Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 10:52 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2021 2:50 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 06, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 7487
ttx450cap wrote:
is there some sort of national group that these state or local clubs belong to? might be of help to contact them for club choices?
Some may be affiliated with the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League), but likely some of them are simply independent clubs.

The ARRL can be found at https://www.arrl.org/

You can find affiliated clubs here: http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

Curtis Eickerman

_________________
http://curtiseickerman.weebly.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2021 7:40 pm 
Member

Joined: Jun Sun 15, 2014 5:37 pm
Posts: 1389
Location: Montreal, Quebec
The guy who ran a local code & theory class for decades, I think forty years, is in the Canadian amateur radio hall of fame. While he was living, he was given a life time passd to a NH hamfest.

People like that may not be out finding candidates (most small groups are bad at outreach), but have a great influence on bringing people that last step into the hobby. It wasn't about "passing the test', but it was an ongoing interaction. New hams at least knew someone at the meetings as a result.

I wonder if the simplification of the testing changes that. People can cram from home, no need for knowing someone who can send code because the code test is gone. The process seems to leave people detached.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 11:28 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: Erie, Pa.
mblack wrote:
The guy who ran a local code & theory class for decades, I think forty years, is in the Canadian amateur radio hall of fame. While he was living, he was given a life time passd to a NH hamfest.

People like that may not be out finding candidates (most small groups are bad at outreach), but have a great influence on bringing people that last step into the hobby. It wasn't about "passing the test', but it was an ongoing interaction. New hams at least knew someone at the meetings as a result.

I wonder if the simplification of the testing changes that. People can cram from home, no need for knowing someone who can send code because the code test is gone. The process seems to leave people detached.


You may have a point.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 3:43 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 10, 2020 2:55 pm
Posts: 2114
Location: SW, MI
Clubs are not much different then social forums?

_________________
only the dead fish go with the flow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 12:19 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: Erie, Pa.
ttx450cap wrote:
Clubs are not much different then social forums?


Many more people on forums, thus not a small group of old cranky crabs.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 12:34 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 10, 2020 2:55 pm
Posts: 2114
Location: SW, MI
Dalton wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
Clubs are not much different then social forums?


Many more people on forums, thus not a small group of old cranky crabs.

it would be interesting to see the ages of people that are on here.

when you get older I think you become less tolerant in some areas.

_________________
only the dead fish go with the flow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 2:47 pm 
Member

Joined: Sep Fri 07, 2007 2:27 am
Posts: 6694
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
ttx450cap wrote:
it would be interesting to see the ages of people that are on here.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... &hilit=age

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 8:24 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: Erie, Pa.
ttx450cap wrote:
Dalton wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
Clubs are not much different then social forums?


Many more people on forums, thus not a small group of old cranky crabs.

it would be interesting to see the ages of people that are on here.

when you get older I think you become less tolerant in some areas.



64 here.

I have come less tolerant of intolerance!

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 10:52 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 10, 2020 2:55 pm
Posts: 2114
Location: SW, MI
wiscojim wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
it would be interesting to see the ages of people that are on here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=181576&p=1509802&hilit=age

.

Think we need to update that, looks kind of old?

_________________
only the dead fish go with the flow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 1:10 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: Erie, Pa.
ttx450cap wrote:
wiscojim wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
it would be interesting to see the ages of people that are on here.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... &hilit=age

.

Think we need to update that, looks kind of old?


Sure does.

I'm sure we've had a huge influx of 18 to 29 year olds since this was taken.



:lol:

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 10:58 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 10, 2020 2:55 pm
Posts: 2114
Location: SW, MI
Dalton wrote:
I'm sure we've had a huge influx of 18 to 29 year olds since this was taken.
:lol:


That would be nice to see.. I noticed some younger folks that are interested in elc now days.

_________________
only the dead fish go with the flow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So I went to the local ham club meeting
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 4:38 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: Erie, Pa.
ttx450cap wrote:
Dalton wrote:
I'm sure we've had a huge influx of 18 to 29 year olds since this was taken.
:lol:


That would be nice to see.. I noticed some younger folks that are interested in elc now days.



There is going to be a real need for trained electronics people soon, imo.

I sincerely hope young people take an interest.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  


































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB