Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 17, 2021 11:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ever heard a m.w. station West of the Rockies in the Eas
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 12:06 am 

Dalton wrote:
fifties wrote:
Being on the Pacific Coast, I can get some of the 50 kilowatt blowtorches east of the Rockies at times.
Best DX has been WHAS/840/Louisville Ky. Just distance shy of that;
WLS/890 & WGN/720, Chicago
WWL/870/New Orleans, LA.
WHO/1040 Des Moines, IW.
KVOO/1170/Tulsa, OK
WOAI/1200/San Antonio TX
KRLD/1080/Dallas TX.
KSTP/1500/St. Paul, MN
KOMA/1520/Oklahoma City, OK.

I've also gotten two Canadian stations from Vancouver, BC. It's a real treat to be able to receive a C or W prefixed call sign here.

I wonder why it doesn't seem to work in the opposite direction?

As you can see, my maximum range is about 2,000 miles. I would love to be able to pick up an east coast broadcast station, but that's about another 800 miles or so.

Your best bets for a west coast station might be KFI/640 and KNX/1070 from Los Angeles, KCBS/740/San Francisco, KOMO/1000/Seattle, and XEPRS/1090/Tijuana BC.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:44 am 

I'm on the West Coast, but the farthest east regular reception I get is KSTP 1500, St. Paul MN. XERF is regular on 1570 about half the year.

When DX conditions are good, I've received Radio Rebelde on 1180, on my Panasonic RF-B45, Realistic TRF (with and without aid of an external loop), and even on a Radio Shack Pocket Radio (during fade ups). It was always in the back of two other stations on the channel, but I could clearly hear it and could parallel it to the SW outlet on 5025 Khz and ID it that way.

Haven't heard it in years... not since 2015-2016 or so. It's my farthest east catch. The next one would probably be WWL or the Texas station on 1700, which I think is in Brownsville. Those two were good DX year receptions also.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:52 pm 

They are still there behind WHAM, try 1620 - reliable here most nights
KCJJ is a regular here, not sure if it is west of the Missouri 50k

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 6:08 pm 

Dalton wrote:
I am saying I have NEVER heard a m.w. station West of the Rockies over the air, and am asking if anyone in the East ever has.
I have heard KSL-1160, 50 kW, Salt Lake City a few times on my RF-2200 at about midnight. 2,112 miles due West from Utica. A local station (WRUN-1150) had gone dark and WWVA-1170, Wheeling, WV was off because their towers had collapsed due to a bad storm.
Attachment:
WWVA Towers Collapse.jpg
WWVA Towers Collapse.jpg [ 131.54 KiB | Viewed 357 times ]

Therefore, there was no adjacent channel interference from 1150 or 1170. Other stations on 1160 frequency operate with relatively low power at night. KLS's signal was not strong but quite listenable. I think this was in 2010 but I haven't tried them recently.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 7:01 pm 

In 1984, I heard WLS 890 in my hotel room south of San Francisco, so the opposite version of your question happened. It was on a Sony ICF-6500 with its built-in antenna.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 7:21 pm 

Hey All.

Once ( I think.Possibly). Many, many , many moons ago ( 50 years ago ?).

Signal rose up out of nowhere to good copy . Some such tiny bit such as "the temperature here in Bakersfield, (presumed Cali), is 146 degrees". Then it vanished for good in under 30 seconds.

This is exactly the same scenario I had on a presumed Brazilian- copied on an 8 ft Hi Q loop crystal set some years ago in while in MO. Up - Good - GONE ! Again , no more than 30 seconds or so of good Portuguese copy. Hmmmmmm.

The West coast "problem" ? Pure speculation follows :

"Average" extreme distance on AM over a purely land path max almost always under 2000 mi ?? Distance to CA 3000 ?

Not many stations IN the Rockies(or high Sierras), most either fully East or West of mountains .A fairly big hole in the longitude that that makes up the N-S band of the Rockies maybe 200 to 400 mi wide ?

Physical "Blockage" - low angle sky wave absorbed by mountains.I had done some fairly serious hyper weak daytime ground wave tests from Boston to NYC/ ENJ transmitter sites.It "seems" to play out that Manhattan (MAY) "get in the way" on some (line of site through tall building areas ), while others that path well NORTH of Midtown do better. Again , an "apparent" effect that would need more serious work, better gear and more time ( than I have !). But it seemed something to it.

