Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 29, 2021 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Call centers are a poor excuse for help
PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 4:59 pm 

My AT&T internet was out/down this morning and I had no idea of a phone number to call. So the internet was back up after an hour so I poked around on line to find a number. Pages after pages of AT&T ads, I finally gleaned a single phone number, decided to call the number.
I was connected to one of those synthetic voice systems that made me answer a dozen synthetic questions, none which were related to my problem.
It finally said it was to connect me to a representative.
Guess what, I got a heavily accented person who was hard to understand (probably a call center in India)
After many questions stating he needed to verify my account I finally lost my temper and stated I just need the phone number to call when my internet service was down. He kept insisting he could not give me any information until he signed me into my account.
He kept insisting he could not give me any information until my account was verified.
When he asked for my password I told him I didn't know. He then started asking for my first pets name, I said bullshxt, which is not my pets name, but I was frustrated and mad.
I kept stating you don't need my account info, just give me a public phone number for technical support.
Told him to give me a supervisor and he agreed. After 3 minutes on hold listening to some clicking noise that is supposed to sound like key board activity, I hung up .
Bingo, the sup called me back immediately, and without further delay he gave me a number to call for tech support.
My service is back up so no need to try that number now, but it is stuck to my little bulletin board for future use.
I am to old to get frustrated with some dingbat who is following some screen list to answer questions and not be smart enough to understand my request.
Sorry for the long comment about automated call centers.

Post subject: Re: Call centers are a poor excuse for help
PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 5:22 pm 

your not the only one who feels this way....

I tried calling the FCC about DTV, and they give you a run around for ages on automated messages. Trying to find the Radio/Television division is impossible.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 5:35 pm 

Hiring competent people to speak to the customers costs extra money.
Many organizations have a bad case of the lazies.

Lots of times I refuse to do business with a company who will not let me talk to an informed person. I recently had a 7-month patty cake session with the Cal DMV. I am now several calls in a simple question from my auto insurance carrier. I have had to deal with this from the phone and power companies. Any big business now seems to hide behind robot operators.

I used to work for the State of California. We had to personally attend the phones all day long. I am not sure why.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 5:40 pm 

Well, shouldn't be too surprising, it's just a bad deal for everyone. Businesses don't want to pay wages to people who aren't pulling in revenue, and the kind of employees who are decently productive will be able to find something better to do than sit on the phone all day listening to complaints.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 6:12 pm 

Complaints is one thing, real service is another.

Yesterday I wanted a car part. The guy wanted to charge my credit card before he looked for the part. I made him look. He did not have it. If I had ordered on line I would have given up my credit card information, been charged, and gotten nothing for the for seeable future.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 7:21 pm 

Several years ago each month I bought Comcast Xfinity WiFi 30 days time for about $45 bucks. Each time I had issues with the signal I phoned customer support in Texas, spoke with a young tech who fixed the problem within a few minutes.

Life was good.

Then, Comcast moved customer support to the Philippines and females who understood very little English.

It was then I moved over to Cox Cable.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 7:27 pm 

I am an executor/trustee and have had problems dealing with several financial institutions, even though I have provided them with all the required documentation. I finally called the toll-free number for one institution and was surprised to be connected to a pleasant individual, who asked me a number of questions. When she asked if I had any accounts with their bank, I told her that I had accounts with them for over 30 years, and she replied that she would connect me with someone who could help me. I was surprised when I was connected to the same individual who I had previously provided all the documentation, but would not tell me anything about a trust account. Evidently this individual must have been told that she had to help me and was a lot more pleasant and informative.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 7:59 pm 

Hello Guys,
Call Centers what can I say but most of them are just bad and I commend companies like Mouser electronics their customer service is great .
sincerely Rich

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 9:03 pm 

3Transistors wrote:
I am an executor/trustee and have had problems dealing with several financial institutions, even though I have provided them with all the required documentation. I finally called the toll-free number for one institution and was surprised to be connected to a pleasant individual, who asked me a number of questions. When she asked if I had any accounts with their bank, I told her that I had accounts with them for over 30 years, and she replied that she would connect me with someone who could help me. I was surprised when I was connected to the same individual who I had previously provided all the documentation, but would not tell me anything about a trust account. Evidently this individual must have been told that she had to help me and was a lot more pleasant and informative.

Heh, that figures.

