Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New England Vintage Electronics Flea Market 9/25/21 7:30-12
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:51 am 

Attachment:
poster_8x11_nashua.jpg
poster_8x11_nashua.jpg [ 535.48 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

Post subject: Re: New England Vintage Electronics Flea Market 9/25/21 7:30
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:51 am 

Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 3:51 pm 

Coming up tomorrow, folks! It's not shown on the poster, but after the show concludes at 12PM, they will be holding a "fast-paced" auction of 100 items, information about which can be found here. Anyway, hope to see everyone there!
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 4:31 pm 

Hopefully they have some good stuff at the market.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:11 am 

Hope tp see you tomorrow

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 3:20 pm 

Hey All,

I had a GREAT time at Brookline.

I picked up some nice goodies and now have plenty to keep me on the bench all winter .

See you in the spring !

de N1NQC

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 8:51 pm 

krystallo wrote:
Hey All,

I had a GREAT time at Brookline.

I picked up some nice goodies and now have plenty to keep me on the bench all winter .

See you in the spring !

de N1NQC

It was indeed an excellent show! I picked up a few things, including one-and-a-half radios! Here are photos of some of my finds for good measure:
Attachment:
File comment: Including a pair of headphones
heathkit1.jpg
heathkit1.jpg [ 195.82 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Power supply chassis not included, but everything else seems to be there
angrr5_1.jpg
angrr5_1.jpg [ 236.89 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Reach out and touch someone
phones.jpg
phones.jpg [ 215.93 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Perfect for adding up how much I spent
calculator1.jpg
calculator1.jpg [ 226.4 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The "System For The Seventies"...from 1983!
aquarius_setup.jpg
aquarius_setup.jpg [ 241.09 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

And actually, there's another NEARC show before spring arrives! It's actually the Radio LII/NEVEE 4 show which would've been held this past spring, but got postponed to November 21st. I will be bumping the thread for it shortly.
-Adam

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 2:02 am 

I like that Panasonic calculator Adam, I almost thought about buying it. See you guys at NEVEE!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 3:44 am 

whfh99 wrote:
I like that Panasonic calculator Adam, I almost thought about buying it. See you guys at NEVEE!

Yeah, I have a thing for early calculators, and this one should go nicely with the Panasonic JE-1001 desktop model I picked up awhile back:
Attachment:
File comment: Individual VFD tubes!
pana1001_5.jpg
pana1001_5.jpg [ 195.47 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 4:00 pm 

Hey All,

I am thinking about Nashua. I'll have to see how things shake out when the date approaches.I am more in the market for parts ,wire, etc -not so much for complete sets.I am pretty well stocked up since the last two Brookline events,but we'll see.

Adam, Ah yes, the old CR-1 ! I got mine many years ago by doing a bit of yard work for a very elderly ship spark operator. This guy was such a salty dog that he had a porthole built into his house !

I recall some years back there was a guy on ebay ( in Japan ?) who wanted to hoard all of these that he could get. He paid some absurd prices for maybe 8 or 12 of these radios. Don't get me wrong , I love my CR-1 , but I wouldn't pay $200+ for one, sorry. This rig seems to be the only "serious" factory built survival crystal radio I've seen.

The only other 50's/60's offering I know of was the B-1 Disaster Radio ( with the mushroom cloud on the box). This rig had super cheapo loop stick coil tuning , a TOY compared to the CR-1.

I am not sure how much good a crystal set would be if the lower 48 was suddenly covered in 6" of glass though. Every station would be knocked down or have no grid power.Still , a nice traveler's or collector's piece.

K

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 10:04 pm 

krystallo wrote:
Adam, Ah yes, the old CR-1 ! I got mine many years ago by doing a bit of yard work for a very elderly ship spark operator. This guy was such a salty dog that he had a porthole built into his house !

I recall some years back there was a guy on ebay ( in Japan ?) who wanted to hoard all of these that he could get. He paid some absurd prices for maybe 8 or 12 of these radios. Don't get me wrong , I love my CR-1 , but I wouldn't pay $200+ for one, sorry. This rig seems to be the only "serious" factory built survival crystal radio I've seen.

The only other 50's/60's offering I know of was the B-1 Disaster Radio ( with the mushroom cloud on the box). This rig had super cheapo loop stick coil tuning , a TOY compared to the CR-1.

I am not sure how much good a crystal set would be if the lower 48 was suddenly covered in 6" of glass though. Every station would be knocked down or have no grid power.Still , a nice traveler's or collector's piece.

K

Very cool! My early crystal radio builds were fairly boring, derived from various examples of Radio Shack's "Project Kits" I got as a kid. I later built a couple of crystal radios from magazine and book instructions, which can be found on this page. This is probably the first commercially-offered crystal radio I've owned, even if it was originally sold as a kit. I too had seen the high prices these CR-1s tend to sell for on eBay, and was glad to find mine at the Brookline show for $10. It's currently largely 'deaf', only picking up a couple of signals which are barely audible, but I'm hoping the fix will be fairly simple, like a new diode or a better ground.
-Adam

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2021 1:58 pm 

Hey Adam ,

Ten bucks for a CR-1 is AWESOME !

Not too much that can go wrong as long as both var caps are good .C-3, C-4 ="problematic" silver mica type ? Diode as you mentioned, also good ant/gnd, decent phones Z match , etc ,etc.

Lots of info online

Enjoy , it's a GREAT find !

K