Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Displaying home brew gear in contest question
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 7:20 pm 

I have a piece of home-brew gear I want to enter into a local vintage radio meet contest, but the problem is there isn't much to see from the outside. Would it be considered OK to display with the top cover removed?

Scott Todd

Post subject: Re: Displaying home brew gear in contest question
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 7:42 pm 

Pictures?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 9:02 pm 

Of course - everybody will want to see your workmanship - and see or hear it going.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 9:34 pm 

I think so, or have a photo sheet of the insides.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 12:50 am 

N0BST wrote:
I have a piece of home-brew gear I want to enter into a local vintage radio meet contest, but the problem is there isn't much to see from the outside. Would it be considered OK to display with the top cover removed?

Scott Todd

If this is something you built yourself it may not be “vintage”.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 2:13 am 

Ha, we get into this with "vintage computing" all the time. If you use 50 year old components in building an old computer, is it "vintage"? if so, you much of it needs to be vintage parts? 100%? 90%? Just the CPU?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 3:34 am 

It’s going to be the 6GY6 transmitter I built in a computer power supply case. Had a thread in the home brew section late last fall. Seems having pictures with it would be a good idea. Got one chap in our club who seems to have one or two home made crystal sets in the contest every year and he’s never been disqualified for using a few pieces of PVC. The dual control pentode was a fairly late development in tube technology but it’s still hollow state.

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 5:50 pm 

I've been a judge in many vintage radio exhibitions. As a judge, I want to see what you think is noteworthy in whatever you exhibit. Open 'er up if you think it helpful by all means. Photos with a line or two in bold type (16 to 24 point) to caption each photo. Keep in mind that at an exhibition folks will not likely have time to read through articles or pour-over detailed schematics or other drawings. I is great if you can give a couple of URL's to more in-depth information. Most folks have a smart phone on them and can snap a photo of your URL's. If you have a website, think about bundling your info into a .pdf. In recent years in my own exhibits I have included a QR code that takes you to that .pdf in an instant where you can download it in a couple of clicks.

Even if your gear is not vintage, it can very much have a place in such exhibitions. In the case of your mini broadcast station using 'hollow state' it is a device that can help to add greater appreciation to the the vintage radios tuned into audio content more in-line with the old hardware. I personally hate to hear 20s sets playing endless commercials, droning one-sided talk shows, etc. that all too often inflict the AM airwaves in my area. Many vintage sets were never designed to work with internal antennas or deal with a blizzard of RFI frequently encountered in exhibition halls, hotel meeting rooms, etc. Great if you can pump-in a few hundred microvolts to an adjacent radio to swamp that junk.

Here is a QR code for you....

Don't have a website? Your QR code could be a URL of a site with more info like radiomuseum.org or the threads here on ARF. or it could simply be a search criteria you can plug into a Google Query. (Often folks don't know enough about something to even ask the right questions.)

Robert

Attachments:
M55 URL.JPG
M55 URL.JPG [ 74.26 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]