Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kutztown XLIV - September 17-18
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:45 am 

Joe, I could bring a 12-S-265 console if anyone wants a fresh-from-original-home one. Also have a 6-S-152 console.
Have a Silvertone model 1968A, their best ever in my opinion. Variable IF, 5 band 1936. I'll see what else. LOTS
to bring but just one van load, dont want to pull a trailer all the way from Michigan !

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:46 am 

We do the van for 2 nights on site at the show. Then off to my sisters in NJ, then brother and nephew in MD and home.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:08 am 

I suppose I should mention that I'm bringing tables of parts this time, as well as many trays of wood knobs. Booth 129, oddly next door to Mark, which I just now noticed.

Also 45 globe and ST, and 80 globes, as well as some other misc. types.

A Hickok tube tester to check them with if you wish. Grill cloth. Some assorted older but NOS capacitors.
Randomly occurring trays of miscellaneous items. Display boxes full of interesting and seldom seen doodads. Just too much to mention it all here. 12" speakers and possibly some smaller ones.

See y'all there

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 7:45 am 

So looks like with Barry and myself next to each other, you all should come armed with WANT LISTS and CLEAR PIX of knobs
if you are seeking some. Or bring samples to match, even better. I have about 6000 knobs, Mike Koste has about same I guess
and Barry's got a lot too.
Really, this is the best show in the USA probably overall, its worth travelling far to get to it. It takes me about10 hours drive from
Detroit area, but this will be about my 15th appearance there. I always sell well and see something I have never seen before.
And..... tell tall tales into the dark sky Friday eve as the ratty console cabinets burn in the pit near the food pavilion. Great fun !

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 12:17 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Joe, I could bring a 12-S-265 console if anyone wants a fresh-from-original-home one. Also have a 6-S-152 console.
Have a Silvertone model 1968A, their best ever in my opinion. Variable IF, 5 band 1936. I'll see what else. LOTS
to bring but just one van load, dont want to pull a trailer all the way from Michigan !

What are your prices on those radios ?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:40 pm 

Hi. For those in need, I will be bringing a lot of stock of my 10 grille cloth patterns. I will be there Thursday through Saturday, at table 415. Michael Katz.
For more info you can email me at radiogrillecloth@gmail.com

Will also be looking at taking requests for other patterns. Will need to see a decent size piece (at least 6 inches square, if possible) to start with.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 11:24 pm 

First here. Someone dropped off a van a little while ago.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:29 am 

That is a cool little camper!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:35 am 

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it so any ARF members want to use space 351 go ahead, it's paid for and I can't get my money back anyway. Enjoy. :(

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 8:10 pm 

I need pictures!!!

Lenny

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:23 am 

ronij8 wrote:
I need pictures!!!

Lenny

+1

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:57 pm 

I watched some footage of the meet posted by someone. Looked like a lot of empty tables and did not see a lot of people moving around. Looks like people could likely get some good deals.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:12 pm 

I was there Thursday and Friday. Following are 2 photos of each pavilion. I stood in the center of each and took a photo looking North and then South of each. Crowded with vendors and attendees.

Attachments:
Kutztown 1.jpg
Kutztown 1.jpg [ 734.03 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
Kutztown 2.jpg
Kutztown 2.jpg [ 765.36 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
Kutztown 3.jpg
Kutztown 3.jpg [ 719.31 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
Kutztown 4.jpg
Kutztown 4.jpg [ 709.31 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:26 pm 

I only took pictures of my own booth, and posting those up here would be kind of self serving ;-) I thought the show was pretty well attended, but really its only my second one. By 11am Saturday traffic had dwindled to a trickle and I just packed up and hit the road.

Only to have a 2hr delay due to I-70 being closed for an accident less than an hour from home. Ugghh ... but even that was interesting .. most of the parked vehicles got out and we were talking with each other. The maddening thing was we could actually see the accident about a mile ahead in the middle of a hill. I think i've only walked on an interstate once before, in a similar situation. odd feeling.

Fortunately everyone must have taken a potty break before they got to this unfortunate stretch of interstate lol.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 2:26 am 

Oh, by Friday late morning/early afternoon when it was in full swing, empty booths were minimal and it was quite crowded.

Wow, Barry, I must have missed that accident! I left around 10:45 Saturday and followed I-70 home. Not a single issue the whole way. (whew)
Sorry you got stuck in it...

