Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Michigan- Vintage Electronics "Fall Fair" Sat, Oct 2 2
PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 6:25 am 

The inside spaces currently are sold out.... HOWEVER, we are working on freeing up space that we had allocated to the "Bargain Auction" to fit in a few more sellers. No guarantees. Outside spaces are nearly unlimited, so if you are thinking of coming and an outside space is ok, WE HAVE SPACES ! Each outside space is a CAR PARK size of 10' X 20' .

We'll try to get sellers in as fast as possible but this is a new venue so please be patient with our volunteers. Bring your own tables if you can but we will probably have a few to rent at $10 ea if you need them (these are the tables only, not the space).

Everyone has been waiting for the return of our great Michigan shows, Hope to see you all there !
regards,

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 2:35 pm 

Best of luck with the show !
It's a very good sign of success when the organizers are still "working it" the day before the crowd shows.

Mark, Your good intentions are most evident ! In advance, let me say: Congratulations on another great show,....

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 9:12 pm 

Car is loaded and ready to go. Stop by and say HI. I'll be setup in the outside lot and wearing a USS Ranger ballcap.

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 5:33 am 

We set the show up today (a bunch of 50-75 yr olds dragging 8'x30" tables is no fun) but the amount of stuff in the Bargain Sale is unreal. Lots of great stuff there so come look thru the boxes and nice radios and stuff on the 10 tables we've filled at one end of the big pole barn ! Most of the stuff came from the kind donation of the late Jeff Kabat, a longtime MARC member who passed away earlier this year. Lots of battery radios and unusual stuff which will be on sale during the whole show this time.

Parking area is taped off, vendor area is taped off, spaces are set indoors, signs and banners are out, DJ Del Villareal the "Aztec Werewolf" will be playing cool vintage tunes all day and the weather looks to be great with showers holding off til evening. Thanks to Mike Dale, Ian Shackleford, Dick Jones, my wife Leann and especially MARC/MVEC President Jeff Lilly for all the work they put into this event.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 1:42 am 

It was a good show, everyone I spoke to was thrilled to finally have an MARC event to attend again! Just as important as the selling and buying activity is being able to greet your old friends and engage in conversation, and there was plenty of that going on. People were walking around carrying items they had purchased, which is also always a good thing to see. Of course turnout was not at the level of the MARC winter shows, but I doubt anyone expected it to be.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 5:37 pm 

It was a gorgeous day and we sold out the inside spaces and nearly doubled the expected outside sellers ! The downside was the non-vendor attendance was far below our expectations. Was it TOO nice a day and folks decided to do other things knowing that rain was moving in for later that evening and Sunday ? Did we not promote heavily enough in the public realm? Not sure, but everyone who attended said it was a fantastic show ! I was so busy I didnt get to walk the show until after noon. Most all sellers were set up til 2pm.

The Bargain Sale and Auction netted over $1300 for the club, which was in the upper ranges of recent shows. Much of that came from the estate of late MARC member Jeff Kabat, who the club wishes to honor for their kind donation of many very interesting, clean and desirable radios, kits and literature.

There were a handful of total newbies to our shows that came by my booth. One lady said she came with her husband and son, the son was really have a great time and she wanted to thank me and asked about other shows they could attend. They drove from the Chicago area because they just saw a listing online somewhere for our show. I didnt find out where they saw the listing but I told her how its such a ripe time for young folks to get into this hobby, and how if you learn to service vintage stuff you will never be out of work. I sent her to see Mike Sheppard from Northern Audio who was set up inside, as his shop is one of a very few public shops that specialize in vintage electronics, and he is overwhelmed with incoming work and always trying to find more techs. I am very glad they got to chat a while.

Good old direct personal contact is exactly what these live events are all about. Networking, socializing and sometimes, making an impact on a young person.... not only for the preservation of our hobby and the historical items we cherish, but maybe, just maybe, for their own life path.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2