Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 08, 2021 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VRPS monthly meeting -- Topic -- Watterson Radios
PostPosted: Jan Sun 18, 2015 1:22 am 

I attended this month's VRPS radio club meeting. The topic for this month was Watterson radios. I wanted to share pictures that I had taken of radios that were displayed during the meeting.

Post subject: Re: VRPS monthly meeting -- Topic -- Watterson Radios
PostPosted: Jan Sun 18, 2015 2:34 am 

Great variety of sets on display, we don't see too many Wattersons and only an occasional Davis up north.

Was there any discussion on how many sets Watterson actually built themselves, as opposed to contracting them from other manufacturers?

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: VRPS monthly meeting -- Topic -- Watterson Radios
PostPosted: Jan Sun 18, 2015 4:47 am 

Dennis,
The only thing that was discussed along those lines was that the first few years Watterson used components including cabinets manufactured in Chicago. They were all assembled in Dallas. After a few years Watterson had their own cabinet shop in Dallas as well as a metals work that punched out the chassis.
It was also discussed that Watterson did manufacture radios for companies placing other names on their radios. There was also conversation of one of their employees leaving the company and producing radios on their own. The guy only produced radios for about a year. It was thought that this person purchased the cabinets, chassis, etc. from Watterson and built them in his shop.
The discussion did cover the start-up of the company through to today. I didn't take notes but hope that there will be a write-up in next month's news letter.
There are a few officers of the club on ARF. Hopefully they will come in and place comments to maybe give more detailed information.