Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 09, 2020 12:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Very Light Gripe "Greatest Hits Collections"
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:21 pm 

hi folks,

i say this with humor but with a bit of disgust as well.

we all have seen and or purchased the "20th Century Masters Collection" ; "The Definitive Collection" ; "The Greatest Hits Collection" ; "The Ultimate Collection" ; "Collector's Choice Edition" albums and the like by specific artists/groups.

i find it very annoying that no mater which "greatest hits collection" one buys of a particular artist/group, there are at least THREE songs that were fantastic hits that are NOT on the disc.

i recently bought a "cars greatest hits" cd with quite a few songs on it. i can't remember which two "definitive" great hits were missing, but i just could not believe someone could call this a "greatest hits CD" with that song missing.

at the same time on these "greatest hits albums" that are missing great hits, there are two to four songs that i have NEVER heard of.

obviously, one has to buy three or four greatest hits albums to get all the songs.

this situation even exists on two CD collections such as the rolling stones "HONK" compilation.

can you believe that they DO NOT INCLUDE: one hit to the body, shattered, highwire, and get ready for this...she's so cold :roll: .

yet again, there are craptastic songs on the album that i never even heard of.

no wonder i rarely purchase CDs like this. with amazon music, i can download any song that i want for a buck, plus or minus 30 cents, and get all the hits.

steve

Post subject: Re: A Very Light Gripe "Greatest Hits Collections"
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:29 pm 

And then there's the group Steppenwolf. Steppenwolf had 7 top-40 hits and 10 original studio albums, yet they've had no less than 14 greatest hits albums.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:32 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Surely this is not news to you?

The marketing people are smart people. They know how to pus your wallet to the limit. That's what they get paid for.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:42 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Surely this is not news to you?

no

i forgot to mention the marketing variable in my post above.

cut me some slack, i haven't been out of bed since friday except for going to the dr twice and to shower twice per day.

i've been hit hard.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 9:05 pm 

I 100% agree with all that. Or when you buy a greatest hits album only to find out the one song you really wanted to hear is in fact a live recording, which usually sucks. There were also different versions of the same song recorded. "Under the boardwalk " by The Drifters had two versions. The album version was, "We'll be making love" was changed in the 45 single to "We'll be falling in love " due to the decency standards of the day, and so it could be played over the air. There are also versions of songs where one version will have an instrument that's heard,or the vocals heard will be slightly different from the other. I don't know why that is, just saying it is.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 1:53 am 

OH YES !

i forgot about the few "live" cuts that are thrown in as "greatest hits" INSTEAD OF the studio version.

i have already refused to purchase a few 'greatest hits' CDs just because there were live cuts on it instead of the studio version.

that's why i like amazon music. i can download whatever i want.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 6:56 am 

Sometimes some songs are omitted because they were recorded for a different record company and they couldn't get the rights. These collections may have titles like "All the (record company) hits by (group name).

I have one collection that admits to having an alternate take of the main hit because the original tape was destroyed in a flood. It's pretty close, though.

And then there are the goofy things that sometimes happen in the original release. For example, the Beatles song (Please Please Me?) where they messed up the lyrics on one of the verses. The mono LP has the mistake but the stereo LP does not. I don't have the 45 so I don't know about that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 6:46 pm 

About 5 years ago while crate digging, I found a Johnny Rivers "Greatest Hits" Lp. After the first 30 seconds of "Secret Agent Man" I found it was a re-recording. In fact, all the tracks were. It was Johnny Rivers (easy to recognize voice) alright. I kept if for like 3 weeks and tossed it out.
RW