Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 1:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Neil Peart
PostPosted: Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:45 pm 

Another great has passed... :(

Time for some Chronicles

Post subject: Re: RIP Neil Peart
PostPosted: Jan Fri 10, 2020 11:37 pm 

Absolutely the best drummer ever! I was a huge Rush fan since I first heard of them in high school in the 70's. 2112 was my first Rush album. RIP Neil, we'll surely miss you but remember for years to come!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 1:31 am 

Wow, was just jamming some Rush today. No doubt one of the best percussionists of all time. Crank up some YYZ in his honour...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 3:21 am 

As a Toronto boy of a certain age, this hits especially hard. Had an opportunity to meet him a few years back, but in the professional setting I wasn't comfortable disturbing him. Life is full of "coulda, shoulda's"...
RIP Neil

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 3:47 am 

I believe Neil wrote most if not all of the RUSH songs. Funny thing, when they first toured back in the day with KISS, Gene and others used to make fun of the guys like Neil and Geddy for staying in their rooms and not partying. I saw them in 1984 for their Grace Under Pressure tour, a really great band...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 3:30 pm 

Ladies and Gentlemen, the professor on the drums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRMOJQDiLU

My first Rush concert was, I think in 1981, the Exit Stage Left tour. Twice! Two nights in a row! Tickets were like $20 LOL. And we had to go to the local record store to buy them. Everyone arrived before tickets went on sale and you hoped tickets were still available by the time you reached the window. Those were the days. Now I prefer my concerts on Blu-ray at home :mrgreen:. I attended all but maybe 2 or 3 tours since then until they threw in the towel. They always had a kick butt encore. Grace Under Pressure was one of the tours I missed but I did see it on DVD and agree, a great show although all their shows were great.

Geddy's response to the mis-timing of 2112 is hilarious on the Show Of Hands tour. You can see it here starting about 3:15. (A true Rush fan will watch the whole video for a better experience but it is rather long.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDjx6aM-7VM

Over the summer there was a 1 night only Rush concert playing around selected movie theaters. That was an awesome experience! It was like being in front row. Large screen with surround sound, felt like you were really there. Only downside was that the volume was way too loud! Louder than actually being there. Funny to see a bunch of dedicated, mostly old guys in the theater. Or is that scary? I don't know... I could go on forever but I'm sure you had enough.

Quote:
As a Toronto boy of a certain age, this hits especially hard. Had an opportunity to meet him a few years back, but in the professional setting I wasn't comfortable disturbing him. Life is full of "coulda, shoulda's"...
Understandable considering he was an introvert and had a fear meeting fans.