Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 15, 2021 9:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE Toast R Oven - uneven toast
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:55 am 

Hi guys, I tried searching online but can't find any hints on why my 1970's era ... GE A12T93B toast R Oven isn't toasting the bottom of the slice of bread as well as the top of the bread.
Both 2 upper and both 2 lower elements are glowing seemingly as normal, but when the toast is perfect on the top the bottom side is only about half toasted mostly white.
I have the toast-selection slider set to about 3--1/2 or so. Top looks great... bottom hardly toasted at all... slightly darker near read of slice light in front bottom.

Is there some kind of adjustment for this maybe?

Funny thing is that I just found this demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhe6Y_SctU
But as he shows the bread toasting... Then ..he opens the door and the top of the toast looks fine but the bottom is 1/2 toasted just like mine... lol

Post subject: Re: GE Toast R Oven - uneven toast
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:20 am 

Might that have been intentionally built into the design? I had a toaster oven in college like 40 years ago, and I always expected toasting just one side of it unless I turned it over. I figured that if I wanted both sides toasted I would have gotten a regular toaster. Then again, mine may not have had a bottom element so you have to wonder what it would be for. Is your bottom element and spacing exactly the same as the top one?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:45 am 

This might not apply but I googled your model# and it looked similar enough that it might: My grandparents had a GE toaster oven very similar to that one from the 1960s. Theirs had a temperature sensor that would last about 5-10 years and then need to be replaced otherwise the cooking of the oven would be erratic. My grandfather was able to get them while he worked for the company very easily through internal channels but the last time it went out on theirs (late 90s close to ten years after he retired) it was now unobtanium for him and he replaced the whole oven instead.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:31 am 

sgath92 wrote:
This might not apply but I googled your model# and it looked similar enough that it might: My grandparents had a GE toaster oven very similar to that one from the 1960s. Theirs had a temperature sensor that would last about 5-10 years and then need to be replaced otherwise the cooking of the oven would be erratic. My grandfather was able to get them while he worked for the company very easily through internal channels but the last time it went out on theirs (late 90s close to ten years after he retired) it was now unobtanium for him and he replaced the whole oven instead.

The oven temp adjuster settings seem fine or close.. typical 250 degrees or 350 seem ok.
The top brown only works fine
The toaster settings work decently from low to high ... and 3-4 seems average typical toast setting.
It does have all 4 elements glowing... so perhaps can only be that the bottom element is possibly a little further away?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:01 pm 

Are the elements same size and symmetrical?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:30 pm 

It's set like that to allow for the toasting of sliced baps and sliced bread with toppings like cheeseā€¦ yum, yum et cetera.

Attachments:
content_002.jpg
content_002.jpg [ 560.5 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]
White sliced baps.png
White sliced baps.png [ 752.06 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]
Cheddar cheese.jpg
Cheddar cheese.jpg [ 526.61 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
Worcestershire sauce.jpg
Worcestershire sauce.jpg [ 201.48 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

You can try cutting a piece of aluminum foil to fit the crumb tray and put it shiny side up to reflect the most heat. Sometimes that tray gets dark with age and heat and it doesn't reflect like it once did. I assume you've cleaned out the crumbs and spills from the bottom and that's not the cause.

I've had several GE Toast R Ovens over the years and some had two elements stacked in the bottom center with a metal shield on top and the first model had two elements spaced apart on bottom and top. None of them did toast as evenly as a regular toaster. My grandmother had one of those Sunbeam automatic toasters and THAT was a toaster.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:39 pm 

What are sliced baps?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:42 pm 

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/baps

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:51 pm 

egg wrote:
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/baps

OMG. Naming the iPad was almost as bad.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:03 am 

jsowers wrote:
You can try cutting a piece of aluminum foil to fit the crumb tray and put it shiny side up to reflect the most heat. Sometimes that tray gets dark with age and heat and it doesn't reflect like it once did. I assume you've cleaned out the crumbs and spills from the bottom and that's not the cause.

I've had several GE Toast R Ovens over the years and some had two elements stacked in the bottom center with a metal shield on top and the first model had two elements spaced apart on bottom and top. None of them did toast as evenly as a regular toaster. My grandmother had one of those Sunbeam automatic toasters and THAT was a toaster.

I'll try the foil.
I cleaned the tray but yes it is dark.