Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8 track repair
PostPosted: Oct Thu 23, 2014 2:50 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
GSD wrote:
I have used the fine graphite lubricant. Applying small amounts, as suggested, still results in graphite on both sides of the tape. How does this affect the play function?
There's always going to be SOME graphite on the oxide side of the tape - just endemically by having it constantly rub up against the graphite-impregnated surface.

But - presumably if you don't overload the graphite application - after a few trips round the loop - most of the new graphite should end back up filling the little micro-dents manufactured into the backing for just exactly this purpose. Just remember to clean the heads often with one of those long swabs on a stick and some alcohol since it will gum up the heads the same as the crap voice-grade tape they use.

Of course you can minimize this in doing it by hand on a cart-winder and just get a graphite cloth to apply it with - which will then also wipe away any excess - but that takes a little practice if you don't want your tape to end up in a heap all over the floor.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 24, 2014 4:25 am 

I found some dense foam, cut it to fit, reassembled the case and am now listening to what, so far, is a fully functional 8-track. Thanks again to everyone who weighed in on this. If I find the 8-tracks that are lurking in a box long forgotten I will attempt some more resurrections. This was fun.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 24, 2014 4:51 am 

GSD wrote:
This was fun.
That's all. Now take the record and film cartridge out please and return them to their envelope. Please select the next lesson, or progress to the next box or series as your instructor recommends. Thanks for using the Borg Warner System80.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2014 9:41 pm 

I have an 8-track and the end of the tape has separated from the tab at the center of the reel. What should I use to reattach it?

Last edited by Squire on Nov Thu 06, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2014 9:51 pm 

See above links for sensing foil to put on the dull side of the tape, and splicing tape to put on the shiny/graphite side of the tape and proceed as stated above to achieve correct tension.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2014 10:02 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
See above links for sensing foil to put on the dull side of the tape, and splicing tape to put on the shiny/graphite side of the tape and proceed as stated above to achieve correct tension.

K. I'll read it over again, thanks!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

This thread jarred a memory of mine from 1968. I was going to buy a new 1968 Camaro (my dad said no) and the car had an factory 8 track. Since I hadn't bought any 8 track cartidges yet to give the Camaros stereo a try, I ran down to our local Gibsons Discount Store and bought my first 8-track, The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour! Rushed back to the car dealer and the brand new Camaro with a factory 8 track, the 8 track player didn't work in the car! Waited a year and bought a brand new 1970 GTO instead, and installed my own 8 track stereo. One of those Tenna(?) that played both 4 and 8 track cartridges. That was a good player, lasted for decades.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 07, 2014 1:06 pm 

SteveT wrote:
One of those that played both 4 and 8 track cartridges.
That was a good player, lasted for decades.
People have to remember that back in those days, there was almost as much on Muntz 4-track as there would be on cassette some ten years later - and since the formats were different versions of the same technology - it didn't take off like the combination 8-track/cassette players that populated the auto world in the early 70's.

The only thing that ``saved'' the 8-track (if you can call it that) was quadraphonic - otherwise the 8-track would have had its' last carts made in 1975 instead of 1985. What's funny is - they were using better grade tape - in the 4-tracks compared to 8-tracks - not to mention better shell designs especially in the latter days when the 4-track started having the dent in the side to keep the tape wedged in the player (lots of 4-track-only players had trouble engaging the pinch roller from underneath the tape).

Plus - the 4/8 track players by and large were made under pretty close to the same standards as the radio station cart machines - at least in the beginning. Being all metal - they could stand up to the abuse of the road and people trying to drive and ditz with tapes at the same time.

Why were there no laws then about that like there is today?

Combination 8-track/cassette units by comparison were a nightmare and a half - but in the early 70's people made em fly off the shelves cuz guys were already getting impatient dragging through 8-track bins and then having to repeat the process for the cassette bins in order to find their favorite album.

I remember when Music City (a large Midwestern music and movie chain of the 70's) got the bright idea to put cassettes in the same carriers as 8-tracks and mix them together in the bin. By 1975 both home users as well as those in a car had both 8-track and cassette players - and since Walkmans wouldn't be invented for another few years yet - sales of tapes in general skyrocketed because people could just go to the TAPE section - find their album and be out in a matter of minutes.

And the players were built to last - even disproving the old ``jack of all trades, master of none'' theory of combi-players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 9:46 pm 

ndiamone wrote:

Yes Im getting BETTER at 8 track repair myself but the hardest part is OPENING THEM!!!!!!!

Its not easy!! (@ least for me) I just replaced the pad in my Pink Floyd Cartridge (Dark side of the moon) and the foil is bad,its lifting up and it stops when it comes thru..... Havent fixed that yet..... I tried overlapping with new foil but it deosnt seem to hold..

