Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 08, 2021 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CHRS Radio Day By the Bay On board the USS Hornet. Dec 18
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 7:58 pm 

After being canceled several times the California Historical Radio Society will be having its "Radio Day By the Bay" December 18th. But this time its going to be a totally different experience. We have been invited to house the event on board the USS Hornet, a retired WW2 era aircraft carrier. The event will be inside the hanger deck, which is about the size of a couple of football fields. So TONS of room, more than we have at the museum. We will have a live radio show, music, food, and of course the auction AND lots and lots of other radios and stuff for sale. This also means we can do it regardless of weather. The ship does have handicap access in case people need it. The hanger can get chilly in the winter as they often open up the sides. So be prepared. While we hope the Covid situation will be much improved, all Alameda county mask and covid guidelines will be enforced on board... again, we hope the situation will be much improved by then, as it already is here as we speak.

The ship is located here in Alameda on the former Alameda Navy Base next to the old Clipper lagoon.
https://uss-hornet.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1 ... ekEALw_wcB

Details are being worked out. Any volunteers who wants to help load and setup on board should reach out to us. If you want to do so reach out to us via our site or let me know via PM.

https://californiahistoricalradio.com/

Stay tuned to this space as more things are hammered out and set in motion.

Post subject: Re: CHRS Radio Day By the Bay On board the USS Hornet. Dec 1
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 9:21 pm 

I see that the Hornet is docked at the same pier that my ship, USS Ranger, was docked at when I first boarded it back in 1974. I remember the Enterprise being docked next to us and when you stood on the flight deck of the Ranger you couldn't see the flight deck of the Enterprise.

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:05 am 

They are finally fixing a lot of the old hangers up. I am glad they have decided to preserve as much of it as they can. Plus those old buildings are very well constructed. The Hornet was never stationed in Alameda but the dock its at is the same dock that the Dewey raids departed from.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 4:45 pm 

Here are some updates.

This starts at 8:00AM and goes to 3PM.
We will have both an auction and restored sets
Don Neely's Royal Society Jazz Orchestra
Radio play: "Out for Christmas"
Tight Pajamas featuring Susie Davis
Volunteer of the year and Don Sherwood awards cermonies
Live DJs spinning records
Horns O' Plenty band

The Hornet charges an admission fee for entry: $20 adults, $15 veterans and seniors, Juniors $10, Children under 6 free
Admission of course gets you access to the whole carrier. I used to volunteer on it and ifs HUGE, which itself can take hours to see.