Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pop Musician (lost art)
PostPosted: Aug Sat 25, 2018 11:56 pm 

I am still convinced older technology beats digital. In the seventies the punk rock and new wave bands used boom box radio cassette players to record cheap demos. These were mailed to record labels. Excluding a tape gets chewed they were reliable. My gripe with digital is it created unimaginative musicians. The really good bands in former years used their creativity and talent to make way out sounds. Check out Tomorrow Never Knows or Good Vibrations. Greater use of vocals too (Queen). Likewise although not a fan I admired Abba due to the good songwriting. Digital made it too easy. To be honest I have a nineties synth and I have more than.enough scope with it to not need software. Pitch bending is something I use now to add weird fill-ins. By the way we were chatting the othet day and saying how good the electric bands were in the eighties. These were bands that made use of the latest synths. I was hugely impressed by Scritti Politti. The Police had a different sound to the norm. I also recall Stanley Clarke. I recall the eighties as the last burst if talented pop and the VCR horror classics like Haloween.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 28, 2018 10:50 pm 

I wrote a nice song the other day. It was an old bluegrass riff I had made but I re-used it in another way. One of my better songs. Most musicians write sad ballads connected to the loss of a girlfriend or friend. Example: In My Life. Here Today. Unusually I made the lyrics around my departed German Shepherd who passed away in February. I had all the background guitar on three tracks. Then I made attempts to sing a melody and soon the lyrics appeared. After a while the singing bedded in. I haven't done the B part yet. This is the part of a song I dislike to do for fear it will either not fit or not be as good. I recall one story about Mccartney having written the Baby You're A Rich man melody but there he got stuck. He gave it to John Lennon. John said he would try his best. He came back later with the "how does it feel to be one if the beautiful people." They later added the clavioline intro and it became a decent song. Sadly I don't have any feedback from other musicians. Amazingly I appear to be the only guy in town who loves to try and create music. Yesterday I did finally play one track to two women I know who pleaded to hear me singing on a track. Maybe they were sibcere or maybe they were polite. Anyway I.would hate to be a busker. One busker shared some people threw a few coins but one guy mocked his efforts and advised not to give up the day job.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 29, 2018 3:41 pm 

'Lay Lady, Lay' is a song about a dog.
'Baby, You're a Rich Man' came to mind recently when we moved into this newer home in a retirement town. I think it was written for Brian Epstein.
They were a song-writing team in those days, no doubt.
Maybe this time, burn your recordings onto a disc?

PostPosted: Aug Wed 29, 2018 4:23 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
'Lay Lady, Lay' is a song about a dog.
'Baby, You're a Rich Man' came to mind recently when we moved into this newer home in a retirement town. I think it was written for Brian Epstein.
They were a song-writing team in those days, no doubt.
Maybe this time, burn your recordings onto a disc?

It's probably possible for me to upload tracks from my mobile phone voice recorder files. They are after all a file. What I really need to get is a pocket digital studio which would allow me to edit my vocal and add layers or reverb. Still there may be some value in struggling for now as I am because it forces me to accept when the singing is awful and start again. After all, in McCartney's Liverpool era, the locals made their own guitars!

I was watching Columbo the other night and Johnny Cash starred as a singer. I thought to myself he has a really strong voice but definitely a true baritone. He would sound ridiculous trying to sing like Michael Jackson.

Yes the song was about Brian Epstein.