8 tracks are FUN but they can be alot of work!!

PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 10:03 pm 

I would agree that the toughest detail in 8-track repair is getting the damned cartridges opened in the first place. They loved to paste the labels over specific points that have tabs going into slots, hiding them. It just takes experience.

Get yourself some cartridges -with tape content that you don't care about- to use for their parts; pinch rollers and cases. Then if you destroy a good cart, you can put it's tape in the spare cartridge. Lighter Fluid (Naptha) and a razor blade will work well in removing the label, in order to re paste onto the new cart.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 11:18 pm 

I been doing it since I was like 8 or 9 so I guess I been doing it in my sleep so long everybody else just drops theirs off here and I do the whole thing in like ten minutes including unwinding onto a small reel and then rewinding back onto the cart reel with a radio station cart winder.

For the sonically-welded ones that I don't want to pry apart and get nicks - I'll play it to the splice - thread it out - unsplice it - splice on a reel of leader tape as long as the album is (I take from a 5-inch reel of leader and then just use the leader over again later for its' intended purpose) so that while the album is being spooled out onto a reel for inspection, repair and re-lube - the leader is being wound into the cartridge at the same rate.

Once the leader comes out the center I splice the album onto the tail of the leader and reverse the process. Once the album comes out the center, I thread it thru the two front teeth, pull it out a little bit, cut a little bit of the ends off, splice the graphite side w splicing tape and the foil side w new foil - push it back in and all is well.

Since most of the sonically welded carts also have the metal head pads w the little square felt on `em - unless the head pad springs are overly bent or broken - I just tweeze new pads w new adhesive in there and go on abt my business.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 3:56 pm 

I have 100+ 8-Tracks,3-4 players.I pick themup usually for .50c- 1$,may go 2$ if desierable.The first thing i do is plug them in on my lousy portable player,play till track ends,then open them up.Dont waste your time thinking their gonna keep playing for you,just a matter of time,they break at the splice point/foil.I use approx 4"x4" peice of tinfoil pressed flat onto thin 2way tape,& cut it size.3m weatherstrip for foamstrip.Pull roller,clean with alcahol,clean all remnants of worn tape,dust etc.compressed air in the can/qtips etc.Small touch of lube on inside of rollers.Make sure your tape tension is good,& put it back together,usually 10-15 minutes a cartrage to repair.Works great.Their actually very reliable,& sound great when the cartrage is of quality,some were crap to begin with from new.A quality player as well is important.They dont like heat or moisture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 4:20 pm 

What I hate is ITS NOT EASY OPENING THEM!!

I stick a little screwdriver in and try to push the tab back but it doesnt release!!

I have ruined more than I have fixed :(

Im glad to have more pads and stuff to use though :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 9:11 pm 

Dude111 wrote:
What I hate is ITS NOT EASY OPENING THEM!!

I stick a little screwdriver in and try to push the tab back but it doesnt release!!

I have ruined more than I have fixed :(

Im glad to have more pads and stuff to use though :)

Many of them have tabs located under the labels. If you use Lighter Fluid and a razor blade to lift the label (soak it, wait a few minutes, then gently push the blade at an angle against one edge of the label and proceed to peel it out), you will then see the hidden tab(s).

PostPosted: Feb Thu 07, 2019 6:13 pm 

Hi Everybody,

I have a few 8 track tape players that I've repaired. I was able to pick up a new capstan belt at http://www.turntableneedles.com. It's amazing to me how heavy and well made these players were. If you're wondering how to repair 8 track tapes, there's more than a few how-to videos on YouTube.

Tom

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 3:01 am 

Whoever made the plastic roller for 8 track cartridges should be shot.

I've got one that doesn't seem to want to play properly unless I press the cartridge in a little harder.

Have looked at my 8 tracks and no rubber rollers will work in place of the plastic one.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 4:24 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
Whoever made the plastic roller for 8 track cartridges should be shot.

I've got one that doesn't seem to want to play properly unless I press the cartridge in a little harder.

Have looked at my 8 tracks and no rubber rollers will work in place of the plastic one.

Take the tape out of that particular cartridge, and put it in another one.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 12:23 pm 

I could, but it would have a different label.

That said the roller seems to spin free enough so could the tape be a little tight or lacking lubrication?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 11:08 pm 

There is no lubrication on the tape itself (or certainly shouldn't be). Safest thing to do is transfer the tape to another cartridge. If it works well there, then use lighter fluid or Goo Gone and a razor blade to remove the paper label from the original cartridge, and affix it to the new one.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 2:54 am 

Silicone lubricant has been common on recording tape since the days of Scotch 111.