"Higher" angle skywave may hit down range in the plains, but two hop on AM seems extremely rare (may have only this it TWICE in 50 years plus of serious AM Dxing). For the most part, just TOO DANG FAR to Cali ,especially for a land path !

Protection / "intermediate" distance Co channel QRM : The TOP Class A clear channel stations , if I am correct, USED to be protected to 1500 miles ( anyone ??). I think this may have been now cut to 750 miles (???). It seems few to NO "long Dx " frequencies are clear for as far as they "used" to be.

FWIW , WAY back in the day KSL was hyper rare , but I can't recall quite how often. Probably in very low single digits over ALL the years. AM BCB SEEMS to pretty much run out of gas at Salt Lake arc distance of CONUS . WBAP VERY rare. WWL rare but repeats.WHO rare but repeats.WCCO very/extremely rare. KMOX good signal but a rare due to local Co channel.Yet path to Cuba can be good. CMLA 640 can be good at times in noisy apt boom box using just on a Select -A-Tenna. I had them very recently.

I used to get other Caribbeans "at times" on crystal set as well, Cuba was copied "fairly often" on xtal.

Trans Atlantic LW BCB was almost "ho hum".Transatlantic Afroeuro /Saudi MW BCB also copied but very , very tough.

Again ,just spit balling , nothing I present is "proven".

K

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 8:59 pm 

krystallo wrote:
Some such tiny bit such as "the temperature here in Bakersfield, (presumed Cali), is 146 degrees".

It doesn't even get that hot in Death Valley, much less the San Juaquin where Bakersfield is located. IDK if there are any 50 kilowatt stations in Bakersfield, but you may have actually picked up a station there.

krystallo wrote:
path to Cuba can be good.

I have noticed here as well, that north/south reception is quite good, possibly due to the transmission patterns of the stations. I can get stations up and down the Pacific Coast, from Seattle to inside Mexico any night.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 9:28 pm 

fifties wrote:
krystallo wrote:
Some such tiny bit such as "the temperature here in Bakersfield, (presumed Cali), is 146 degrees".

It doesn't even get that hot in Death Valley, much less the San Juaquin where Bakersfield is located. IDK if there are any 50 kilowatt stations in Bakersfield, but you may have actually picked up a station there.

krystallo wrote:
path to Cuba can be good.

I have noticed here as well, that north/south reception is quite good, possibly due to the transmission patterns of the stations. I can get stations up and down the Pacific Coast, from Seattle to inside Mexico any night.

Yes, here too. Always easier hearing North/South than East/West. Reminds me of "Trans-Equatorial propagation ". (Even though we're not going as far as the Equator) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 9:40 pm 

I live in the Midwest right on the Mississippi River and have NEVER picked up any station west of the Rockies.
I have DX'ed at night many times when I get up and have pulled in many eastern or Southern or Northern midwest places including
NYC stations, Atlanta, Boston And even a few Florida ones but never have gotten over that west hump.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 9:45 pm 

When I lived in Michigan in the early nineties, I could get KSL on my car radio.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 3:56 am 

fifties wrote:
Dalton wrote:
fifties wrote:
Being on the Pacific Coast, I can get some of the 50 kilowatt blowtorches east of the Rockies at times.
Best DX has been WHAS/840/Louisville Ky. Just distance shy of that;
WLS/890 & WGN/720, Chicago
WWL/870/New Orleans, LA.
WHO/1040 Des Moines, IW.
KVOO/1170/Tulsa, OK
WOAI/1200/San Antonio TX
KRLD/1080/Dallas TX.
KSTP/1500/St. Paul, MN
KOMA/1520/Oklahoma City, OK.

I've also gotten two Canadian stations from Vancouver, BC. It's a real treat to be able to receive a C or W prefixed call sign here.

I wonder why it doesn't seem to work in the opposite direction?

As you can see, my maximum range is about 2,000 miles. I would love to be able to pick up an east coast broadcast station, but that's about another 800 miles or so.

Your best bets for a west coast station might be KFI/640 and KNX/1070 from Los Angeles, KCBS/740/San Francisco, KOMO/1000/Seattle, and XEPRS/1090/Tijuana BC.

Thanks, fifties!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 3:58 am 

Renton481 wrote:
I'm on the West Coast, but the farthest east regular reception I get is KSTP 1500, St. Paul MN. XERF is regular on 1570 about half the year.