I managed only a couple photos. I am always frustrated with myself as I want to take many photos, but never do! :(

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:34 am 

We had a great time! Basically went to chill, but grabbed a super nice AK 10A and a Zenith 6S241. We already had one of the latter for a night stand on Eva's side, so now I have a matching one. So, so nice to see all you great people, hope to meet more next time around. Eva got some great shots of the bonfire. I'll pester her to get them off the camera later this week.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 7:58 pm 

Another good Kutztown, PA event ! Thanks to the Renningers folks for keeping this "happening" going twice a year !

With this and the last May show, it appears that Friday has a crowd from about 0930 to near 3 PM. Thursday had little appearance of being busy, other than the early morning dealer to dealer action. Besides, Thursday is exhibitor-vendor setup day, with fellow vendors wanting a good deal or better, in order to resell. Saturday was an embarrassment. There was no crowd on Saturday.

Can this show get back like it used to be ? When Friday was opening day for everyone, these shows rocked ! If the club and organizers want us to stick around on Saturday, this is not working anymore. Maybe, the auction should be Saturday ?

Another interesting development for other clubs and shows is the show or club name changing from a simple "antique radio" to "antique radio and vintage electronics" incorporated in the name or description.

As an example, the New England club is now simply NEVEC, which has rewarded that club with new, younger members. Let's hope their show this weekend has a higher attendance than usual...

It was not too long ago that the Kutztown show had well over 1000 attendees, plus the 150-200 exhibitors. The parking lot before the "welcoming area" was hardly packed this show; only Friday and only for a short while.

Dear DVHRC and Renningers Kutztown representatives,
Please consider some of our comments. It is no secret these shows are waning for the return of more public collectors attending. Please assist us in making this event the grand event it is, only better and better...

Last edited by tubeactive on Sep Fri 24, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 9:09 pm 

Well, don't forget that it rained on and off all day Saturday. One other thing.... as radio vendors departed Friday night, Renningers moved antique vendors into their booth spaces. I'd call that part of the problem as well ... there is not too much in common with antique radio parts/radios and your basic antique shoppers. Some crossover of course but not much.

Not really sure how this could be solved, as there's no predicting who is going to stay or leave Friday night ... but just a thought.

This was my second show, and both of them occurred during Covid. I think that also had a significant effect on attendance. I know several people that stayed home for this reason alone. I was almost one of them.

I did have a good show but oddly, the Thursday dealer to dealer transactions were sufficient to make my whole show profitable. I was amazed....they didn't even let me get my truck unpacked. Can you say 'feeding frenzy' ?? LOL I am DEFINITELY not complaining.

Friday was a good day. Saturday, as noted, was weak. I packed up around 11.

Good seeing y'all :)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 10:40 pm 

Barry, Thank You for your perspective. While you are certainly no newcomer to antique radio, thank you for travelling from Ohio to join the Kutz crowd. You are very
welcome here.

I am glad the fellow exhibitor-vendor crowd made your Thursday arrival prosperous. I guess some folks "helped" you unpack.

When I finally got to walk around Thursday afternoon, I saw very few unclaimed tables. With over 250 tables, this could be the first show where the Thursday morning/afternoon tables were already mostly filled with collectables.

Within that Thursday crowd are quite a few "flippers" who either paid for a table, or didn't, but clearly do not come to sell or trade anything. Capitalism is a funny thing and the "buy today to list online tonite" folks should be paying to arrive early. Personally, I am pretty much done buying, so I purposely do not walk around Thursday morning in search of bargains

Covid or not, a crowd of mostly exhibitor-vendors, with a few hundred "public" attendees on Friday is not looking good for the vintage electronics world's future. Many vendors stayed Saturday because sales were low on Thurs-Friday, only to see a few people walking around.

Marketing is the key, in my humble opinion. If all the vendors requested some show date announcing postcards, which Renningers used to send us, some of these small flyers could be posted in strategic places, like record stores, the rare electronics parts stores, antique stores, libraries (they still exist), flea markets, restaurants, post offices, etc. to help spread the word. Since Renningers advertises consistently in antique newspapers n journals, I guess it is up to fellow collectors and collector-dealers to spread the word for this fantastic gathering. If we don't, we lose. If some of us help with publicity, we all win.

Those of us who are attending since early 2000 know the non-exhibitor crowd has been shrinking, even pre- covid. BTW, many hobbies of yore are feeling this. Vintage cars is a quick example. Depending where in the states we live, old cars may not be very practical. Car show attendees are lacking. Antique dealers are hurting too. But, old electronics are often very practical and still very useable...The crowds should be running to these enjoyable antique and vintage events; right ?...

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:00 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Well, don't forget that it rained on and off all day Saturday.

Don't you mean Friday?

It was quite dry Saturday, though I left about 11:00 AM.
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next