasket, popped it in and we were good. Day 5, no starter, good thing it was a standard and easy to bump start. Day 6, found a starter in Regina, installed the starter Day 7 in Winnipeg, you get the drift. A couple of days later, a rear brake drum was squealing.

We found a VW repair guy and he was great, took a bit of metal off the backing plate and made sure the wheel bearing wasn't too bad.

Coming back thru the US, in fact it was Wolf Point, Montana, There was gas leaking from the fuel pump.
Nobody had a gasket or diaphragm or anything, but I thought I could buy some gasket material. About that time I read the repair manual and saw that the 1972 VW has a funny quirk. The shaft for the fuel pump is so long, the pump hits the axle if you try to pull it out. Job 1 is pull the engine out of the van. :x

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 6:45 am 

Sounds like our VW Jetta. I couldn't throw new parts at that POS fast enough to keep everything working and have it be reliable. It was a happy day when I I decided to send it to the junkyard. I just wish I could have seen it when they crushed it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:05 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
We bought a 1972 VW Westphalia camper van for a trip to see my wife's family out East. Repairs began before we left, but that was just a primer. Day 1, as dusk fell, we saw one headlight had died. My screwdriver wouldn't take the rim off, so we parked and got it fixed Day 2. Day 3, a valve cover gasket started dripping oil. Day 4, found a new gasket, popped it in and we were good. Day 5, no starter, good thing it was a standard and easy to bump start. Day 6, found a starter in Regina, installed the starter Day 7 in Winnipeg, you get the drift. A couple of days later, a rear brake drum was squealing.

We found a VW repair guy and he was great, took a bit of metal off the backing plate and made sure the wheel bearing wasn't too bad.

Coming back thru the US, in fact it was Wolf Point, Montana, There was gas leaking from the fuel pump.
Nobody had a gasket or diaphragm or anything, but I thought I could buy some gasket material. About that time I read the repair manual and saw that the 1972 VW has a funny quirk. The shaft for the fuel pump is so long, the pump hits the axle if you try to pull it out. Job 1 is pull the engine out of the van. :x

Sounds like the movie Little Miss Sunshine

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:33 pm 

Anyone (tried to)rebuild a carb in a parking lot??

June 30, 2019 Beckley WV, on way home from Alliance OH. Prev owner had the thought any new replacement part would be better than orig, and that should be case. What he didn't count on, offshore junk. Carb had maybe 300 miles when one of the vacuum plugs dislodged, allowing massive air leak, rendered one side of 2bbl carb inoperative. With air to fuel ratio in the sky, engine would barely make enough power to get up some of the larger hills on I-64. If lucky it could make 40 mph in the truck lane. I pulled carb again in Lewisburg WV, cut spacer/gasket so all cylinders could draw gas from opposite side of carb. Far from perfect, it crossed 80 mph up Afton mountain, near Charlottesville VA.

After making it home I went through a friends stash and found a orig 1969 carb that I rebuilt & installed, runs perfect.

Attachments:
Belkcarbrepair.JPG
Belkcarbrepair.JPG [ 643.58 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]
belkcarbrepair2.JPG
belkcarbrepair2.JPG [ 383.9 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:52 pm 

Right, you had your basic set of wrenches with you but a little folding chair would have been handy. And some paper towels. Lucky they didn't hassle you for blocking the fire lane. Nice ride you got there.

That day in Wolf Point, Montana, we sat there in the park and had lunch, gas dripping into a pan, while I read the Haynes VW Repair manual one more time, couldn't believe it. That engine with the goofy fuel pump was a 1700 cc I think only used for a year or so, but as luck would have it, it was our transportation home.
We were down but not out, so on a full stomach, I had the inspiration. Went back to the Ford, Chev or Dodge parts store and bought a little electric fuel pump. About an hour later, with wire and plumbing strap from the junk box, we were back on the road and had a fairly trouble free trip home.

Sold the van a couple of months later with that little electric pump still wired to the ignition coil, so long and good luck with it. :D

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:20 pm 

Well, the carb in the parking lot is certainly a challenge. Back in my younger (and dumber?) days, we changed an automatic transmission in a parking lot at a college dorm. All was going well until someone noticed a torque converter rolling down the gentle hill......

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next