When DX conditions are good, I've received Radio Rebelde on 1180, on my Panasonic RF-B45, Realistic TRF (with and without aid of an external loop), and even on a Radio Shack Pocket Radio (during fade ups). It was always in the back of two other stations on the channel, but I could clearly hear it and could parallel it to the SW outlet on 5025 Khz and ID it that way.

Haven't heard it in years... not since 2015-2016 or so. It's my farthest east catch. The next one would probably be WWL or the Texas station on 1700, which I think is in Brownsville. Those two were good DX year receptions also.

Thanks, Renton.

At least I know the problem is not one sided.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:00 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Dalton wrote:
I am saying I have NEVER heard a m.w. station West of the Rockies over the air, and am asking if anyone in the East ever has.
I have heard KSL-1160, 50 kW, Salt Lake City a few times on my RF-2200 at about midnight. 2,112 miles due West from Utica. A local station (WRUN-1150) had gone dark and WWVA-1170, Wheeling, WV was off because their towers had collapsed due to a bad storm.
Attachment:
WWVA Towers Collapse.jpg

Therefore, there was no adjacent channel interference from 1150 or 1170. Other stations on 1160 frequency operate with relatively low power at night. KLS's signal was not strong but quite listenable. I think this was in 2010 but I haven't tried them recently.

Dave

Thanks!

KSL sounds like a good possibility!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 8:09 pm 

Not a solid sleeper ll listen between12 and 6am sporadically on a Grundig s350DL about every nite. I have picked up KNX in LA on occasion for several hours . KSL Salt Lake usually booms inas does KOA in Denver My most memorable was receiving KTNN in WindowRock,Arizona playing Country music andDJs talking Navaho most of the time.Once in the 70s or 80sThey were off air for a week or so then on tv news seen they had been broken into and taken over by fellow tribesmen,and station equipment destroyed.Cant remember what the reason was now. Still listen to them usually from 2 to 4 am during the summer. About every Saturday between 5am to 7am listen to WSB Atlanta gardening show for At least 20 years.Listening tocoverage of Katrina destruction of New Orleans on WWL was quite unusual. Love that DX TommyTinker

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 8:38 pm 

One thing I liked about being stationed in Kansas was one could do some really good DX'ing on a car radio.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 10:49 pm 

tommytinker wrote:
I have picked up KNX in LA on occasion for several hours . KSL Salt Lake usually booms inas does KOA in Denver My most memorable was receiving KTNN in WindowRock,Arizona playing Country music andDJs talking Navaho most of the time.

I would say that picking up KNX was a jackpot, and apparently you are the only one so far on the board who has gotten a Pacific coast broadcast east of the Rockies.

KTNN 660 comes booming in every evening here, although it does fade in and out. KOA/Denver is east of the Rockies. I think you want stations in Calif, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 11:56 am 

Nothing now but as a boy back in the 1950's we would get many stations west of the rockies from Chesterfield, Massachusetts (1200 feet elevation) on a nightly basis. This was, of course when most smaller stations went off at sunset and always played the star spangled banner when they came on in the morning. I think my most interesting and somewhat unbelievable catch was KROP in Brawley, California which was a 250 watt station. I got most of my DX on a 5 tube Zenith chairside. I have logged many Mexican stations as well. My only antenna was a water pipe in the cellar. We had no man made noises in those days - ideal conditions. My Mother wondered why I always in a daze. I never let on that I was often up until 4 in the morning trying for distance. I knew that when WGY went off in the early morning one couldn't help not getting KGO in San Francisco. If you have an White's radio log in those days, you could gage your chances. Most local stations were segregated to a few channels and went off early. What fun that was! I got in to TV DX later but that was another story.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 12:59 pm 

I guess living in Kansas puts me in the middle. I have heard lots west of the rockies but hearing stuff on the east coast seems a little tougher for me..........it happens but seems like west is better for me......

Todd

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:32 am 

I'm sure reception only SEEMS to go one way. It really doesn't. Looking at it scientifically, eastern stations shoot their broadcasts up into the sky, and by the time they reflect off the moon and come back down to the ground the earth has rotated so they end up falling on the west coast. Mind you, I'm not a scientist...oh, how could you tell? :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 4:39 pm 

While doing some research, I ran across this site about the history of "clear channel" AM stations which are (were) the most likely catch for cross-country DX reception.

https://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/ccs.htm

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 57 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next