I'm pretty thankful that when my father passed he was only doing business with local institutions. Once I had the domiciliary letters, getting the bankers to help wasn't much of a problem. I think there's a lesson there for everyone.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 9:11 pm 

Try this next time;

https://gethuman.com/

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 9:20 pm 

fifties wrote:
Try this next time;
https://gethuman.com/

Interresting, thanks for that.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 10:59 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
I was connected to one of those synthetic voice systems that made me answer a dozen synthetic questions, none which were related to my problem.
It finally said it was to connect me to a representative.

A lot of times if you just hit 0, the system will automatically bypass the gauntlet of questions and connect you with a live representative.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on May Fri 07, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 11:00 pm 

I needed to get my mom's Tracfone activated as their website wouldn't do it. Calling them sent me through a maze of useless, automated menus. I finally started yelling cuss words and unintelligible crap until their system finally gave up and basically said "We can't understand you, so we'll connect you to a human being." :lol: I've gotten frustrated and done that with other companies like Verizon, too.

I wish that worked with the damn DMV. Due to Covid, the PA DMV didn't require us to come in to get a new picture taken for our driver's license if it expired. They just send you a new one with the old picture on it. I never received mine in the mail. When I called them, I was on hold for almost an hour and a half. :evil: They claimed it had been sent, but the USPS returned it as "undeliverable". Whatever. All I know is one of our two wonderfully efficient gubmint agencies screwed up, and I had to waste my time trying to straighten it out. :roll: It actually showed up when they resent it.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 11:08 pm 

I had an very good experience when I needed to make a change to my Earthlink account. The guy was polite and quickly fixed things as I requested. No, this was not a dream.

The rep I spoke with was in South Africa and spoke English as well as anyone.

On the other extreme, dealing with AT&T by phone is always an exercise in frustration no matter how well they speak English.

RRM

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 11:23 pm 

Once I actually got the Tracfone rep on the phone, she was foreign, but easily understandable, very kind, and helpful. The Verizon reps, not so much. You can tell they are reading generic responses from a list. To get any actual help, the first person you talk to is normally useless.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Getting someone on the phone who is bilingual doesn't mean they are less informed than someone who can only speak one language. Call centers are set up to follow repeatable paths. This is the most efficient way to ix most issues. The' person you are talking to has to follow specific procedures to get the information you need. If you were to just set to with a thousand people and have them answer the phones with the direction "just help them" it would be uncontrolled chaos. What number do I call? If the operator doesn't know the answer, they have to look it up, and that may require them inputting something into a search for it. Like your account number so they know where your service originates from.

However I probably have you all beat for stupidity. My internet and phone service are from the national telecommunications supplier, PLDT. If you have a service problem, say your landline phone doesn't work, you simply dial 171 on your landline phone to connect to repair services. They have no other phone numbers(the phone company). You can't call them from a cell phone, there is no number to call. No landline available? Office hours are ...

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 1:42 am 

I don't have Comcast service, but I had to call them this morning to help an elderly neighbor. I have talked to morons before, but these people take the cake! They refused to send a refresh signal to THEIR cable box because my neighbor was not signed up for their 3 year, 99 dollar service plan agreement ( which 2 different people kept telling me was a "fantastic" bargain). After hanging up on both of the Comcast representatives, I solved my neighbors problem by switching her dead cable box with one from an unused room she had.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 3:24 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Getting someone on the phone who is bilingual doesn't mean they are less informed than someone who can only speak one language. Call centers are set up to follow repeatable paths. This is the most efficient way to ix most issues. The' person you are talking to has to follow specific procedures to get the information you need. If you were to just set to with a thousand people and have them answer the phones with the direction "just help them" it would be uncontrolled chaos. What number do I call? If the operator doesn't know the answer, they have to look it up, and that may require them inputting something into a search for it. Like your account number so they know where your service originates from.

However I probably have you all beat for stupidity. My internet and phone service are from the national telecommunications supplier, PLDT. If you have a service problem, say your landline phone doesn't work, you simply dial 171 on your landline phone to connect to repair services. They have no other phone numbers(the phone company). You can't call them from a cell phone, there is no number to call. No landline available? Office hours are ...

Hope you have a friendly neighbor with working phone service :D

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 3:30 am 
Site Admin

Paul Dietenberger wrote:
Hope you have a friendly neighbor with working phone service :D

Their phone was out too. The called from work to report it.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 3:51 am 

The last call center I contacted you could hear a rooster crowing in the background. The person was helpful though.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next